In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Godson going to Afghanistan any advice?

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Just wanted to see if anyone had some veteran advice for him. Was there anything you wished you'd brought with you? Anything that would help before he goes. Thanks, Steve.

Comments

• Zeus77Zeus77 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve,

I sent you a email with my suggestions. Let me know if you dont get it. Thanks,

Zeus
  • mtlenwaymtlenway Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best recommendation I can give you, as a Gulf War Vets, is enjoy the time you have with him now. Do not tell him how bad things are and let him know that you support him, his fellow soldiers and the cause for which they are fight. Contrary to the medias reporting, most Iraqi citizens are grateful and welcome our presence. Keep in touch with him via email and mail and sent the goodies from home, they are always a popular item. Most importantly, make him fully aware of your support for him, his leaders, fellow soldiers, the cause and faith and trust in his abilities as a soldier.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys. Zeus77 I didnt get an E-mail Thanks Steve G
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a Bible just havig it is a great comfort at the worst times for me[:)]
  • alleycat-6alleycat-6 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Vietnam vet. I think I can advise you. Tell him to make as many good memories as possible. Take plenty of "nice" pictures and take none of bodies, blood or "anything" bad. My daughter is going to Afganistan in January. She flies a medivac helo for the 101st. She figured that if daddy could do it so could she. I am giving her this advise too. Take advantage of all the stuff they offer on base. Take courses. She is working on her masters degree while deployed. They have an education center where you can enroll in any class imaginable with a paid civilian advisor on staff to help you. Those who fritter away their time while deployed regret it forever. My nephew has been to Iraq for 3 tours and has just recently become a licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic. All because he used his military training and took course after course while deployed. His time has been very well spent. These young people have more opportunity than ever before in history to make something of themselves. Their futures are as bright as the sun. I wish him a safe, uneventful and rewarding deployment. Its up to him to have either a wasted deployment or a successful, rewarding one. Tell him to choose wisely.......