In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

god bless harry truman on this day.

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
edited August 2016 in Politics
on this day my father got a new lease on life, after fighting in the south pacific for just about two years, president truman had the guts to order the atomic bomb dropped on japan and a few days later did it again.ending the need to invade japan. i lost my father in 2007, but i had him in my life for 62 years and i might not have had him all those later years. if not for harry truman. mr myopic.

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad he didn't have the guts to let McArthur win the Korean War.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    mac was going to start a much bigger war, in the long run truman may have saved many more lives by canning mac. i think korea was a start in many small wars we should have maybe stayed out of. i served in the vietnam war and i still don,t think much of it, like korea we didn,t win much of any thing, but lost a whole lot. mr myopic.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I remember when the Japs finally surrendered every adult you would see walking around with a smile, the women hugging each other, the men happy as hell----The boys are coming home no more telegrams or visits by the Government with sad news.

Have a few times had some Lib condemn dropping the two bombs, about the my first statement in the form of a question comes flying off my lips----were you alive when they were dropped or anytime during the war---when the answer is no I then unload
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We dropped TWO BIG ONES. Then those traitors gave the plans to the Russians. Rosenbergs shall burn in a hydrogen bomb crater.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    list what the klintons have given to our enemies....it will surprise you
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Missouri Mule K30
    We dropped TWO BIG ONES. Then those traitors gave the plans to the Russians. Rosenbergs shall burn in a hydrogen bomb crater.

Notable atomic spies[edit]

Sketch of an implosion-type nuclear weapon design made by David Greenglass as state's evidence, illustrating what he gave the Rosenbergs to pass on to the Soviet Union.Morris Cohen - an American, "Thanks to Cohen, designers of the Soviet atomic bomb got piles of technical documentation straight from the secret laboratory in Los Alamos," the newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda said. Morris and his wife, Lona, served eight years in prison, less than half of their sentences before being released in a prisoner swap with the Soviet Union. He died without revealing the name of the American scientist who helped pass vital information about the United States atomic bomb project.[13]
    Klaus Fuchs - the German-born British theoretical physicist who worked with the British delegation at Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project. After Fuchs' confession, there was a trial that lasted less than 90 minutes, Lord Goddard sentenced him to fourteen years' imprisonment, the maximum for violating the Official Secrets Act. He escaped the charge of espionage because of the lack of independent evidence and because, at the time of his activities, the Soviet Union was not an enemy of Great Britain.[14] In December 1950 he was stripped of his British citizenship. He was released on June 23, 1959, after serving nine years and four months of his sentence at Wakefield prison. He was allowed to emigrate to Dresden, then in the German Democratic Republic.[15][16]
    Harry Gold - an American, confessed to acting as a courier for Greenglass and Fuchs. He was sentenced in 1951 to thirty years imprisonment. He was paroled in May 1966, after serving just over half of his sentence.[17]
    David Greenglass - an American machinist at Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project. Greenglass confessed that he gave crude schematics of lab experiments to the Russians during World War II. Some aspects of his testimony against his sister and brother-in-law (the Rosenbergs, see below) are now thought to have been fabricated in an effort to keep his own wife, Ruth, from prosecution. Greenglass was sentenced to 15 years in prison, served 10 years, and later reunited with his wife.[18]
    Theodore Hall - an American, the youngest physicist at Los Alamos who gave a detailed description of the Fat Man plutonium bomb, and of several processes for purifying plutonium, to Soviet intelligence. His identity as a spy was not revealed until very late in the 20th century. He was never tried for his espionage work, though he admitted to it in later years to reporters and to his family.[19]
    George Koval - the American-born son of a Belorussian emigrant family that returned to the Soviet Union where he was inducted into the Red Army and recruited into the GRU intelligence service. He infiltrated the US Army and became a radiation health officer in the Special Engineering Detachment. Acting under the code name Delmar he obtained information from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the Dayton Project about the Urchin detonator used on the Fat Man plutonium bomb. His work was not known to the west until he was posthumously recognized as a hero of the Russian Federation by Vladimir Putin in 2007.
    Irving Lerner - an American film director, he was caught photographing the cyclotron at the University of California, Berkeley in 1944.[20] After the war he was blacklisted.
    Alan Nunn May - a British citizen, he was one of the first Soviet spies uncovered during the Cold War. He worked on the Manhattan Project and was betrayed by a Soviet defector in Canada. His was uncovered in 1946 and it led the United States to restrict the sharing of atomic secrets with Britain. On May 1, 1946, he was sentenced to ten years hard labour. He was released in 1952, after serving six and a half years.[21]
    Ethel and Julius Rosenberg - Americans who were involved in coordinating and recruiting an espionage network that included Ethel's brother, David Greenglass. Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were tried for conspiracy to commit espionage, since the prosecution seemed to feel that there was not enough evidence to convict on espionage. Treason charges were not applicable, since the United States and the Soviet Union were allies at the time. The Rosenbergs denied all the charges but were convicted in a trial in which the prosecutor Roy Cohn said he was in daily secret contact with the judge, Irving Kaufman. Despite an international movement demanding clemency, and appeals to President Dwight D. Eisenhower by leading European intellectuals and the Pope, the Rosenbergs were executed at the height of the Korean War. President Eisenhower wrote to his son, serving in Korea, that if he spared Ethel (presumably for the sake of her children), then the Soviets would simply recruit their spies from among women.[22][23][24]
    Saville Sax - an American, acted as the courier for Klaus Fuchs and Theodore Hall.[19]
    Morton Sobell - the American engineer tried and convicted along with the Rosenbergs who was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment, but released from Alcatraz in 1969, after serving 17 years and 9 months.[25] After proclaiming his innocence for over half a century, Sobell admitted spying for the Soviets, and implicated Julius Rosenberg, in an interview with the New York Times published on September 11, 2008.[26]
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have staked them down, let the ants and Crows eat them all.