In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Son wants to join the Army

rstbkt69rstbkt69 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
A proud dad wanting to brag on his son and at the same time I'd like a couple of questions answered. My son and his friend decided they want to join the army and then go Airborne. I know how the buddy thing works. If everything falls into place they may go to boot camp and maybe the other schools together. No big deal to me even though it may be for him. But can the recruiter garantee Airborne school this early. Isn't that something that is only avilable to top performers of the infantry school after boot. Secondly the buddy has to get 15 college units to make up for the fact that he is going to an alternative learning center and my son decided that he would go get 15 college units also. Will this 15 hours give my son any advantage over going in without them. Thanks for your help

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Yes...the recruiter can get him an Airborne slot...and if they go in at the same time with the same MOS, it is possible that they will go through basic, AIT, and Jump School together...and then on to permanent party as well. The Airborne slot is what might make it all happen for them.
  • Follow MeFollow Me Member Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2nd that to what ECC said..
  • rstbkt69rstbkt69 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After he has been promised a slot how easy it it to goof up and then have it taken away before he finishes AIT
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rstbkt69
    After he has been promised a slot how easy it it to goof up and then have it taken away before he finishes AIT

It won't be taken from him as long as he completes Basic and AIT. If it's in his contract and he makes it that far, he'll get a shot at jump school.
    edited November -1
    now does this contract come from the recruiter or MEPS
    edited November -1

Everything must be in writing. If it is not he will not get it. Do not take a hand shake and smile. All must be in writing.
    edited November -1
    now does this contract come from the recruiter or MEPS

recruiter Meps just does the physical. At least if I remember right but that was like 13 years ago on my deal.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    My recollection, is that if he can't pass the PT test for Airborne, and if he doesn't make an adequate score after attending PT school, he WILL NOT go to Parachute School.

Period.

Although times have changed, a lot, and I may be incorrect.

I have been told that PT school today is tougher than Parachute School used to be.

Doug

* changed meaning
    edited November -1
    It is a all new school.. Like MMA fighting training.. Awesome stuff
    edited November -1
    Now is this additional to his MOS. or does his MOS have to be a Core to Airborne. Say he wanted to work on Helo's. can he still be airborns after or befor his school for helo maintenance. I'm being general on thes skills on purpose, or does he have to be geared for combat and airborne is additional to his warrior skills
    edited November -1
    Now is this additional to his MOS. or does his MOS have to be a Core to Airborne. Say he wanted to work on Helo's. can he still be airborns after or befor his school for helo maintenance. I'm being general on thes skills on purpose, or does he have to be geared for combat and airborne is additional to his warrior skills

His MOS will need to be something that can be used in conjunction with being Airborne qualified...or he can always put in for Jump School after getting to permanent party...but that's a gamble.
  • jasonc14jasonc14 Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    before settling on the army, talk to a few other recruiters.

if he wants to relax in comfort, join the airforce

if he wants to be in the deepest doo doo, join the Marine Corps

if he wants a middle ground then the army is prob the way to go.

what turned me off from joining the army is their 12 month and up deployments. the Marine Corps only does 7 months deployments.

yes it is possible to deploy longer depending on your unit but overall you shouldnt expect to be deployed as long as the army.

12 month deployments are excellent destroyers of marriages.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jasonc14
    before settling on the army, talk to a few other recruiters.

if he wants to relax in comfort, join the airforce

what turned me off from joining the army is their 12 month and up deployments. the Marine Corps only does 7 months deployments.

yes it is possible to deploy longer depending on your unit but overall you shouldnt expect to be deployed as long as the army.

12 month deployments are excellent destroyers of marriages.
    So are 7 month deployments when you add in 6 months on float, lots of field time, then PCSing and deploying all over again.
  • 82nd airborne infantry82nd airborne infantry Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will PROBABLY stay together through Basic, AIT and Jump school. Unit needs once they get to their final duty station. Best advice..... make sure he can run AT LEAST 3 miles at a 7 min mile or better pace BEFORE he gets there and can knock out 70+ pushups at a clip. Things will go alot easier on him if he is in TOP shape at basic. I used to do sets of 30 pushups throughout the day for a daily total of 500 a day. Tell him good luck and stay safe!

.......As to JASONC14's post the ARMY is hardly the middle of the road.... Basic was 8 weeks,,, AIT( advanced Infantry for me) another 6 weeks...Airborne school 3 weeks Just as much IF NOT MORE than your training.....you get my point..... didn't see any Marines jumping with me into Pananma in 1989....they called the ARMY 82nd Airborne and Rangers...... as well as Desert Storm....82nd had the first boots on the ground. wheels up in 18 hours or less. We are all a family of soldiers so keep your " jarheads rule" poop to yourself.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Follow Me
    2nd that to what ECC said..

True but..just be sure to get everything in writing signed by an officer.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well obviously the PFC must know what he's talking about[xx(]
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Yes...the recruiter can get him an Airborne slot...and if they go in at the same time with the same MOS, it is possible that they will go through basic, AIT, and Jump School together...and then on to permanent party as well. The Airborne slot is what might make it all happen for them.

When I was a recruiter, I was able to get some recruits w/ high ASVAB scores and Hight GT scores an E-2 position BEFORE basic. Also, at that time, if a new recruit was able to get a buddy to sign up he also got an E-2 promotion.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello cccooper,

In the preceeding note you had mentioned bringing recruits in as E-2 at times.

What other times or situations might someone start with an enhanced rank, other than like with folks that have completed ROTC?

What rank might they come in as?
    edited November -1
    Hello jasonc14,

("Not knocking anyone, or service branch, or training or MOSs.)

I'm sure that you're aware of the fact that within the Army there is quite a range of "opportunities" to be with the fast and furious ... to be mighty deep in the doo doo as well, right?

It would seem that there is a lot to be said for any and all of the Special Operations groups, their: training, education, duties, assignments and functions. Force Recon, Ranger, SEALS, Delta, SF, etc. I'm aware that there no doubt much more happening than what I am aware ... but seems that each offers more than the norm.

As a generalization, sevice to service, from what I have seen and heard ... I'd not disagree with your comments though. (MHO)
    edited November -1
    Hello rstbkt69,

With just my dumb luck ... not with the buddy-up arrangement or anything, I was in training and schools for a year or more with several guys.

Just a matter of the fact that we were similar enough the we qualified for, and signed up for similar paths. The rest was a matter of the luck of the draw.

I knew of some that signed-up as buddies and went all through everything together and eventual assignment as well. Others signed up together and unforeseen events seperated them: injuries, washing out of training or schools and such.

Knew personally of two guys that went all the way through to include assignments thru VN and reassignment afterwards back Stateside.
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. The guy he wants to enlist with has to complete 15 hrs of school before they will take him. He graduated from an alternative learning center and didn't meet up with specs of some sort.
    I'm trying to convince him that if this is what he wants to go now.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. The guy he wants to enlist with has to complete 15 hrs of school before they will take him. He graduated from an alternative learning center and didn't meet up with specs of some sort.
    I'm trying to convince him that if this is what he wants to go now.

Civy chimming in, LOL [:D]
    I don't want to put anybody down or anything, but what do you mean by "alternative learning center." Are you sure that this kid can keep up with your son anyway?
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

Hello cccooper,

In the preceeding note you had mentioned bringing recruits in as E-2 at times.

What other times or situations might someone start with an enhanced rank, other than like with folks that have completed ROTC?

What rank might they come in as?

If you had 60 hrs of college courses you would go in as an E-2. 90 hrs or more was E-3. College Grad would get a shot at OCS AFTER completing basic and AIT IF ASVAB scores were high enough.
  • hooligan1sevenhooligan1seven Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just finished my time as a Drill Sergeant (in the Army) and might be able to help you out a little. First, if your son does decide to join the Army, if it is not written in his contract he will not recieve it i.e. Airborne School, Bonus, Rank, etc. Second if he does decide to join the Army he needs to decide what he wants. I see it in two categories: 1) Either do cool stuff in the Army, blow stuff up and kill people or 2) Get a nerd job in the Army be respected by no one in the Army but set yourself up for a good job in the real world. The "Hooaah" jobs in the Army are typically easier to get promoted in (more positions available) but the life style typically sucks more. If he is going to be a Paratrooper he needs to realize as well that there's a 90% chance his first duty station will be Ft. Bragg,NC; Ft. Richardson, AK; or Italy. Most likely Bragg. Unless he joins to go straight for SF or Ranger. If he signs up for a SF or Ranger contract he still goes to Infantry basic and AIT. If he fails either SF or Ranger selection then he goes to being a regular Infantryman. Either way he'll still be a Paratrooper. Airborne school is a prerequisite for both of those. Only the chosen few are selected by God to be United States Army Paratroopers! Best of luck to him. Lemme know if you need anything.
    edited November -1
    Thanks hooligan1seven. Playing football and being a defensive guard since he was seven has put him in a position where he doesn't meet the physical standards for the Army. Hes a big kid.235 and 5'10' Not huge but bigger than most kids out of highschool. Even though he has had PT almost every day of his life since seven, he needed to lose 35 pounds to be considered. We hunt in the mountains of Southern California and he humps most of our gear all over the mountains without breaking a sweat and tells me he will leave my stuff up on the top of a ridge and he will meet me later on his way down. He was always told he needed to bulk up to keep a starting position so he did what the coaches said and not what his father advised him to do, which was eat healthy and not worry what the coaches told him and football isn't everything. So right now he's taking a few college classes and wishing he could lose the weight. I passed the info on to him and he asked me to thank you for the honest things you wrote.
  • hooligan1sevenhooligan1seven Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a problem. Check it out, to get into the Army nearly everything is waiverable, to include weight. If you want to know about height and weight standards google AR 600-9 (the army over weight program). I'm assuming he is a 17-21 year old male. That means he can have 20% body fat, if he fails to meet the standard height/weight requirements. If you go to 550cord.com I'm pretty sure that they have a calculator on that to figure out his body fat. If he plans on joining the Army he's gotta be able to run not matter what. Especially if he goes combat arms. Two miles might be what the PT test is, but in the real Army a 4 mile run at an 8 minute mile pace is the XVIII Airborne Corps standard. If he really wants to do the Army thing he's gotta be able to run well, especially in the Airborne. I gotta get back to my Soldiers. Sorry lemme know if you need more advice. Best of luck

Thanks hooligan1seven. Playing football and being a defensive guard since he was seven has put him in a position where he doesn't meet the physical standards for the Army. Hes a big kid.235 and 5'10' Not huge but bigger than most kids out of highschool. Even though he has had PT almost every day of his life since seven, he needed to lose 35 pounds to be considered. We hunt in the mountains of Southern California and he humps most of our gear all over the mountains without breaking a sweat and tells me he will leave my stuff up on the top of a ridge and he will meet me later on his way down. He was always told he needed to bulk up to keep a starting position so he did what the coaches said and not what his father advised him to do, which was eat healthy and not worry what the coaches told him and football isn't everything. So right now he's taking a few college classes and wishing he could lose the weight. I passed the info on to him and he asked me to thank you for the honest things you wrote.
  • 11B2P11B2P Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Are you freakin kidding me?!? You ever hear of the korangal valley or the arghandab...
    If that man's son wants to be a Paratrooper, he will go to some no s**t hostile places.

The 82nd Airborne...is middle of the road?....hmmm yeah ok.. come to any Parachute Infantry Regiment here at bragg and tell us that.

Oh fyi ive had the pleasure of working with some Airforce JTACS, some of thee most hardest working group of guys i ever met.

My money says you are a new boot cherry... and if you keep talking, might find yourself in some "deep doo doo".

Stay in your lane cherry
  • 11B2P11B2P Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Are you freakin kidding me?!? You ever hear of the korangal valley or the arghandab...
    If that man's son wants to be a Paratrooper, he will go to some no s**t hostile places.

The 82nd Airborne...is middle of the road?....hmmm yeah ok.. come to any Parachute Infantry Regiment here at bragg and tell us that.

Oh fyi ive had the pleasure of working with some Airforce JTACS, some of thee most hardest working group of guys i ever met.

My money says you are a new boot cherry... and if you keep talking, might find yourself in some "deep doo doo".

Stay in your lane cherry
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11B2P

Stay in your lane cherry

+1 [:D]
  • Leatherneck75Leatherneck75 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Stay in your lane cherry

Sir,

I hope your son has fulfilled his ambition of serving his country.

Now to get on the "Old Guy Soapbox:"

You two tossing back and forth the Marine/Paratrooper stuff sound like two drunk PFCs; obviously, at least one of you, by referencing the Panama campaign, is a bit older. You should both know better.

Each service has a unique mission. While you are justified in being proud of your own service, I hope you both get to a point in your life when you meet another veteran and say, "Thank you for your service." I am 53 years old, a retired Marine, and I always try to say that to others. When I hear others make negative comments about mine or someone else's service, I just shake my head and walk away, because I am dealing with an immature person with whom there is no value to arguing with. And, by the way, I graduated from Army Airborne School, Navy dive school and a few others. I qoute from the Marine NCO Handbook, "The tough don't have to brag about it."

PS: Everybody is a bad dude on the internet...

Semper Fi,
    Wayne Dillon
    SgtMajor USMC (Ret)
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding whether the recruiter or MEPS provides the contract......

I left recruiting in 2005. After three years followed by a year of involuntary extension, I had enough. It was the hours, not the folks. Okay, I lied.

Anyways. MEPS used to provide the contract. Things were changing as I was leaving though. They were shifting to a point-of-sale type of system where the recruiter could guarantee the contract in writing right there in the office. I don't know if it made it through the pilot program or if it reverted back to the old system. That's why I NEVER promised anything in the recruiting office. I never tried to convince someone they wanted one MOS or another.

I used to take the line scores generated by the ASVAB (assuming their physical went well)and run them through a computer program that another recruiter developed. That spit out all the MOS's they were qualified for simply based on their test scores. Assuming they didn't have any law violations in their background and they had normal color vision and all the rest, I told them to pick 3 MOS's and I would do all the work of getting them to MEPS and through the enlistment process. If none of those 3 MOS's showed up on the system, I wouldn't have any hard feelings if they decided not to enlist. On the other hand, they gave me their word they would enlist if one of those three showed up on the system as having available training slots. It was a test of their commitment so nobody would be wasting anybody's time. As they said in Glengarry Glenn Ross (SP?), some people just like to talk to salesmen. I was looking for people who weren't in it just to shop around and waste taxpayer money.
  • Bongiovanni275Bongiovanni275 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Stay in your lane cherry

Korangal Valley huh? Funny, I don't remember seeing any 82nd guys up there. [V]
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After just getting out of the army after four years and being a CPT I will give you my thoughts. One nice thing about the Army is they can guarentee you your job or MOS. They also can do airborne school. But I would say thats not as much as guarentee as it is a promise. A lot of schools like airborne have been getting yanked lately, to be frank it cost money and time and they need soldiers on the frontline not in schools. Alot of it might depend on where he goes theres only a couple airborne units 82nd and 173rd out of vicenza italy probably a few more but nothing big. So if they give him a slot they will more and likely send him to an airborne unit. But one thing the army doesnt guarentee is unit or post. So lets say he gets assinged Fort Drum(where i came from) which is 10th MTN light infantry. Well we werent airborne so if by chance he gets assinged that and he has airborne orders chances are they might get cut. I didnt see a whole lot of new PVT's showing up with jump wings. Now as far as buddies go they can guarentee them same basic training etc. But I would think same unit would really be stretch dont matter what they tell you. I also went to basic and they had that buddy program, well when you get basic you go to inprocessing than to basic once you to basic you will all get put into a BN which could be 400-800 soldiers, each BN has 4-5 companies each company has 3-5 platoons. I saw plenty guys get to basic together but once you get to actual basic you could be in the same BN but not same company or same company but not same platoon. So the actual chance of going to basic getting the same bunk etc is a FAR STRETCH, trust me. I would tell your son if hes joing the Army which is a good choice specially these days and if you dont plan on doing college. But do it because he wants to not because he wants to go on a camp out with a buddy.

Also tell him to think about what he wants. If he wants hardcore USMC all the way although there is some hardcore in the army just not as much. If he wants a good technical job Air Force or Navy. personally if I had to do it again I would have done AF. Also tell him to think about his job that he wants, if the army might not be something that he wants to do forever he might want to do something like Supply,communication etc. To be frank I saw a lot of guys get out that were Infantry after four years and they really dont have a transferable job skill. You still get GI bill and stuff and some go to college. 15 college credits wont do anything. He can probably pull off E-2 by talking to recruiter. You need a degree to go in as a SPC or E-4 and I think E-3 you need like 50-60 credits. So dont do it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bongiovanni275

Stay in your lane cherry

Korangal Valley huh? Funny, I don't remember seeing any 82nd guys up there. [V]

Your all weak 10th MTN light Infantry baby. No j/k 82nd deploys a ton not as much as 1BCT 10th MTN which is the most deployed BDE in the Army. I think the BDE has 5 deployments since 01. Anyways whatever you were it sucked over there in whatever job you did some worse than others. Wat people dont think is somebody like a cook who doesnt have a hardcore job probably has one of the worst jobs in the army or a mechanic who has to sit outside and fix trucks 12hrs a day
    edited November -1
    Yeah?

What years were you with "10th MTN?" Got a few friends over there.

Oh, and you "think?" [V]
    edited November -1
    07-till now. Yeah I think. One the IN BN was the first regular unit into afghanista. There been three tours to afghanistan and 2 to iraq since to its basically every other year for the last ten years not to many others that can say that. Also if you go back 1BCT was in Somalia, Destert storm, Bosnia, hurricane andrew
    edited November -1
    Haha. [:D]

Yeah, 10th MTN did have some good tours. Just can't see the 10th calling any other unit weak.... All I hear from people I knew that went there after their tour in Italy/Germany said it's ridiculous.

Plus, we ripped you out. You ripped us out.

An unimpressive bunch, to say the least.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bongiovanni275
    Haha. [:D]

Yeah, 10th MTN did have some good tours. Just can't see the 10th calling any other unit weak.... All I hear from people I knew that went there after their tour in Italy/Germany said it's ridiculous.

Plus, we ripped you out. You ripped us out.

An unimpressive bunch, to say the least.

yeah who knows i mean to be honest I thought 25ID sucked and thought 101 sucked and 82nd were a bunch of tards. I think its a unit pride thing. To be honest with you if I had my choice though I would probably stick with 18th airborne guys, 82nd,101, 10th. We were around some armor guys and nasty guard and not my choice of battles.
    edited November -1
    Where were in Afghanistan?
    edited November -1
    north mazer sharif