In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I.Q test before being allowed to Vote?

e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Politics
Maybe there should be some kind of test to show a Person is competent to Vote.
I was there during Obama's visit to Cleveland because I was driving My Son to College but Obama had the Streets blocked off so He could not get near the School so We had to go home.

http://youtu.be/tpAOwJvTOio

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    No, the only requirements should be that you are:
    a) a landowner
    b) male or
    c) actively serving military
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    o, the only requirements should be that you are:
    a) a landowner
    b) male or

That worked well for a long time. Then everyone had to be equal and here we are.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My franchise rules:

1) 18 years old
    2) Must pay federal income tax (IE, if you get all federal taxes back, you don't get to vote).
    3) Must have held a job for at least 6 out of the last 12 months.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with the tests were who wrote & graded the tests. How would you like to be given a test on black history to be able to vote?

My grandfather ran for the House of Representatives in 1916 & sometime in the middle 50s I found the items he had saved from back then like old buttons & campaign signs & literature.
    He had three main things he was running on.
    1. keep us out of the war.
    2. prohibition
    3. Women's suffrage

Till the day he died he still maintained he was right about the first one.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    The problem with the tests were who wrote & graded the tests. How would you like to be given a test on black history to be able to vote?

My grandfather ran for the House of Representatives in 1916 & sometime in the middle 50s I found the items he had saved from back then like old buttons & campaign signs & literature.
    He had three main things he was running on.
    1. keep us out of the war.
    2. prohibition
    3. Women's suffrage

Till the day he died he still maintained he was right about the first one.

He's right if he prefe3rred Germany to win the European war; which would have precluded having WW II, though not sure how the Communist thing would have gone.

There'd be a lot of problems setting up an evaluation of people's IQ, but there should be some mechanism for requiring at least a minimum level of knowledge about the world and how things work- but then again, it see3ms several in Congress might have difficulty passing any sort of a test on those subjects.[:(]
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should have said I.Q Test.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered that there may only be a handful of GBers that would be allowed to vote?[:D]
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Serving in the military and passing an IQ test would only select a smaller and completely arbitrary slice of the population. Owning land would eventually ensure that only rich people could control the policies of the nation and we fled to this country to escape that kind of oppression. There is no meaningful test or stricture which can be applied and still leave us in a nation which holds freedom above all else.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sometimes wonder if that nature of test should apply to this forum...
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and how would you find any in govt qualified to administer those voting standards ??????????????????????
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in the South, where there WERE tests to qualify people to vote. One was a literacy test- prove that you could read and write.

I was about 8 years old, and had walked out to the local general store/post office/ volunteer fire dept- where the polls were set up for election. Uncle Moscoe- a 90 year old black man that had been a friend of my family's for decades- was also at the store.

One of the local (half) wits decided to have some fun with the old black man- called him over and asked him if he had voted? When he said no, he never had voted- the wit asked if he could read and write? Uncle Moscoe told him he could write, and read his bible every day. So the wit said "Well, just show us you can read the newspaper, and you can vote today." And handed him what I could see was a Chinese newspaper.

Uncle Moscoe looked at the paper, looked back up, and said "Ain't that something- I can read that just fine." Stunned look from the wit. "You can?!? What does it say?"

He folded the paper, handed it back to the wit, and said "Says right there- ain't no black man going to be voting this year." And turned and quietly walked away.

You want a test? Think about who creates- and grades your test.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    a) a landowner
    b) male or

That would be easy to get around. Have you ever seen those ads where you can buy a square inch of land for a couple of bucks and it comes with a deed?
  • DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I think there should be some sort of testing before you're able to vote, hell look at all of the dumb people on reality TV these days, some of them are dumber than a rock, yet they're still able to vote. Albeit I don't think an IQ test would be the most effective way of carrying out testing, there are better methods of truly gauging ones intelligence.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    a) a landowner
    b) male or

That would be easy to get around. Have you ever seen those ads where you can buy a square inch of land for a couple of bucks and it comes with a deed?
    no.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The I.Q. test is an interesting question. However the current state of our educational system graduating students who cannot read, write, or do simple sums makes that question moot. They teach what not how to think.
    Who is going to read it to them?

I think just giving them the military ID 10 T form to complete would be more fun.
    A lot of females would disagree with male only vote idea. I personally would go along with that as long as there were NO female lawmakers.
    Female voters often vote for the best looking candidate = jimmy carter, bill clinton were elected.
    They all seem to be the oh poor baby let us help them crowd.
    Me I'm with Darwin. If they can't do it on their own screw 'em let them die and get out of the way and let the people keep their money for useful projects not give away for useless eaters.
    I guess that makes me an evil heartless twank.
  • DaveJDaveJ Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it really matter........the voting machines are rigged