In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Former Speaker Hasterr

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Politics
Hastert was charged with structuring the withdrawal of $952,000 in cash in order to evade the requirement that banks report cash transactions over $10,000, and lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his withdrawalsFormer House Speaker Dennis Hastert Faces Federal Charges.

Am I missing something here? Paying blackmail illegal?

Hillary?
Bill?
Eric Holder?
Lots Lerner?

But the DOJ chooses to indict Dennis Hastert.

I'm sure there is a deep & dark secret. Immoral probably. Doesn't matter. Liberals just want a pound of flesh. Seems like a message is being sent to somebody.

Makes me wonder what the Administration has on John Roberts for declaring universal health care legal.

Yes, I'm sure whatever Hastert did was terrible but lying to the FBI?

Comments

• discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he is a typical Illinois politician, a crook. with the Patriot act, and a host of banking laws,passed with the same mindset. Haskert knowingly was trying to circumvent the laws and guidelines of money transfers. here is a case of politicians having to operate under the same laws common citizens have to endure. you won't find sympathy here with me, except maybe in my Funk and Wagnall's dictionary between babooey and syphilis
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    News is claiming it was part of a $3,500,000 hush money deal to keep somebody quiet.

Hastert was the Speaker of the House who got the Patriot Act passed. It is the Banking reporting parts of that very law that he was trying to evade.

As irony goes, not so bad.

Politicians are by nature low creatures. Full of guile and mischief and schemes. Whatever the blackmailer had on him, it had to be good and it has to be typical of the breed.

Hastert cashed in upon retirement from Congress by going the Lobbyist route. Putting his inside knowledge and all his personal contacts on the bidding block. Selling the Law Making of this country to whoever pays him best.

"Legally" of course, like so many of his foul kind.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lying to the FBI shouldn't be a crime.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thou shall not lie to anyone
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say sex was involved. Probably with a minor since he was a teacher.
    edited November -1
    UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
    NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS
    EASTERN DIVISION
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA )

v.

JOHN DENNIS HASTERT

) Violations: Title 18, United States
    ) Code, Section 1001(a)(2); Title 31,
    ) United States Code,
    ) Section 5324(a)(3)

COUNT ONE
    The SPECIAL FEBRUARY 2014 GRAND JURY charges:
    1. At times material to this indictment:

a. From approximately 1965 to 1981, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was a high school teacher and coach in Yorkville, Illinois. From approximately 1981 to 2007, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was an elected public official, including eight years as Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. From approximately 2008 to the present, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT has worked as a lobbyist in Washington, D.C.

b. Individual A has been a resident of Yorkville, Illinois and has known defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT most of Individual A's life.

c. In or about 2010, Individual A met with defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT multiple times. During at least one of the meetings,

Individual A and defendant discussed past misconduct by defendant against Individual A that had occurred years earlier.

d. During the 2010 meetings and subsequent discussions, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT agreed to provide Individual A $3.5 million in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct against Individual A.

e. Shortly thereafter, defendant began providing Individual A cash payments.

f. From approximately 2010 to 2014, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT withdrew a total of approximately $1.7 million in cash from various bank accounts he controlled and provided it to Individual A.

g. From approximately June 2010 through April 2012, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT made fifteen $50,000 withdrawals of cash from bank accounts he controlled at Old Second Bank, People's State Bank and Castle Bank and provided that cash to Individual A approximately every six weeks.

h. Title 31, United States Code, Section 5313(a) and Title 31, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1010.310-313 required domestic financial institutions to prepare and file with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network a Currency Transaction Report (Form 104) for any transaction or series of transactions involving currency of more than $10,000.

i. Old Second Bank, People's State Bank, Castle Bank and Chase Bank were domestic financial institutions subject to the Currency Transaction Reporting requirements described in the preceding paragraph.

j. In approximately April 2012, pursuant to bank policy and federal regulations, bank representatives questioned defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT about the $50,000 cash withdrawals that he had made.

k. In July 2012, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT began withdrawing cash in increments of less than $10,000. Defendant provided that cash to Individual A in an increment of $50,000 at pre-arranged meeting places and times.

l. In approximately 2014, defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT and Individual A changed the timing and amounts of the payments so that defendant provided Individual A $100,000 every three months. Defendant continued to withdraw cash in increments of less than $10,000. Defendant provided that cash in an increment of $100,000 at prearranged meeting places and times.

m. In approximately 2013, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Internal Revenue Service, agencies within the executive branch of the Government of the United States, began investigating defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT's cash withdrawals as possible structuring of currency transactions to evade the reporting requirements described above.

n. As of December 8, 2014, the following matters, among others, were material to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Internal Revenue Service regarding possible structuring by defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT:

i. Whether defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was withdrawing less than $10,000 in cash at a time in order to evade currency transaction reporting requirements;

ii. Whether defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was using the cash he was withdrawing to cover up past misconduct;

iii. Whether defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was using the cash he was withdrawing for a criminal purpose;

iv. Whether defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was the victim of a criminal extortion related to, among other matters, his prior positions in government and was giving
    the cash to another individual as payment; and

v. Whether defendant JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was using the cash for some other purpose, not related to a crime or past misconduct.

2. On or about December 8, 2014, in Plano, in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, JOHN DENNIS HASTERT, defendant herein, did knowingly and willfully make materially false, fictitious and fraudulent statements and representations in a matter within the jurisdiction of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, an agency within the executive branch of the Government of the United States, when JOHN DENNIS HASTERT was interviewed by agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his cash withdrawals over the prior four and a half years totaling in excess of $1.7 million. Specifically, in response to the agents' question confirming whether the purpose of the withdrawals was to store cash because he did not feel safe with the banking system, as he previously indicated, JOHN DENNIS HASTERT stated: "Yeah . . . I kept the cash. That's what I'm doing."

Whereas, in truth and in fact, as JOHN DENNIS HASTERT then well knew, this statement was false because:

(i) He had been withdrawing cash from banks and providing the cash to Individual A in amounts of $50,000 or $100,000 to satisfy the agreement he made with Individual A to provide $3.5 million in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct against Individual A; and

(ii) He had been withdrawing cash in increments of less than $10,000 to evade currency transaction reporting requirements because he wanted his agreement to compensate Individual A to remain secret so as to cover up his past misconduct; In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001(a)(2).

COUNT TWO
    The SPECIAL FEBRUARY 2014 GRAND JURY further charges:
    1. The allegations contained in paragraphs 1(a)-1(l) of Count One of this Indictment are realleged and incorporated herein.

2. Beginning no later than July 2012, and continuing until on or around December 6, 2014, in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, and elsewhere, JOHN DENNIS HASTERT, defendant herein, did knowingly and for the purpose of evading the reporting requirements of Title 31, United States Code, Section 5313(a) and regulations prescribed thereunder, structure and assist in structuring transactions at Old Second Bank, People's State Bank, Castle Bank and Chase Bank by withdrawing and causing the withdrawal of $952,000 in United States currency in amounts under $10,000 in separate transactions on at least 106 occasions; In violation of Title 31, United States Code, Section 5324(a)(3).

A TRUE BILL:
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same old, same old. This country is a train wreck and all politicols think about is, 'how will this affect me in my reelection bid".

Arm yourselves, revolution is just around the corner.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cornflk1
    Same old, same old. This country is a train wreck and all politicols think about is, 'how will this affect me in my reelection bid".

Arm yourselves, revolution is just around the corner.
    ...its fixing to happen....
  • Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    So this guy was a coach and teacher later went into politics. What does this tell you--on the take--no way in hell could a coach and teacher earnings accumulate the amounts he was apparently willing to pay out to cover his *

Hopefully the Feds come up with indirect charges as they have done with this guy, lot easier to prove, and sweep up the drunk * and the weasel McConnell and their supporting Rhinos. As a bonus good old crazy Harry Reid and the Progressive's on the other side of the aisle

I know it is a lot to hope for, but one can dream
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caught by his own laws, serves him right. Maybe now he will realize why it is none of the federal governments business how you deposit, withdraw or spend your money from your accounts cash or otherwise.

Hope he rots in jail for being the scumbag he is.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a politician held to the same standards as us peasants...UNBELIEVABLE
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just another political skumball from Illinoise.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say, don't stop at just him, get them all [;)]......all are lying * [:(!]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    thou shall not lie to anyone

Tell the FBI and other law enforcement agencies that. It's legal for them to lie to you, just not for you to lie to them.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Caught by his own laws, serves him right. Maybe now he will realize why it is none of the federal governments business how you deposit, withdraw or spend your money from your accounts cash or otherwise.

Hope he rots in jail for being the scumbag he is.

Agree, while I do not agree with the law I was LMOA when I read he was caught in a web of his own making.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He went into office with a net worth of @ $270 thousand, retired with a net worth of @ $17 million [:0]. Do you think he was for sale or a very good money manager ? LOL

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    A new "political class" has been created.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say sex was involved. Probably with a minor since he was a teacher.
    You were right todd, it was sex. I'll even go further and say it was a underage boy!
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..They'll get their pound of flesh...however, it's nobody's business if someone withdraws $10,001 or $9,999. As if it's not bad enough that it's taxed when it's earned, earned interest and when it's spent...they want to control how much one can use for whatever purpose the owner wishes. It's a crazy world out there.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..They'll get their pound of flesh...however, it's nobody's business if someone withdraws $10,001 or $9,999. As if it's not bad enough that it's taxed when it's made, earned interest and when it's spent...they want to control how much one can use for whatever purpose the owner wishes. It's a crazy world out there.
    Agreed. The structuring thing is just anothe intrusive sack of BS.
    edited November -1
    According to news media noise, this was sexual stuff with a teenage male student back when Hastert was a teacher.

There is a separate case of Hastert spending taxpayer money on his private business dealings.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anybody else wonder what would happen if we ALL stopped paying our taxes and turned on our current administration. ??????What are they going to do, put us all in jail???[:D]
    edited November -1
    So now the news is saying they have sources telling them Hastert sexually abused at least two teenagers when he was a teacher.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He was a high school teacher and wrestling coach for 16 years.
    One of those boys on the wrestling team is the one hitting Hastert up for millions in hush money.

Wrestling is a very "intimate" sport, if a guy were inclined to go the happy way he could get a good start on that wrestling mat.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be truly ironic if a champion of intrusive government goes to jail for lying to the FBI.

But, I want to know how the recipient of the payments reported the income. Gift? Self employment? Domestic employment? Did Denny give him a W-2? What do you with a pile of cash, put it in the freezer?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Neal
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't talk to the FBI and you can't possibly lie to them.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And yet Lois Lerner walks free.

Hillary will not be indicted for her email server.

Benghazi was about flips guns to rebels in Syria who turned out to be ISIS.

Makes me wonder if this story is made up. No Person A has turned up. The person wasn't blackmailing Hastert This story smells