In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Airborne school

romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
don't know requirement for airborne training today, but when I entered service in 1947 (age 17), I volunteered for airborne training. When I completed jump school at Ft. Benning, GA I was still 17. Guess I would not make it in today's Army, age wise.

Comments

• rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can still enlist at age 17 with a parent's consent. We had a 17yo graduate jump school with us back in 1988 I think.

As long as the 17yo has graduated high school, there's no problem. (if that is one of the enlistment requirements at the time)
  • fumbazfumbaz Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by romer
    don't know requirement for airborne training today, but when I entered service in 1947 (age 17), I volunteered for airborne training. When I completed jump school at Ft. Benning, GA I was still 17. Guess I would not make it in today's Army, age wise.

the reqs are on the website. you wouldn't make it, agewise. neither would i, as much as i volunteed. voila. as a matter of fact, thanks to our current "president", 3 years ago i could, and now i can't, since he (yes, he), lowered the age from 40 to 30.
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can still go to jump school at 17. I know that you can not be in a combat arms unit untill you are 18. That is the US following the no child solder request from UN and NATO.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsuggs
    I think you can still go to jump school at 17. I know that you can not be in a combat arms unit untill you are 18. That is the US following the no child solder request from UN and NATO.

I believe it's 18.5 years to be assigned to a combat zone. That was in effect during Vietnam and had nothing to do with the UN or NATO.

Yes. I know there were personnel in Vietnam that were younger, but they usually lied about their age.
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EOD Guy
    quote:Originally posted by jsuggs

I believe it's 18.5 years to be assigned to a combat zone. That was in effect during Vietnam and had nothing to do with the UN or NATO.

Yes. I know there were personnel in Vietnam that were younger, but they usually lied about their age.

Nope 18 and you can get deployed. I had a soldier that was 18 and know a kid that was 18, once your 18 your deployable. You can enlist at 17 with consent, and go to basic training, if you have not graduated HS you will do a split opt option which you do your training, then go back to school and finish your HS. once graduated you finish your job training and off to your unit.

As for Airborne school you past a physical fitness test,4 mile run and I believe its either 3 or 5 jumps. Not to down play anybody but it's more of a cool badge to have as its really not that hard of a course anymore. Its more boring for two weeks then a week of jumping then thats it. You have females doing, Cadets etc.
  • Engineer88Engineer88 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enlisted in 2006 when I was 17. I didn't go through airborne training until I was 20, but I know some 17 year olds that did.