In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marine wish list

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
My nephew, recently deployed to Afganistan, asked that I send LSA oil for his machinegun. This request was relayed through his mother, who is not very familiar with firearms so LAS may not be accurate. I am not familiar with LSA oil so I am asking here "What is my nephew asking for?"

Comments

• BIPBIP Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is looking for MILSPEC: MIL-L-46000 (LSA). It is manufactured by a few manufacturers (Royco, Chemsol, Castrol, DuPont), but I don't know that they sell it commercially and it is only available in bulk (ie. 5 gal/55 gal/etc....).
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sarco had it in 1 quart cans. couple months ago, don't know about now.
  • Leatherneck75Leatherneck75 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onejaeger
    My nephew, recently deployed to Afganistan, asked that I send LSA oil for his machinegun. This request was relayed through his mother, who is not very familiar with firearms so LAS may not be accurate. I am not familiar with LSA oil so I am asking here "What is my nephew asking for?"

I am not sure why he would want LSA. CLP has been the military standard for machineguns (except for LSAT in Mk -19 grenade launchers.) Having been around and used both, CLP is superior. Plus, the supply system should be providing this, not you and his mother.

Hope this helped. God bless your Marine and I hope he makes it home safely.

Semper Fi,
    Wayne Dillon
    SgtMajor USMC (Ret.)
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Leatherneck75
    quote:Originally posted by onejaeger

I am not sure why he would want LSA. CLP has been the military standard for machineguns (except for LSAT in Mk -19 grenade launchers.) Having been around and used both, CLP is superior. Plus, the supply system should be providing this, not you and his mother.Yeah, well, in Viet Nam "the supply system" was supposed to furnish jungle boots, battle dress, weapons care equipment, and other consumables that either simply was not supplied or rapidly disintegrated in the bush too.

I say, send your loved one what he requests.