In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA =Turncoat traitorous organization

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Politics
I could care less about bump Fire stocks, full autos, or silencers.

That said, my mind can?t digest this in any acceptable manner when stated by an organization that is founded on protecting the second amendment.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/
In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control. Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world. In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations. In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot get it to load on my iPhone. How about a copy and past, or paraphrase it for me?

Added: Thanks for the notes.
    What's next?
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (FAIRFAX, VA) - The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control. Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world. In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations. In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That IS the NRA
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think on behalf of 5 million members BS [:(!]
    they lost one today and the NRA will never see another dime from me
    edited November -1
    Like America, the NRA has to defend itself from the enemies that infest it as well.
    What's next?
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun control is coming....Obama saw to that...and we all lose our rights....
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Low hanging fruit.

Its hard for me to fault the nra for taking this position.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the NRA helped limit full-automatic weapons to begin with. They also helped Ronnie limit them even more in 1986. So this is just the NRA backing up what they believe in, at least they are consistent.
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I wonder what we would be talking about if not for the NRA. I agree with no gun control. but I do think they help more than they hurt. with the crazy liberals grabbing at guns at every tragedy. its a wonder we still have a .22
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Same song from the NRA, different verse. I'm surprised anyone here expected anything different.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    I wonder what we would be talking about if not for the NRA. I agree with no gun control. but I do think they help more than they hurt. with the crazy liberals grabbing at guns at every tragedy. its a wonder we still have a .22
    Considering they have supported every major piece of gun restriction legislation over the past century, I think we'd be a lot better off 2A-wise, without them than we are with them.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think one of our members suggested that Bump fire may belong in the same category as Full auto and he wasn't called out like the NRA.

Shamefully the NRA is in a bad position with only 5 million members and tens of millions more non members. That weakens its position to defend our freedoms without becoming the punching bag of the left wingers and the media.

Easy to blame the NRA for failure to support our cause but when tens of millions of Gun owners support no organization at all should they be running their mouths?

I added as recommended by others here the SAF to my list of Gun organizations I support.

It is really all about "Put up or shut up".

How many threads I can't tell you where members here chastise those in other states who have lost rights, it is only a matter of time, how many times can we do nothing but be outraged?

I am not suggesting anyone go Batpoop crazy, I am suggesting that if the NRA, SAF or some other organization had 60 million members or more allot more power is wielded.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a Life Member, I sent them an email.

They said they would contact me.

I will let you know what they said.

[:(!]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

Received 7:24 (local time)

"Thank you for your inquiry to the National Rifle Association. A representative will contact you directly."

I can hardly wait. They will have to leave a message, as I don't answer my phone.
    edited November -1
    Whatever we might think the NRA meant, the word on street is that the NRA has no intention of changing any regulations. This, from a private source.
    What's next?
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Whatever we might think the NRA meant, the word on street is that the NRA has no intention of changing any regulations. This, from a private source.

The NRA is not a big enough lobby to stop bump fire stocks from being banned. Now single triggers pull assemblies is another matter and in road to regulate firearms even more,give a politician an inch and they want a mile. NRA just should have shut up entirely about any stance on compromising on gun laws. They shot themselves in the foot. Or did they?

serf
    edited November -1

"Thank you for your inquiry to the National Rifle Association. A representative will contact you directly."

I can hardly wait. They will have to leave a message, as I don't answer my phone.

Well . . . it is the weekend now.

Perhaps they were just busy and did not have time to get back to me.

Maybe Monday?
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately we live in different times. The greatest generation is winding down, and we are finding ourselves in a blizzard of aptly named snowflakes. Many, for whatever reason, find it more American to kneel at the flag than to stand for it. I, for one, am saddened and disgusted. The problem is systemic. I fear that we, the children and grandchildren of that greatest generation, will not recognize our country in the next 20 years.

With that said, we have to be smart. We have to step back, void of emotion, so we can better plan and coordinate. There are folks who could care less about full autos, silencers, SBRs, AOWs, or bump-fire type stocks. I get it. I am also fearful of the incrementalism of the LEFT.

I have paid damn good money to the NRA over the years, and will continue to do so, even as a Lifetime member. Honestly, they really are our front line defender of our 2A rights. The statement above doesn't necessarily mean they are turning tail and screaming uncle. I think they are indeed stepping back to try to look intelligently at the situation we find ourselves in. I think they are trying to look at the big picture purposefully.

The NRA still has, and will continue to have my support. WE need more members and Lifetime members. If you haven't joined, PLEASE join. I will even be donating an old beat up car today.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA is just bending to preserve your rights.Just like when Trump is bending to accept Schumer to become Chuck. The question to ask is how strong is The 2nd Amendment with The Supreme Court?

It does not look good with the political wind right now and if The Vegas shooter can not be tied to Islam terrorism well you get the picture reading the majority court statement below.

serf

http://bigthink.com/risk-reason-and-reality/the-supreme-court-ruling-on-the-2nd-amendment-did-not-grant-an-unlimited-right-to-own-guns

On pp. 54 and 55, the majority opinion, written by conservative bastion Justice Antonin Scalia, states: ?Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited??. It is ??not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.?

?Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.?

?We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller (an earlier case) said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those ?in common use at the time?. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ?dangerous and unusual weapons.? ?

The court even recognizes a long-standing judicial precedent ??to consider? prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons.?

There is actually a ray of hope in all this. There?s legal support in the Heller ruling for both sides. More than that, the ruling protects some of the underlying tribal imperatives of both Individualists and Communitarians. That allows each tribe to give some ground but maintain the vital self-identities that truly motivate this conflict. If more people were aware of the details of Heller, the ruling may provide grounds for some compromise in this battle, and undermine the credibility and impact of the people at the extremes (mostly the virulently closed-minded ?take no prisoners? gun rights folks, I have to say) who think their values matter more than playing by America?s basic rules.

On pp. 54 and 55, the majority opinion, written by conservative bastion Justice Antonin Scalia, states: ?Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited??. It is ??not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.?

?Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.?
    edited November -1
    Contrast the NRA response with that from SAF:

JOINT STATEMENT FROM SAF, CCRKBA ON ?BUMP STOCKS?

BELLEVUE, WA ? In response to the senseless attack in Las Vegas, the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms have issued the following statement:

?The Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms support a productive dialogue concerning ?bump stocks,? National Concealed Carry Reciprocity and the proposed Hearing Protection Act.

?We recognize that banning firearms accessories is not a solution to violent crime.?

The contrast couldn't be more stark.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Contrast the NRA response with that from SAF:

JOINT STATEMENT FROM SAF, CCRKBA ON ?BUMP STOCKS?

BELLEVUE, WA ? In response to the senseless attack in Las Vegas, the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms have issued the following statement:

?The Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms support a productive dialogue concerning ?bump stocks,? National Concealed Carry Reciprocity and the proposed Hearing Protection Act.

?We recognize that banning firearms accessories is not a solution to violent crime.?

The contrast couldn't be more stark.

There is no "contrast", you gun-hating baboso; SAF and NRA BOTH SUPPORT A DIALOG ON ACCESSORIES.
    Doesn't mean what you're trying so hard to spin it as.
    If the NRA is "complicit" ; so is GOA/SAF.
    edited November -1

Well . . . it is the weekend now.

Perhaps they were just busy and did not have time to get back to me.

Maybe Monday?

I just thought I should add that I am still waiting for my reply.

Twenty four days - and counting.

[:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You people are way to anxious to condemn the only institution that will stand up for us. This stuff has to pass both houses of congress and trump including the supreme court. Ain't gonna happen folks. SLACK OFF AND THINK SOME.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jerrywh818
    You people are way to anxious to condemn the only institution that will stand up for us. This stuff has to pass both houses of congress and trump including the supreme court. Ain't gonna happen folks. SLACK OFF AND THINK SOME.

A response to three separate emails using their system "has to pass both houses of congress and trump including the supreme court."????!!!!!

I am not looking for a new law.

I am looking for an answer to a simple question - and 26 days to respond to email is not quick! [:(!]
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the NRA pulled out all the stops to try to keep Heller from getting to SCOTUS I gave up on them. Their reasoning was, "We might lose."
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA has a long and convoluted history when it comes to gun control.