In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

World War III

rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Politics
It's coming and one has to wonder if it would have ever come to this if we had a real President, like Reagan, instead of a character no one respects like the guy in the White House right now.

http://www.news.com.au/world/the-war-word-is-being-increasingly-heard-as-europe-russia-china-and-the-united-states-adopt-provocative-postures/story-fndir2ev-1227371823129

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the Reagan that liked gun control??

[In a 1991 speech, Reagan said]: "I'm a member of the NRA. And my position on the right to bear arms is well known. But I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay. It's just plain common sense that there be a waiting period [7 days] to allow local law enforcement officials to conduct background checks on those who wish to buy a handgun."
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    Twitter prognostications are gold baby.... gold!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

[In a 1991 speech, Reagan said]: "I'm a member of the NRA. And my position on the right to bear arms is well known. But I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay. It's just plain common sense that there be a waiting period [7 days] to allow local law enforcement officials to conduct background checks on those who wish to buy a handgun."

Today after learning what he's really facing Reagan would not be for that law.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Today after learning what he's really facing Reagan would not be for that law.

Where do you get this?

Reagan started the modern gun control problem as Governor of California when he didn't like to see the Black Panthers walking around with rifles and shotguns. There is .. 'no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.' He then signed the Mulford act to make this less likely.

Or perhaps this:

"Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited."

--Ronald Reagan, in an August 28, 1986 signing statement on a bill that banned the production and importation of armor-piercing bullets.

We also have:

"I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home."

--Ronald Reagan, in a speech at his 78th birthday celebration in Los Angeles on February 6, 1989.

And how can we forget his seminal achievement; the banning of new production select fire and full auto weapons destined for the proletariat, the cynically titled Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986?

Reagan, despite his folksy aw-shuckisms about big government was 100% on board with State and Federal control of you and me in ways that had not been done prior to him enacting such control.

He also taught the Muslims that the U.S., if kicked hard enough and/or long enough, would cut and run.

A real President when dealing with the Evil Empire, to be sure.

An expander of Federal Control over the U.S. Citizen, and a disaster in the Middle East.

IMO, of course.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The point of my post was, with the potential for war with China, Russia, Iran and boots-on-the-ground combat with radical Islam looming on the horizon, and Congress doing massive defense cuts, it would be nice to have a President who was at least on our side. China will likely shoot down one of our aircraft within the next couple weeks and we have a President who thinks global warming is the cause of world conflict.