In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

21st Century Veterans Preference Act

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited April 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I propose we push for a change in Veterans Preference Law for Federal Civil Service jobs.

By law now, the only jobs that are restricted for veterans only are:
"custodian, guard, elevator operator, and messenger".

1. Elevator operator is no longer a job in the United States.
2. Guard is really no longer a job in Federal Service since contractors took over and don't have to abide by such law.
3. Messengers....no longer a civil service position.
4. Custodian...the only civil service job really out there you can get, but with the govt. leasing facilities to save money the numbers have dropped for jobs.

A. I propose "elevator operator" be modernized to include forklift operator, crane operator, aircraft loader operator, and heavy equipment operator. If you pull a lever to make something go up or down....it complies with "elevator operator".

B. I propose "guard" to include jobs within the Transportation Security Agency at airports as a security screener. I propose the Border Patrol jobs also to comply with "guard" and these positions should only be for veterans for National Security reasons.

C. I propose "messenger" to include all jobs with the US Postal System, the FCC, and all jobs involving computers and the internet with the Federal Government be adopted as "messenger" and hire veterans first for these jobs for National Security.

D. I propose "Custodians" also include all Federal Inspectors of all agencies. They are the Custodians of America's security.

There hasn't been a push by veterans to modernize the jobs delegated for Veterans only in the Federal Govt.....'til now.

Who's with me?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I support you all the way, but I was under the impression that Vets did get prefference in applying for federal jobs.?.? ...and disabled vets, even moreso.?.?

What I would like to see is better health care for service connected problems (and less difficulty in getting your health problems classified as service connected)...and better/easier compensation for the said problems. I hate how they try to sweep everything under the rug. I went through 2 years of testing with the Persian Gulf Registry/Review, only to have all my medical records conveniently lost when my doc recommended me for 100% disability...that's the kind of BS I'd like to see stopped.
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    They do. being a vet does not guarantee that you will get the job. No not all the Security positions are contract. The Guard job series in federal service 085. The vets will get preferance for interviews. We do it for all jobs announsed for our installation. These are for jobs ranging from 0103 which is just about all office type jobs to 085 Guard.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Veterans get a "preference" for Federal job but we all know that means squat.

BUT Federal Law states "custodian, guard, elevator operator, and messenger" are jobs that Veterans WILL get.

Thus why I want to modernize elevator operator to include forklift operator, heavy equipment since there no longer are "elevator operators" in America.

The old Veterans Preference law needs to have some modernization.

I am one of 400 30% or greater disabled vet's that got a Federal job in 2005.

400! Seems like too low of a number.
    edited November -1
    can you post a link to the law you referance. I could get it at work, but if you have a link that would be much simpler. Thanks
    edited November -1
    5 US Code Section 3310:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode05/usc_sec_05_00003310----000-.html

""In examinations for positions of guards, elevator operators, messengers, and custodians in the competitive service, competition is restricted to preference eligibles as long as preference eligibles are available.""

The History of Veterans Preference:

http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vghist.asp

Started at the Revolutionary War.
    edited November -1
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ... preference points is a plus, but must still meet the job qualifications.
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    but red...

who the heck would want another government job after all the crap we went through in the first palce?
    edited November -1
    If the Vet's don't get govt. jobs you will just be letting the Phillipino and Chinese mob run the show.

They will hire their friends and control the system. The Federal Government is more corrupt than anyone can fathom. A girl just got hired here that allowed a supervisor to touch her. This Phillipino supervisor is a touchy kinda guy....touch's all the women in the work environment. A girl came over asking if they were hiring anymore....well she got the job.

The job was never announced as required by law. Hate to see what she does to get a promotion.

The govt. needs veterans to fix the system and kick some people out of a job.
    edited November -1
    Red223: Amen to that. I have seen them announce a position yet have someone pre-selected. Preselection is another big no-no. I work for the Government for the retirement and try to stray away from all the political crap. I have yet to see another agency that has a better retirement plan than Uncle Sam. The health insurance sucks. The dental and vision plans are in the toilet.
    edited November -1
    Uncle Sam's retirement plan is currently going down the tube.

If you serve X amount of years in the Reserves doing a weekend a month you get a retirement check after 60 something years old.

Now they are trying to push active duty into the same scheme. You serve 20 years and retire....but you don't get a penny until you are 60 years old.

There will soon be no benefit to going active duty over Reserves.

Civil Service is going the same route, old folk now retiring are in a better system. New folk coming in are in a whole different retirement scheme.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I support you all the way, but I was under the impression that Vets did get prefference in applying for federal jobs.?.? ...and disabled vets, even moreso.?.?

What I would like to see is better health care for service connected problems (and less difficulty in getting your health problems classified as service connected)...and better/easier compensation for the said problems. I hate how they try to sweep everything under the rug. I went through 2 years of testing with the Persian Gulf Registry/Review, only to have all my medical records conveniently lost when my doc recommended me for 100% disability...that's the kind of BS I'd like to see stopped.

I had a complete copy of my records one yr before I retired.
    They tired to conventently lose my records at Seymour Johnson before I retired, I think I saw it coming, I had a complete copy, with xrays.
    They wanted to know how I did that. My secert was I had a friend that worked over a weekend. He got a case pulse a fifth. But if they were going to pull that on me, it was not going to work.

My record were 6 to 7 inches thick.

I did the same thing a few months before I got out (6 years)smart move I think.