In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The more things change the more they stay the same

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Politics
A fable from about the 5th century BC:

Demades the orator was once speaking in the Assembly at Athens; but the people were very inattentive to what he was saying, so he stopped and said, "Gentlemen, I should like to tell you one of Aesop's fables." This made every one listen intently. Then Demades began: "Demeter, a Swallow, and an Eel were once traveling together, and came to a river without a bridge: the Swallow flew over it, and the Eel swam across"; and then he stopped. "What happened to Demeter?" cried several people in the audience. "Demeter," he replied, "is very angry with you for listening to fables when you ought to be minding public business."
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

And don't forget the rabbit! The most foul tempered rodent you'd ever seen with teeth thissssss big!!!
    edited November -1
    The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Not at all. They could be carried.

What? A swallow carrying a coconut?

It could grip it by the husk!

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
    edited November -1
    I WANT TO FACE THE PERIL!!!
    edited November -1
    No, no, it's much too perilous!
    edited November -1
    But I want to face the peril...there's only 150 of them.
    edited November -1
    Sir Lancelot had saved Sir Galahad from almost certain temptation, but they were still no nearer the Grail. Meanwhile, King Arthur and Sir Bedevere, not more than a swallow's flight away, had discovered something. Oh, that's an unladen swallow's flight, obviously. I mean, they were more than two laden swallows' flights away-- four, really, if they had a coconut on a line between them. I mean, if the birds were walking and dragging--
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Sir Lancelot had saved Sir Galahad from almost certain temptation, but they were still no nearer the Grail. Meanwhile, King Arthur and Sir Bedevere, not more than a swallow's flight away, had discovered something. Oh, that's an unladen swallow's flight, obviously. I mean, they were more than two laden swallows' flights away-- four, really, if they had a coconut on a line between them. I mean, if the birds were walking and dragging--

Oh get on with it!