In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Older jarhead wants to know:

pauly walnutspauly walnuts Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hey Marines, soldiers & sailors. I just purchased an Eotech for my AR, its the 557 with a 3x magnifier. First, I can't stop closing my left eye, WTH? LOL! How did you guys that played in the big sand box like the Eotech?

PS, thanks for what you are doing for us.

Comments

• wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    EOtechs give me a headache, I used an aimpoint M2. When I first started using it I had to close the cap over the end and look with both eyes after a while I got used to it. Once you get used to it it makes for faster and easier to get on target. Makes it so much easier to shoot on the run. Even though its not made for long ranges I have had pretty good luck out to 500 yards, even hit one raghead at 800 yards running between buildings.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I think the EOTech and the Aimpoint M2 both suck. the ACOG is so much better, in my opinion.
    wittynbear, I went through SDM training(with my ACOG) and I shot the Aimpoint M2 at 800+ yards, hitting a point target at 800 yards with an Aimpoint is really something...
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't personally like the large aperture of the Aimpoint's or the ACOG's. It can and does cover your target at anything but close quarter targets. EOTech has the smallest aperture on the market, but is still very usable due to the circle and cross hairs around the outside of it. IMO, EOTech is the way to go.
  • 82nd airborne infantry82nd airborne infantry Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    whittybear--- you made an 800 meter shot with an M4 w/ aimpoint on a running target???? you and " get -r- done" must just have a ball exchanging STORIES! Unlike many I have made up to and beyond 800 meter shots and know what it takes to make them. and not with an M4/w/aimpoint..lol.....

to answer the post, a little practice and you will adjust to the eotech. I used and now own a 552 and they are great for cqb to medium range. Beyond 2-300 they cover the entire target. If your looking for a good compromise try a Leupold mark AR varable power with a burris fast fire on top. Best of both worlds. fast fire out to 75-100 meters and the leupold for beyond 100 meters. It has turret set up to 500 meters in 100 meter incriments to match 55 grn good luck.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 82nd airborne infantry
    whittybear--- you made an 800 meter shot with an M4 w/ aimpoint on a running target???? you and " get -r- done" must just have a ball exchanging STORIES! Unlike many I have made up to and beyond 800 meter shots and know what it takes to make them. and not with an M4/w/aimpoint..lol.....

to answer the post, a little practice and you will adjust to the eotech. I used and now own a 552 and they are great for cqb to medium range. Beyond 2-300 they cover the entire target. If your looking for a good compromise try a Leupold mark AR varable power with a burris fast fire on top. Best of both worlds. fast fire out to 75-100 meters and the leupold for beyond 100 meters. It has turret set up to 500 meters in 100 meter incriments to match 55 grn good luck.

The EOTech's center aperature is only 1 MOA...that's only a 3" dot at 300 yards, which is plenty small for human sized targets. The ACOG's have a 14 MOA aperature at 100 yards...HUGE difference.
  • 82nd airborne infantry82nd airborne infantry Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

The EOTech's center aperature is only 1 MOA...that's only a 3" dot at 300 yards, which is plenty small for human sized targets. The ACOG's have a 14 MOA aperature at 100 yards...HUGE difference.

that's why I said the eotech is good to 2-300 meters, but it is also surrounded by a 65 moa donut and hard to engage past that. there are many different ACOG's, not all have the 14 moa chevron. the TAO1 is a very nice scope but 2 times the money of eotech....but a M2 aimpoint has a 4 MOA dot that would cover 32 moa at 800 meters and would cover the target 2 times over. Add in a running target and the bullcrap really gets high.All these sites have their place and purpose, good luck and have fun with your eotech you will get used to it
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

that's why I said the eotech is good to 2-300 meters, but it is also surrounded by a 65 moa donut and hard to engage past that. there are many different ACOG's, not all have the 14 moa chevron. the TAO1 is a very nice scope but 2 times the money of eotech....but a M2 aimpoint has a 4 MOA dot that would cover 32 moa at 800 meters and would cover the target 2 times over. Add in a running target and the bullcrap really gets high.All these sites have their place and purpose, good luck and have fun with your eotech you will get used to it

I love the EOTechs...personally, I think they are on of the best holographic sights available.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1

To be honest I attribute the 800 yard shot I made to luck more than the aimpoint, the aimpoint got me in the ballpark, luck made the shot. But I can't leave that out when trying to get someone to try an aimpoint.

The aimpoint has a 4MOA dot, does tend to cover targets at longer ranges. Even at 500 yards it covers your target, I have had pretty good luck at hitting most shots out that far, but most engagements were within 200 yards and it worked perfectly for that. I have heard they make a 2MOA aimpoint but I have never seen or tried it.

But the aimpoint does have 1 thing the others don't have, I can run an aimpoint 24/7 for 6 months on 1 battery. To my knowledge no one else can touch that.

We all have our own opinions on sights, some people like iron sights, some like scopes others red dot sights, and many variations in each catagory. But the bottom line is like anything else you have to find what works best for you.
  • BIPBIP Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran a U.S. Optics SN-4 w/illum on my M4...a little bulkier than an ACOG, but I could spin it down to 1X and it worked like a red dot sight in close quarters...best of both worlds