In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Party Referendums on Texas 2014 primary ballots.

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Politics
These are from the 2014 primary ballots for March 4.
While some will view these are only smoke and mirrors they are meant to indicate a party direction.
Which do you agree with?

1. Congress should pass legislation raising the federal minimum wage to at least 110% of the federal poverty level for a family of four without exception.
2. Texas should abolish the state franchise tax, also known as the margins tax, to encourage business growth.
3. The Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare," should be repealed.
4. The Governor and the Texas Legislature should accept federal funds; as provided in the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act of 2010; for the expansion of Medicaid to provide coverage to millions of uninsured and underinsured Texans.
5. All elected officials and their staff should be subject to the same laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances as their constituents.
6. Texas should support Second Amendment liberties by expanding locations where concealed handgun license-holders may legally carry.
7. The United States Congress must pass immigration reform; including and earned path to citizenship for those individuals contributing to the economy and the dependents of those individuals.
8. Texans should be free to express their religious beliefs, including prayer, in public places.
9. The Congress and the Texas Legislature should adopt legislation that expands protections against discriminations in employment, housing, and public accommodations based upon sexual orientation and gender identity.
10. Texas recipients of taxpayer-funded public assistance should be subject to random drug testing as a condition of receiving benefits.

The voter's job is to find and support candidates that support their views and believe they will actually do what they say.
The clock is running.

P.S. the national debt is now $149,965 per taxpayer.

Comments

• jones0430jones0430 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your sources on the per capita national debt. You seem to double what other sources are quoting.

I'm really not too keen on ANY religion being foisted upon others. If you want to pray, do it. Don't ask me to participate. And here in Texas, participation seems to be the key that particular debate.

I'm also not secure in the thought of people taking firearms into a bar. To have a gun incident you first have to make the initial mistake. Mixing alcohol with firearms is the first mistake. Besides, the first thing that carrying does to many people is make them feel invincible, or more powerful. Just not the type of attitude you want in a drunk.

Before I'd agree to number 10, I'd first like to make it mandatory for random drug tests on all state elected officials. Then on all those with drivers licences, and government certifications.

Do you really support the expansion of big government and its intrusion on private citizens?
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a difference between 'per capita' and 'per taxpayer'.
    It is a big difference.
    It is a big part of the problem.

Also, I do flat out reject your stereotype of 'the first thing that carrying does to many people is make them feel invincible'.

The first thing it does, is make one feel more secure. Secure people are less likely to create problems than others. Drunk or not.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The debt figure is from the debt clock
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    I should have included INCOME in the statement.
    (it is now $150,092)
    If you pay income tax (not just payroll)this is YOUR fair share.

These 10 referendums are from both parties.
    4 from the D and 6 from the R.
    They were take from the sample ballots.

But expanding locations for CHL didn't necessarily mean in bars.
    The current law prohibiting firearms in bars and 51% locations must be working.
    In the last 20 years have there been any gun incidents where alcohol is served?

I think random drug testing should be applied to the ENTIRE PUBLIC sector as well.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    (it is now $150,092)

I think random drug testing should be applied to the ENTIRE PUBLIC sector as well.

WTH?

Why stop there? Microchip everyone. Allow every State to monitor the whereabouts of each and every citizen. If a crime is committed, we will know who was there. We will have the ability to track them and apprehend all who were in the location within hours, if not minutes.

Just how big and intrusive do you want our government to become?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    PUBLIC SECTOR not PRIVATE SECTOR.[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    (it is now $150,092)

WTH?

Why stop there? Microchip everyone. Allow every State to monitor the whereabouts of each and every citizen. If a crime is committed, we will know who was there. We will have the ability to track them and apprehend all who were in the location within hours, if not minutes.

Just how big and intrusive do you want our government to become?
    I don't want it to expand. However, the wild conservative Republicans in several state legislatures seem to want to expand it everywhere.

I always remember that my rights stop where yours begin, and visa versa. It would do us all well to remember that restricting some action or persons ability to do something will apply to us, perhaps in unintended ways. Which is one reason Jefferson said that the government that governs the best, rules the least.

Few of the jackanapes that we have elected to government positions seem to understand that.
    edited November -1

Where alcohol is served? There have been incidents. Google revealed at least 4 at bars in the last year, not to mention shootings in parking lots outside of bars/clubs. Admittedly that is across the nation.

And to the other post about carrying makes one feel secure, that is a personal observation that can be made only by the person carrying. In general, carrying a weapon by the general public cannot be characterized by such glowing terms. An armed person is more likely to shoot because they can, rather than because they should.

And if you don't feel secure, you are definitely in the wrong place.
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    You may not be aware. As citizens of this republic we have a Constitutional RIGHT to go armed.

Your "feelings/opinions" about the likelihood of people shooting when the shouldn't are immaterial in addition to being unsupported by facts.

Nice try.[xx(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson
    You may not be aware. As citizens of this republic we have a Constitutional RIGHT to go armed.

Your "feelings/opinions" about the likelihood of people shooting when the shouldn't are immaterial in addition to being unsupported by facts.

Nice try.[xx(]

To be specific, you have a right TO BE armed. The permission to carry a weapon in areas where you interact with other citizens IS NOT guaranteed by the constitution. In fact that is controlled by local government.
  • Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jones0430

Nice try.[xx(]

To be specific, you have a right TO BE armed. The permission to carry a weapon in areas where you interact with other citizens IS NOT guaranteed by the constitution. In fact that is controlled by local government.

"right to keep and bear arms" In your home? In the woods, alone? Standing in a vacant 100 acre field?

According to your interpretation do we also have the right to free speech and expression as long as no one is close enough to hear?

Local ordinances now super cede the preeminent law of the land?
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "A Trolling we will go,a trolling we will go!Hi Ho the Trolleo, a trolling we will go![:o)]
    edited November -1
    Update

Republican referendums
    Prop 1 Ability to freely express religious beliefs and prayer in public
    IN FAVOR 97.24%
    AGAINST 2.75

Prop 2 Expanding locations where CHL holders may legally carry
    IN FAVOR 86.92%
    AGAINST 13.07%

Prop 3 Abolish the state franchise tax to encourage business growth
    IN FAVOR 88.47%
    AGAINST 11.52%

Prop 4 Welfare recipients to be tested for drugs before receiving benefits
    IN FAVOR 94.90%
    AGAINST 5.09%

Prop 5 Elected officials and staff be subject to same laws as constituents
    IN FAVOR 99.36%
    AGAINST 0.63%

Prop 6 Repeal the Affordable Care Act
    IN FAVOR 93%
    AGAINST 6.99%

Turnout was 1,333,000 of the 13,601,324 Registered Voters. Abt. 9.8%

Democrat referendums
    Prop 1 Immigration reform
    IN FAVOR 86.46%
    AGAINST 13.53%

Prop 2 A living wage for all Texans
    IN FAVOR 89.09%
    AGAINST 10.9%

Prop 3 Medicaid expansion
    IN FAVOR 88.95%
    AGAINST 11.04%

Prop 4 On non-discrimination legislation
    IN FAVOR 88.11%
    AGAINST 11.88%

Turnout was 546,523 of the 13,601,324 Registered Voters. Abt. 4.01%
    edited November -1

Nice try.[xx(]

"right to keep and bear arms" In your home? In the woods, alone? Standing in a vacant 100 acre field?

According to your interpretation do we also have the right to free speech and expression as long as no one is close enough to hear?

Local ordinances now super cede the preeminent law of the land?
    I am continually amazed by people who claim that they know the Constitution yet don't understand how the Federal laws work in conjunction with the local laws. Why do you think it's permissable for a local city, state to pass laws restricting firearms, the possession of firearms, the capacity of magazines, etc?

Either learn the laws or don't preface your post with IN MY OPINION.
    edited November -1
    Update

Republican referendums

IN FAVOR 94.90%
    AGAINST 5.09%

What is amazing is that that proposition would force those accepting Unemployment benefits to do that.

In 2001 I was laid off by an offshoring operation, and due to 9/11 was unable to find a permanent position until 2010. I can assure you, that I do not take drugs, and would find that a highly unacceptable comment on me and an undue burden upon me. I would resent the fascist mentality that would seek to humiliate and intimidate me like that.

During my periods of unemployment I collected the princely sum of $340 dollars a week. I can assure you that that amount of money doesn't let you live the life of luxury. Even a single person would find that amount barely sufficient.

Remember the law of unintended consequences. You may have those consequences visited upon you.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    I call BS on you being "unemployed" from 2001 - 2010,

I'm 78 years old and can leave my home tomorrow morning, walking, looking for a job and be employed before Friday noon. All you were doing was riding the system.

When you begin to mature, you will actually have challenges in life and some respect for others.
    Hobo! I was laid off in the early sixties,when a Navy contract was completed..my Dad said I should go down and sign up to collect my "pennies" while I was waiting on a new contract... I went down and looked around,and saw all those folks milling around like cows waiting for a feed truck....I tossed my papers in the can and drove 40 miles and got a new job that day...If you want work,it will find you...No excuse to not have some kind of work...[:o)]
    edited November -1

I'm 78 years old and can leave my home tomorrow morning, walking, looking for a job and be employed before Friday noon. All you were doing was riding the system.

When you begin to mature, you will actually have challenges in life and some respect for others.

You are only 13 years my senior, but your outlook makes you look like you are in the 18th century.

IF I WANT to be downwardly mobile in my economic situation, I can certainly take your advice and go mow lawns.

However, my skill sets are likely much different than yours, and I daresay, I'm much more flexible in what I can do. I didn't want to dig ditches or flip burgers. A $10 an hour job was not what I wanted to backslide to.

I suggest that your insult about my maturity reflects your lack of objectivity and perception, it certainly doesn't reflect any of the challenges I have faced and surmounted.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Update

Republican referendums

IN FAVOR 94.90%
    AGAINST 5.09%

What is amazing is that that proposition would force those accepting Unemployment benefits to do that.

In 2001 I was laid off by an offshoring operation, and due to 9/11 was unable to find a permanent position until 2010. I can assure you, that I do not take drugs, and would find that a highly unacceptable comment on me and an undue burden upon me. I would resent the fascist mentality that would seek to humiliate and intimidate me like that.

During my periods of unemployment I collected the princely sum of $340 dollars a week. I can assure you that that amount of money doesn't let you live the life of luxury. Even a single person would find that amount barely sufficient.

Remember the law of unintended consequences. You may have those consequences visited upon you.

What is wrong with drug testing before one goes on the dole? Why would I want to pay my hard earned dough to a druggie? I have never been unemployed since I started working delivering newspapers in Charleston WV when I was ten years old....that would be sixty years ago. Still working and paying taxes. Never sucked at the public tit nor have any members of my hard working family. If one wants a job one can find a job. Now if one wants to sit home, complain about the "...princely sum of $340 a week..." and how hard it is to live on that free dough for ten years, excuse me, you do not have my sympathy. Your "give it to me" attitude is one reason why this country is darn far in debt IMO. Quit making excuses, find a job somewhere and start to contribute to society in a positive way rather than being a "taker." Back on topic, I think the TX primary ballot responses sound good to me.
    edited November -1

You are only 13 years my senior, but your outlook makes you look like you are in the 18th century.

IF I WANT to be downwardly mobile in my economic situation, I can certainly take your advice and go mow lawns.

However, my skill sets are likely much different than yours, and I daresay, I'm much more flexible in what I can do. I didn't want to dig ditches or flip burgers. A $10 an hour job was not what I wanted to backslide to.

I suggest that your insult about my maturity reflects your lack of objectivity and perception, it certainly doesn't reflect any of the challenges I have faced and surmounted.

No reason for anyone to insult your maturity, you've done that yourself. You have also posted just how lazy you are.

Tell us again about your "downward mobility". Evidently, you have not been hungry. Your intelligence, or lack thereof, is showing and don't know what real life challenges are.

Back to OP. Same problem every election. Voters talk a lot, but continue to vote with their eyes/minds closed.

Youo neither rebut nor contribute other to be passive-aggressive. What you do is typical conservative fuzzy thinking. Sound familiar? It is the result of being narrow minded, and dogmatic. The same thing you are accusing others of being.

Step back and critically evalutate things makes a lot more sense than going along in lock-step. Unless you want to emulate the occurances in the Weimar Republic and the dictatorship of the proletariat.

However, I can see by your refusal to evaluate anything that is outside your own comfort zone, that what I post is like pissing in the wind. Very unlikely to have any kind of positive affect.

So go on, mire yourself in the comfort of following what makes you feel safe. You are not alone, nor are you the first. Sadly, you aren't one to be depended upon to do the right thing to advance the society.
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent a year in Texas 1 summer, but I got over that. Texas is the only state in the union that can legally secede from the US as it was a republic once.
    Just stay back and watch.