In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

States Rights...

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Politics
Where does it begin , and where does it end ? Should our Federal Government have less power, are should the powers be curbed?

Comments

• gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    It begins by electing a more conservative Senate in 2014 and a more conservative POTUS in 2016. Only that way will the gov't start to be trimmed down and forced to get out of the way in taxes, regulations, and freeing up the economy.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    It begins and ends with forced compliance with the US Constitution.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    states rights are to be trampled by the feds like they treat the CONSTITUTION....unless by some miracle a large number of citizens/voters wake the hell up
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    states rights are to be trampled by the feds like they treat the CONSTITUTION....unless by some miracle a large number of citizens/voters wake the hell up

Considering how the public has acted for decades I seriously doubt it.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    My opinion.

The original 13 created the Federal government. The federal government created the other states, or at least had the major role in their creation. Texas joined up on its own.

My point....once the 13 ratified the Constitution, they seceded their power to the federal government. The 13 became one country, and they other states added to the country.

Some people still felt the each "state" was a country onto itself, but held together in loose union to combine for things like defense. That was not the case.

The Civil war settled all doubt about that.

We are not a nation of 50 "states".....we are one nation with 50 districts called states.

IMO....the state governments need to be eliminated as they are now nothing more than more bureaucracy and another layer of taxes. Keep the boarders for the purposes of electing senators and representatives.....but other than that, state government is no longer needed.

I dont get some of you guys.....you hate the federal government, but love state government......WHY? I dont like any government....and having the federal ON TOP OF 50 different state governments is crazy. Some state governments are far more inefficient, bloated, and sometimes tyrannical than the Federal!

Seems to me, get rid of the 50 little redundant outdated "state" governments.....they were OK when it took 3 weeks to mail a letter across the country....but in this modern age, their usefulness is over

I know that aint gonna happen....and its just my opinion.....
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer as close to home rule as possible ..all the tyrants that are herded together forget where they come from and why...I prefer on a local level a township system instead of a county unit ....this is a system in general...the farther away our "leadership" is the less it benefits where it come from..they just take care of themselves and their bank accounts