In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Baby Boomers Under Attack for Their Benifits

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Politics
This is just the beginning for you attack where the most fat is at!
Baby-boomers with social security that are well off are in the target scope for removing their ill got gains! Just watch!

serf

https://medium.com/@berniebleske/what-the-hell-are-we-going-to-do-about-the-boomers-2e1528728e1b

They were given enormous power (one might even say they were spoiled beyond measure), then they took more power and more reward to feed their ravenous appetites, and now they cannot let it go.

Clinging to their wealth and insisting on their independence as they grow ever more dependent on those around them, they keep building and buying and voting to meet their own selfish wants as the world withers around them.

Comments

• wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing new here. It's been long known that as the baby boomers retired it was eventually going to overload Social Security and Medicare. Congress simply decided not to do anything about it except babble meaningless nonsense to the voting public.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained
    Nothing new here. It's been long known that as the baby boomers retired it was eventually going to overload Social Security and Medicare. Congress simply decided not to do anything about it except babble meaningless nonsense to the voting public.

There's much more in the article like having a new political correctness where all baby-boomers take a big hit across the board to even out the playing field for others to be able to insure their livelihood that would be fairer for them i.e. so-cial-ism .

Which does not work because the politicians just steal what they saved to further their lifestyle in the end. And the old poor people are sacrificial for the cause anyway because they are takers not givers.

G-d help you if your put into a rest home with mental dementia with A.I. parameters in control and have no good kin that cares to watch over you.

serf
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    SSI and Medicare would be fine financially had Congress not greatly expanded the benefits well beyond the initial scope.

IF/Should it fail, the welfare program should fail long before since they contributed zero to the benefits they get.

Why is there NEVER any discussion that welfare is going broke and will cease to exist soon ~ only SSI and Medicare that working people pay into is in danger of failing?

[}:)]

The poor have nothing to steal from. The entitlements have been stolen already too by the politicians and it's a much larger portion of the deficit spending,Social security is going red this year and I suspect medicare is going red very soon.

Do you think that The military is going to get cut first? Think again they after all work for the politicians. The apron string has been there since Rome forbid the crossing of the Rubicon.

A great dictator is coming. History is just repeating itself.Mankind never learns.

serf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Rubicon

n 49 BC, perhaps on January 10, C. Julius Caesar led a single legion, Legio XIII, south over the Rubicon from Cisalpine Gaul to Italy to make his way to Rome. In doing so, he (deliberately) broke the law on imperium and made armed conflict inevitable. Suetonius depicts Caesar as undecided as he approached the river, and attributes the crossing to a supernatural apparition. It was reported that Caesar dined with Sallust, Hirtius, Oppius, Lucius Balbus and Sulpicus Rufus on the night after his famous crossing into Italy January 10.[1]

According to Suetonius, Caesar uttered the famous phrase #257;lea iacta est ("the die has been cast").[2] The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" has survived to refer to any individual or group committing itself irrevocably to a risky or revolutionary course of action, similar to the modern phrase "passing the point of no return". Caesar's decision for swift action forced Pompey, the lawful consuls (C. Claudius Marcellus and L. Cornelius Lentulus Crus), and a large part of the Roman Senate to flee Rome in fear. Caesar's subsequent victory in Caesar's the War of Northern Aggression ensured that he would never be punished for the infraction.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always blamed the "greatest generation". They voted themselves massive benefits & refused to properly fund them or cut them. I now discover that I am included in that group but most of it came before I could vote. (1961) I did argue against Medicare before it started.
    These old geezers carefully protected themselves from such things as the tax on Social Security. When it was first started the exemption amount meant the great majority would pay little or nothing but by not indexing the exemption for inflation they knew the impact it would have later on their children AFTER they were dead.
    This idea that I get mine & to heck with my children & grand-children is why these programs are in such trouble. Small cuts years ago would be paying big dividends now. The longer we wait the bigger the cuts are going to have to be.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    social security was cheated out of most of the money by CONGRESS... robbing millions out and leaving IOU's that could never be repaid.....60 minutes many years ago had a reporter looking for several weeks till he found one closet size room with a very large filing cabinet chock full of IOU's for outrageous sums ....congress knew they could not repay them nor did they care....every critter that promoted and signed off on those should have ALL their assets seized and sold to put a little back in the pot....which would not be in financial trouble if the funds had been held sacred for their intented use only
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And just what were they supposed to invest the money in? Do you think they should have just stored all the cash in some vault? The problem is that the payouts, including things that should never have been, are not sustainable.
    Just one simple example, you can be married to someone for ten years, get a divorce & collect on THEIR lifetime earnings forty years later.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    social security was cheated out of most of the money by CONGRESS... robbing millions out and leaving IOU's that could never be repaid.....60 minutes many years ago had a reporter looking for several weeks till he found one closet size room with a very large filing cabinet chock full of IOU's for outrageous sums ....congress knew they could not repay them nor did they care....every critter that promoted and signed off on those should have ALL their assets seized and sold to put a little back in the pot....which would not be in financial trouble if the funds had been held sacred for their intented use only

A ponzi scheme with a big fat war at the end when they lower the hammer on us to become a NWO serf. It's already in the works with total surveillance and 5G mini cell transmitters install everywhere for compliance with a cashless society with a mark.

serf

The government doesn't write "IOU's"

All the funds collected by the government go into one big pot. Each department is allocated so much in the annual budget (when one is passed).

Each year they are prompted to spend their entire budget or the next year, it gets funded less.

There are no IOU's ... just numbers in computers and print outs in ledger books no one really looks at.

[:(]
    edited November -1
    call it what u want ...i watched the show...AND as of 2014 congress has "borrowed" $2.8 TRILLION from the SS trust fund and used the money for other purposes.....i see no way to get it back
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    call it what u want ...i watched the show...AND as of 2014 congress has "borrowed" $2.8 TRILLION from the SS trust fund and used the money for other purposes.....i see no way to get it back

Take a little time and do the research. Yes the money was loaned to the US Government. It was loaned at a rate above the going rate of Treasury Bonds, and returned much more to the 'Trust Fund' than was borrowed. Don't take my word for it. Don't believe and agenda piece on 60 Minutes. The information is there.

Here is one link, but there are many:

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/investheld.cgi

The problem is, as serf points out, that the Greatest Generation and their demon spawn (we Baby Boomers) have voted them(are)selves through our representatives way more money than could be supported by the amounts we contributed.

It is a spending problem, not a collection or investment/retention problem, and it was not Congress, it was us.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the old geezers are drawing SSI at 1980 income levels while the current 6 figure incomes are paying in at their rate. How can SS being going broke?
    No big concern for me anyway as I've not paid enough SS to get back the price of a cup of coffee.
    edited November -1
    i do not break the poverty level income on my SS.....
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny how a multi millionaire with $500,000 per yr in investment income gets full SSI while I with a 60K pension gets his SSI cut because I get a government pension even as I paid in full my SSI on all the second jobs [full time hours] I had.
    Oh the suck bags in washingtoon who voted to screw me - exempted themselves. They get 3x the pension I do and 100% SSI.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really wish people would stop referring to *Social Security* as "SSI".

They are two separate programs and you can't have any discussion about fixing the problems with either if people can't even make a distinction between the two.
    edited November -1
    We should respict their benifits.

-Al Sharpton-

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

They are two separate programs and you can't have any discussion about fixing the problems with either if people can't even make a distinction between the two.

Sorry, What should I call it?
    Supplemental? ? ?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99

Supplemental? ? ?

SSI is a needs based program...entitlement is based solely on your income and whether you are disabled, old, or blind. You can never work a day in your life and receive SSI

Social Security is not a needs based program. You gain eligibility by paying into the program and either being disabled or retired. Some people get benefits by "piggybacking" off of someone else's work record.

Social Security is supposed to be paid out of a separate fund than the general fund....but we all know its all monopoly money at this point.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Supplemental? ? ?

SSI is a needs based program...entitlement is based solely on your income and whether you are disabled, old, or blind. You can never work a day in your life and receive SSI

Social Security is not a needs based program. You gain eligibility by paying into the program and either being disabled or retired. Some people get benefits by "piggybacking" off of someone else's work record.

Social Security is supposed to be paid out of a separate fund than the general fund....but we all know its all monopoly money at this point.

I had this discussion not long ago, social security is SSI, it is insurance.

But if you wish to change the definitions to fund your freebees go right ahead.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00

Supplemental? ? ?

I had this discussion not long ago, social security is SSI, it is insurance.

But if you wish to change the definitions to fund your freebees go right ahead.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/

From the link:

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and

It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Like I said, if you wish to change the definitions, go right ahead, that does not change what SSI started as Social Security Insurance.

Don't need a revolution if you win by changing the definitions.

From in the days of inception and it still goes on today.

The 1938 pamphlet, published after the decisions, shows the insurance-framing project once again in full flower: ?Your [Social Security] card shows that you have an insurance account with the U.S. Government?Federal old age and survivors insurance. This is a national insurance plan for all workers in commerce and industry . . . . [T]axes are like the premium on any other kind of insurance.?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Like I said, if you wish to change the definitions, go right ahead, that does not change what SSI started as Social Security Insurance.

Don't need a revolution if you win by changing the definitions.

From in the days of inception and it still goes on today.

The 1938 pamphlet, published after the decisions, shows the insurance-framing project once again in full flower: ?Your [Social Security] card shows that you have an insurance account with the U.S. Government?Federal old age and survivors insurance. This is a national insurance plan for all workers in commerce and industry . . . . [T]axes are like the premium on any other kind of insurance.?

They are two totally different programs and not even related. Are you confusing SSI
    With SSDI?

Brad Steele
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rack,...you're wasting your time buddy. A lot of the members of this forum call it SSI, no matter how many times you try and correct them. I've tried to straighten a few out numerous times in the past, and they still call it SSI.

At this point I just assume we have a lot of folks that have never worked a day in their lives here.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    "I had this discussion not long ago, social security is SSI, it is insurance."

Got it. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Rack,...you're wasting your time buddy. A lot of the members of this forum call it SSI, no matter how many times you try and correct them. I've tried to straighten a few out numerous times in the past, and they still call it SSI.

At this point I just assume we have a lot of folks that have never worked a day in their lives here.[:D]

Black people and same sexers try changing the terminology, but guess what, they still are. Just because auto censor won't let me type it, still don't change what they are.

And now you have little boys thinking they are girls because you libs won't correct them.

You can call the tail of a bovine a leg and tell me it has 5 legs, but that is just not true.

So now we have 2 definitions for the acronym SSI

Social Security Insurance

Supplemental Security Income

We have goobermint double dipping now. How nice of them.

And I'm sure you can pull up all sorts of pages to show how different they are, but it was just a stock split so to speak. Except they are taking money from us, instead of bringing more value.

But since I had to look up the new acronym instead of just calling SSI social security insurance, as it has been for nearly 100 years, that is proof enough of shenanigans in the goobermint.
    edited November -1

Black people and same sexers try changing the terminology, but guess what, they still are. Just because auto censor won't let me type it, still don't change what they are.

And now you have little boys thinking they are girls because you libs won't correct them.

You can call the tail of a bovine a leg and tell me it has 5 legs, but that is just not true.

And I'm sure you can pull up all sorts of pages to show how different they are, but it was just a stock split so to speak. Except they are taking money from us, instead of bringing more value.

But since I had to look up the new acronym instead of just calling SSI social security insurance, as it has been for nearly 100 years, that is proof enough of shenanigans in the goobermint.

SSI has never been "Social Security Insurance". Ever.

The official name of the Social Security program was OASI (Old Age and Survivors Insurance) when it was originally signed into law by FDR. When Disability benefits were added, it became known as "OASDI".

Sorry, you're still wrong....and no amount of blathering about "black people" and "same sexers" is going to fix that. [:)]
    edited November -1
    whatevertheFitscalled...after 55 years of paying i am getting some back and gladofit.....
    edited November -1

SSI has never been "Social Security Insurance". Ever.

The official name of the Social Security program was OASI (Old Age and Survivors Insurance) when it was originally signed into law by FDR. When Disability benefits were added, it became known as "OASDI".

Sorry, you're still wrong....and no amount of blathering about "black people" and "same sexers" is going to fix that. [:)]

And technically the sun does not come up in the east, what's your point? It has been touted and generally accepted as social security insurance, why the change now?

Obamacare is not obamacare too, again irrelevant for the discussion.
    edited November -1

And technically the sun does not come up in the east, what's your point? It has been touted and generally accepted as social security insurance, why the change now?

The point is that when one refers to SSI, knowledgeable people will think one is referring to SSI, and not Social Security.

I am beginning to understand why you 'had this discussion not long ago'. When one refers to something incorrectly, one often has to explain what they mean to those who know what they are talking about.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

The point is that when one refers to SSI, knowledgeable people will think one is referring to SSI, and not Social Security.

I am beginning to understand why you 'had this discussion not long ago'. When one refers to something incorrectly, one often has to explain what they mean to those who know what they are talking about.

Knowledgeable people know that SSI is the original social security.

The scammers and thieves in politics and other, would have you believe otherwise.

Just like marriage, knowledgeable people know it is between a man and woman. [;)]
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained

The social security rate that is paid in has SIGNIFICANTLY increased, plus the age of full benefits has risen.

Medicare needs more funding as if a top payment of $428 per month if you're single and making $160.000 a month,, guess $428 might be peanuts,, MAKE THEM PAY MORE !!! I need my health care.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html