In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Calls To Strip Churches of Tax Exempt Status

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Politics
Looks like all is fair in love and war! The Temple and The Palace are going to battle for the minds and hearts of We The People!

serf

http://time.com/3939143/nows-the-time-to-end-tax-exemptions-for-religious-institutions/

We're also subsidizing wealthy organizations sitting in the middle of poor towns. Yale University has an endowment of about $25 billion, yet it pays very little to the city of New Haven, which I (as a resident) can assure you needs the money. At the prep school I attended (current endowment: $175 million), faculty houses, owned by the school, were tax-exempt, on the theory that teachers sometimes had students over for dinner, where they talked about history or literature or swim practice.

Meanwhile, although nonprofits can't endorse political candidates, they can be quite partisan and still thrive on the public dole, in the form of tax exemptions and deductions. Conservatives are footing the bill for taxes that Planned Parenthood, a nonprofit, doesn't pay - while liberals are making up revenue lost from the National Rifle Association. I could go on. In short, the exemption-and-deduction regime has grown into a pointless, incoherent agglomeration of nonsensical loopholes, which can allow rich organizations to horde plentiful assets in the midst of poverty.

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be on board with this.

Haven't claimed a charitable deduction in decades. None of the government's business where my charitable dollars go.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also shouldn't have to support "charities" I don't approve of.
    By giving people a tax deduction for their donations the money they are not paying is undercutting the tax revenue the government should be collecting.
    Far too many of the "charities" are very thinly disguised political entities.