In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Even the Libs Turn on Obama

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Politics
Op Ed in the NY Times by Alex Berenson:

Following a long firefight that May, Sergeant Bergdahl's anger worsened. On June 27, he wrote a final email to his family, according to Mr. Hastings. It included these words: "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting." Three days later, he left his rifle and night-vision goggles and walked off his base. The decision was so reckless as to verge on suicidal. Not surprisingly, the Taliban captured him in less than two days.

Sergeant Bergdahl may have broken any number of military laws. Under Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, a soldier commits desertion if he "quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or shirk important service." Desertion during wartime is punishable "by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct."

Of course, no military court has found him guilty of any crime. But there's no doubt that Sergeant Bergdahl's disappearance caused terrible trouble. American forces across eastern Afghanistan suspended other operations and spent weeks searching for him.

Meanwhile, he had the opportunity to repent his decision to leave the base. He spent almost five years in the less than welcoming hands of the Taliban, who made propaganda videos with him as an unwilling star.

As a reporter, I embedded for modest stints with American soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. When I'm asked about those experiences, I always say - and mean - that we civilians don't deserve the soldiers we have. In this case, perhaps, the reverse was true. The White House worked tirelessly to free Sergeant Bergdahl, and did not let the murk around his disappearance stop its decision to trade Taliban detainees for him. I'm no soldier, but that decision seems right to me. No man, or woman, left behind.

But now that this man is on his way home, what to do with him? The White House clearly erred by pretending that Sergeant Bergdahl was an ordinary prisoner of war and that his return would be cause for unalloyed celebration. It should have brought him home as quietly as possible, with no fanfare. Now I don't see how the Pentagon can avoid re-examining what happened on June 30, 2009.

If Sergeant Bergdahl is proved mentally competent to stand trial, maybe he deserves a few years in Leavenworth to reflect on his dereliction of duty. Ultimately, his peers in a military court must answer that question.

But the anger and confusion that his release has generated seems somehow fitting, a messy and inconclusive end to a war that went on far too long without a clear purpose after the rout of Al Qaeda. Bowe Bergdahl is going home. So are the Taliban.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Yep. Even saw the stooge Matt Louder ripping into Jay carney. Apparently they all forgot that they wanted * MO closed and all the prisoners there released. Wonder why they changed their tune?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Yep. Even saw the stooge Matt Louder ripping into Jay carney. Apparently they all forgot that they wanted * MO closed and all the prisoners there released. Wonder why they changed their tune?

Because the one thing these self-important media bastages cannot stand is for someone to embarrass them. The current occupant of the WH is nothing if not a walking, talking 24 hour a day twit. And now his latest F'up leaves them with dribble on their lip.

His lazy approach to his job leaves him unwilling to consider how all this might look, and his arrogance lets him think he can do a 'cool dude' press conference or speech and fast talk his way past any screw-up. The schtick is wearing thin, even with the toadies in the press.
    edited November -1
    Makes no sense to me. What is ol thrill up his 3rd leg saying?
    Seriously isn't this the lefts wet dream? Prisoners released. A Taliban sympathizer back home where he can be a good subversive.. what's a lib to not like here?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seriously isn't this the lefts wet dream? Prisoners released. A Taliban sympathizer back home where he can be a good subversive.. what's a lib to not like here?

He'll be a Democrat congressman someday soon. [;)]
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Op Ed in the NY Times by Alex Berenson:

Following a long firefight that May, Sergeant Bergdahl's anger worsened. On June 27, he wrote a final email to his family, according to Mr. Hastings. It included these words: "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting." Three days later, he left his rifle and night-vision goggles and walked off his base. The decision was so reckless as to verge on suicidal. Not surprisingly, the Taliban captured him in less than two days.

Sergeant Bergdahl may have broken any number of military laws. Under Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, a soldier commits desertion if he "quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or shirk important service." Desertion during wartime is punishable "by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct."

Of course, no military court has found him guilty of any crime. But there's no doubt that Sergeant Bergdahl's disappearance caused terrible trouble. American forces across eastern Afghanistan suspended other operations and spent weeks searching for him.

Meanwhile, he had the opportunity to repent his decision to leave the base. He spent almost five years in the less than welcoming hands of the Taliban, who made propaganda videos with him as an unwilling star.

As a reporter, I embedded for modest stints with American soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. When I'm asked about those experiences, I always say - and mean - that we civilians don't deserve the soldiers we have. In this case, perhaps, the reverse was true. The White House worked tirelessly to free Sergeant Bergdahl, and did not let the murk around his disappearance stop its decision to trade Taliban detainees for him. I'm no soldier, but that decision seems right to me. No man, or woman, left behind.

But now that this man is on his way home, what to do with him? The White House clearly erred by pretending that Sergeant Bergdahl was an ordinary prisoner of war and that his return would be cause for unalloyed celebration. It should have brought him home as quietly as possible, with no fanfare. Now I don't see how the Pentagon can avoid re-examining what happened on June 30, 2009.

If Sergeant Bergdahl is proved mentally competent to stand trial, maybe he deserves a few years in Leavenworth to reflect on his dereliction of duty. Ultimately, his peers in a military court must answer that question.

But the anger and confusion that his release has generated seems somehow fitting, a messy and inconclusive end to a war that went on far too long without a clear purpose after the rout of Al Qaeda. Bowe Bergdahl is going home. So are the Taliban.

Sounds like something the POTUS would say.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

He'll be a Democrat congressman someday soon. [;)]
    Most likely.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    He is looking worse and worse. That his hometown cancelled his "welcome home" party ought to send his Mom and Dad a strong message....there are some questions about your son and his real feelings. That our POTUS had a RoseGarden lovein with Mom and Dad, well, says a lot about BO and what he knew....which evidently was not much. And that he sent out that lapdog Susan Rice to to talk about the Sgt. "honor" is laughable. Like her. Againm this POTUS makes all of his supporters look real bad...my conscience is clear however!