In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

best "in country" knife?

rummyrummy Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
For real question. Whats the best personal big knife to carry for Afgan field deployment?

Comments

• wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Strider Model SA, its a good fighting knife, and good for the million and 1 other uses for a knife in the field. It keeps a good edge doesn't rust and doesn't break.
  • 11B2P11B2P Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big knives = weight, wasted space and a 200 dollar MRE opener.

Buy a well made multi tool.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good multi-tool is a must. However, I found a pocket-clip CRKT (M16 model I believe) to be indispensable. I didn't have to fool with getting the knife out. I just pulled it out of my pocket and flipped it open with my thumb. It opened a lot of MRE's and cut many many things while deployed and I never sharpened it.

If I had to go again, I'd buy the same knife or something similar by Kershaw. However, I'd never go without a good multi-tool.
  • uh60uh60 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a WW2 6 inch blade Cattaraugus on my flight vest and a self opening half serrated blade BenchMade on a lanyard. Plus a Leatherman, kept all of them razor sharp in case I was shot down I didn't want my throat cut with a dull knife!!
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a good multi tool like Idsman said.

I carried a benchmade auto on my body armor while deployed but another good choice would be the kabar Mule.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    My son recently graduated from Infantry School at Ft. Benning. We went to Ranger Joes after his graduation and bought one of the Gerber survival knives and a SOG tactical folder. I had already bought him a SOG SEAL PUP and Leatherman multi tool for xmas. Now he's stationed at Ft. Stewart and they told him no knives with blades over 3" so I guess I'll be testing them out next deer season. As for the three knives, they are all well made. The Gerber is heavily made and could be used as a pry bar or hammer, comes with a strap cutter and has a carbide sharper built into the sheath. The two SOGS would make better fighting knives in my opinion due to their light weight.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    standard KaBar and a gerber. those CRKT's are nice too, they can take a beating.
  • SGMBalzSGMBalz Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One that is sharp and that will keep and edge. Seriously if you are thinking about using it as a weapon on the enemy, you are too damn close to the enemy. I must have several high speed knives, gerber and buck make good blades. Do not get carried away you will probably only need them to cut string, tape, and open packages from home.[:D][:D]
    a9569a127575747.jpg
  • SGMBalzSGMBalz Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4GodandCountry
    My son recently graduated from Infantry School at Ft. Benning. We went to Ranger Joes after his graduation and bought one of the Gerber survival knives and a SOG tactical folder. I had already bought him a SOG SEAL PUP and Leatherman multi tool for xmas. Now he's stationed at Ft. Stewart and they told him no knives with blades over 3" so I guess I'll be testing them out next deer season. As for the three knives, they are all well made. The Gerber is heavily made and could be used as a pry bar or hammer, comes with a strap cutter and has a carbide sharper built into the sheath. The two SOGS would make better fighting knives in my opinion due to their light weight.

What a crock of do do, what about all those fully automatic weapons in the arms room. This is what Political Correctness is doing to our Military. I am sooo....... glad that I am retired now!!!!!
    [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]a9569a127575747.jpg
  • wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new USMC bayonet opens MREs easily. Even slices and dices fingers right through the thumbnail!
  • braonanbraonan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you are comfortable with, is sharp, durable and easily produced when you need it. I'm just a lowly grunt and never got into spending a lot of money buying all those expensive "tactical" blades, axes, machetes and semi-swords you see in US CAV, Ranger Joes and similar places. I carried two knives, not counting a multi-tool and strap cutter. Neither was a sexy movie knife. The largest was a Buck hunting knife with a gut hook, I had used it hunting for years and I was as intimate with it as a grunt can be with a blade, it was attached to my chest rig. The second was a 4 inch gerber serrated folder, in my pocket. I personally feel that if you are comfortable with it, it's sharp, durable and easily produced you can't go wrong.