In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I don't agree at all

2»

Comments

• skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    How to fix it:

1. Have doctors kill people. A huge slice of health care costs come at the end of life. Because we are Americans and because we believe that every problem can be solved, including death, the last three months of our lives most of us are in the hospital, in the ICU, constantly visiting the doctor, etc. It's a horrible routine, it's awful for the patient and doctor, and you still die anyway. If you're 82, have diabetes, are in poor health, and fall and break your hip, it's time to go. You don't need a $120,000 hip replacement and a $140,000 five months in a nursing home only to die of pneumonia. You've had a good run. It's time to say goodbye. You get a two-night stay in the hospital with some good painkillers, a final visit from the family, and then goodbye.

Along with this, have doctors kill young people who have horrible genetic conditions. There's a teenager, one kid, in Iowa who has hemophilia. His care costs $1,000,000 a month. Yes, a million dollars a month. Assuming he survives, it's going to be a million dollars a month for the rest of his life. It's a terrible condition, a tremendous shame, but we must acknowledge that he is sucking up a huge amount of the health care dollars available to help all. And he's not the only case like that. If your health care is chronically going to cost more than $10,000 a month, I think we need to look at whether or not it's a life worth living.

2. Health insurances costs 3 times as much for fat people, 6 times as much for fat people who smoke. Sorry, but them's the breaks. Fat smokers suck up a huge amount of health dollars, and that's by choice. Put down the Lucky Strike and the Whopper and work out 5 times a week and you risk of developing cancer or heart disease or diabetes plummets.

I wondered who they would get to participate in the death panels under govt managed health care. Now I know or maybe you forgot the green font.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the fiasco known as "Obamacare" has done is now the popular belief is that health care is a right, to be furnished by the Government, whether you want it or not.
    The problems in the health care industry ten years ago could have been
    eased without all the hell we have been thru since. Costs were out of hand and Government interference was already making it worse.
    I would really like to know who has benefited from the past 8 years of this mess.
    I know people that not only lost their health insurance, but their jobs because of it. I personally know no one who gained from it.
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    If we, as a country, demand that health care facilities must provide treatment, regardless of ability to pay, then we must also demand that people buy insurance that they do not want....because we simply cannot afford to pay for the former without the support of the latter.

It really is as simple as that.

"We" as a country do not demand everybody get health care or other services for free, the rest of your argument falls apart.

Insurance is not healthcare either.
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The basis of the problem is the people. at least 40% of the people don't seem to understand where the government gets it's money from.
    Benjamin Franklin warned us about this in the 1700's. Then the politicians pander to the stupid people to provide their demands. The trick for them is to figure out how to make them pay for the so called free stuff without them knowing it. Lately that isn't hard. About 70% of college kids think they can get free college. What they don't know is they will have to pay for everybody else for the rest of their lives.
    Argentina here we come.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    Mandatory insurance is un American. We don't need health insurance, we need competitive health care. Competition dives pricing to a natural level. Insurance companies drive the cost of health care and that is backwards. People get sick and die no matter which system we finally choose. The path we are on guarantees the enrichment of the insurers, who don't actually accomplish any health care.

I agree 100% with you in a perfect world, but we both know insurance based health care is not going away.

I expect you are right but it really sticks in my craw to admit it. It is like accepting your grocery bill will double because the whole family now has tapeworms and nobody wants to even discus getting rid of them as it is easier to just pay more for groceries.

The costs for both insurance and the actual care are OUT OF CONTROL. I pay almost 9K a year for my plan,....which is excellent BTW. $500.00 deductible, $2,500.00 max out of pocket, which includes prescriptions.

Here's where the issue is. I can easily afford this due to the amount of money I make. On the other hand, I personally know some good folks that work hard, but don't make a lot of money. What I pay for insurance would take 1/3 or more of their net pay for the year.

I know one guy that is having obvious hypertension/heart issues, but he can't afford to see a doctor or the almost certain prescriptions, so he ignores it. He falls in that gap where he can't go to the county health clinic, and can't get prescription assistance from the drug manufacturers.

There is a small slice of the population that are good people that fall in between the assistance deadbeats, and those that are doing well. Those are the ones I feel sorry for.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only our congress would make a plan so complicated that they would have to have agencies in every state to explain...Kansas had 40 options...and SUBSIDIES ?????...way stupid..either it is affordable or NOT
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dead beats and illegals know there's free healthcare at the ER. Oh and the Emergency ambulance is treated like a taxi by them too.
    Yep that's why there's so many in the waiting area. Guess who's footing their bills?

If NARCAN is free to dying drug addict OD's why is life saving/prolonging drugs not also free to those in need?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems to me the plans to give tax credits or subsidies to some sounds like the old mines who hired miners, paid them work, required them to live in mine houses, and buy everything at the mine store...and eventually move away with nothing