In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cost of the wars impact on the economy

One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
edited June 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
What do ya think. I work for Uncle Sam in the civilian sector and we are feeling the pinch.

Comments

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    If you are a Defense Contractor you are living fat in these times.

All the crap the government buys, when it gets rid of it they used to sell it at DRMO's (defense reutilization and marketing offices) and anyone could buy it.

Taxpayers paid for it and they got a chance to buy it back. No more.

DRMO is in a contract with govliquidation.com. They have a contract to buy all the govts. junk at one set annual price and they now sell it on their website for profit.

Whatta scam. Get it for pennies and bank millions.

American taxpayers lose out yet again.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you could bid on their contract Red. I'm also sure that it costs the Gov't less money to do it this way...which is fine by me. If I had the financial backing, I might consider bidding on their contract. It's what free enterprize is all about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It just stumpsme as to how some of the agencies can cut all overtime, and on the same card, turn around and spend a 100,000.00 on updating office furniture. The priorities in spending are in the crapper. Another thing is they will spend thousands on equipement that just sits around and never gets used (it looks cool so lets get one). Your tax dollars hard at work.....yea right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by One shot
    It just stumpsme as to how some of the agencies can cut all overtime, and on the same card, turn around and spend a 100,000.00 on updating office furniture. The priorities in spending are in the crapper. Another thing is they will spend thousands on equipement that just sits around and never gets used (it looks cool so lets get one). Your tax dollars hard at work.....yea right.

They have to spend "X" amount of dollars or their budget will be smaller next year. I'm sure they have seperate budgets for material things than for personel. The Fed. Gov't wastes billions of dollars every year. If most of gov't were privatized, we'd save hundreds of billions of dollars. A for profit business cannot stay afloat by going into the red. Bush tried to privatize several things when he first took office. He encountered so much resistance that he gave up on the idea...damn shame.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Bush tried to privatize several things when he first took office. He encountered so much resistance that he gave up on the idea...damn shame.

I am a management analyst in the USAF and we are actively involved in numerous must pay bill initiatives. Commercial Activities (competitive sourcing, privatization, etc...) is still alive and well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't speek for most people, but I am doing allright these days. But I am off work on a permanent disability too.

But historically war has been good for the economy. Many say that WW2 pulled the U.S. out of the great depretion creating jobs and getting money back circulating to the people again.
    I don't think the impact is that strong here today, but it has to be helping some as far as making jobs and such. I guess it just depends on what type of work you do as to how much it helps or hurts.
    I do know that my old line of work (truck driving) is exploding and growing faster than they can get drivers. Many of these jobs are hauling stuff for the government. So if I was still working I would be sitting real pretty.
  • Options
    thebattletechguruthebattletechguru Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to Iraq in 2004 as a contractor. You wouldn't believe the waste of cash going on over there. I saw them burn and throw away $100,000 's of goods. on several occasions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I saw this same thing during the first Gulf War. We can't load it so lets push it off the dock. No room here so lets burn it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by One shot
    I saw this same thing during the first Gulf War. We can't load it so lets push it off the dock. No room here so lets burn it.

I saw the waste durring the first gulf war too. After the cease fire we even went as far as spraying diesel fuel from our fuel tankers onto the dirt roads that we made just to keep the dust down. I couldn't even begin to imagine how many thousands of gallons of fuel we just sprayed on the ground at log base echo.