In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

man face down in snow shot twice by police.

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
edited March 2015 in Politics
a female officer shot a man twice laying face down in the snow after being tazed in hummelstown pa. with out the stun gun pictures she may have gotten away with it. moral of the story is please have a weapon so the officer who shots you will not be charged. according to T.S. uncle albert, i don,t hate the police, but that mans familey does.

Comments

• bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    google, police shooting in hummelstown pa. according to T.S uncle albert,one of the i don,t give a crap crowd.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://news.yahoo.com/pa-officer-charged-fatal-shooting-unarmed-motorist-165424205.html

C&P
    A Pennsylvania police officer was charged Tuesday with criminal homicide after investigators concluded she shot an unarmed motorist in the back as he lay facedown after a traffic stop over an expired inspection sticker.

Authorities accused Hummelstown police Officer Lisa J. Mearkle of shooting 59-year-old David Kassick twice on Feb. 2 without legal justification. She was released on $250,000 bail.
    RLTW

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    eastbank,

she was charged with murder.

Is there a different result of her actions you seek???????

Her attorney, Brian Perry, said Mearkle acted in self-defense, and he warned the case could cause police officers to hesitate in high-pressure situations.

"She felt like she had to do what she did," Perry said. "This person was being commanded, begged, 'show me your hands,' and he kept going to his waist."

Authorities said Mearkle had attempted to pull over Kassick for expired inspection and emissions stickers before he sped away. She caught up to Kassick near his sister's home where he had been living for a short time.

He got out and ran before Mearkle incapacitated him with a stun gun, held in her left hand. He was on the ground when she shot him twice in the back with the gun in her right hand, police said.

Mearkle, 36, told investigators she fired because he would not show her his hands and she thought he was reaching into his jacket for a gun. Perry said she did not know Kassick before the shooting.

The offense of criminal homicide encompasses a range of charges, from misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter to felony first-degree murder. Prosecutors often narrow the charge later in the process, about the time when defendants are formally arraigned.

The stun gun contained a camera that recorded audio and video from portions of the encounter, and District Attorney Ed Marsico called it the strongest evidence in the case.

He said it appeared Kassick had been trying to remove the stun-gun probe from his back.

"At the time Officer Mearkle fires both rounds from her pistol, the video clearly depicts Kassick lying on the snow covered lawn with his face toward the ground," according to the arrest affidavit. "Furthermore, at the time the rounds are fired nothing can be seen in either of Kassick's hands, nor does he point or direct anything toward Officer Mearkle."

Marsico said Mearkle waited 4 seconds between the first and second shots, and afterward performed CPR. He called the shooting "a tragedy for all involved."

The district attorney said a syringe was found near Kassick's body, and alcohol and unspecified drugs were found in his system.

Lawyers for Kassick's family and estate issued a statement calling the charges "a substantial step toward closure" after what they described as a horrifying tragedy. They said he had worked as a Teamsters union laborer and struggled with addiction.

"Mr. Kassick is now dead as a result of a traffic stop, a routine traffic stop," said one of the family's attorneys, Christopher Slusser. "He should not be dead. He should not have died as a result of that traffic stop. And the manner in which he was shot - you can infer from that what you will."
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    eastbank,

Convicted of murder - perhaps?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:quote:Originally posted by bpost
    eastbank,

Convicted of murder - perhaps?
    Yes, perhaps she will be convicted, just not today. Life is not a TV show, where a crime is discovered, investigated, and the suspect is identified, questioned, arrested, booked, and convicted, all in the space of 46 minutes.

Let the system work.

OTOH, why in the world don't people simply do as they're told in that situation? This seems to be becoming a trend, not following instructions or obeying commands, given by a police officer who has his gun out and pointed in one's direction. Seems to me that is the best time to do exactly as requested. It is not time to reach into one's pants, or charge the officer, or otherwise behave in a non-compliant manner.

Give ol' eastbank a bit of a break here. It's a topic on which he is very myopic. (I made a rhyme!)
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be prepared to protect yourself against ALL threats.
    One of my friends was stopped(for a burnt out light bulb) and pulling onto the shoulder caused his bag of groceries to upset on the seat. He reached to right the bag and when he turned back, the cop chick had her pistol pointed at his face. I tried to convince him to call her supervisor but friend was afraid he'd get put on the "hit list".
    edited November -1
    nunn,i agree. no sense relying on a officer not to shoot you in the back no matter what. and your damn right i,m myopic. if not for the film from the stun gun she would be believed and it would go away. the job comes with risks,you know it when you take the job and i think she shot to quickly. two shots with four second between them,did she think she missed the first shot? must be the double tap training. so now all the mans relitives will hate the police and maybe down the road an other officer will pay a price for her actions. according to mr. myopic
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    twice in my life I've had a police officer pulled a gun on me. both times the cop thought I might have been a felon committing a crime. of course I wasn't but the circumstances were understandable. The first time I was sitting in my car parked on the street and an armed robbery had just occurred around the corner and a responding officer thought I might possibly be the criminal so he stopped to question me. The second time I went to work at a warehouse and accidentally tripped the burglar alarm going in. The responding officer of course had me covered until he found out who I was. Note that in neither instance was I shot by the police. This is because I did exactly what the cops told me to do at the moment. Both situations were quickly and peaceably resolved. Bottom line is if you don't want to get shot by the police don't argue with the police or fight with the police or disobey commands they give you in a tense situation.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    She looks like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS. People take their lives into their own hands traveling on the roads of America. They're haunted by the Highwaymen in blue, and as it now seems, the highwaywomen in blue too.
    Cops worry me more than any citizen thug ever will. Thank god they're making them wear body cameras now.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd probably be trying to get whatever was stuck burning in my back out also...doubt if he even heard her orders...this is way above and beyond for a frinkin sticker stop...she needs to be FRIED......and sued for everything she will ever have....protect and serve is ancient history ...now we have GROVEL and OBEY
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    She looks like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS. People take their lives into their own hands traveling on the roads of America. They're haunted by the Highwaymen in blue, and as it now seems, the highwaywomen in blue too.
    Cops worry me more than any citizen thug ever will. Thank god they're making them wear body cameras now.

+1000 man you're right on the money with that one
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Comply or die.

Reasons for non compliance? Just a few.

Deafness
    mental illness
    conflicting orders from cops
    involuntary movement while being tazed
    having a seizure
    under influence of drugs or alcohol
    orders which result in pain
    fear of police
    embarrassment
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I've only had the cops dance the red light on mt chest once. You better believe, I did exactly as I was told. The most offensive thing I said to him was a long string of "Yessirs" and Nosirs" I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, for all the right reasons. He didn't know that, though, and I knew he didn't. Long story short, I'm still here.

Dan
    edited November -1
    "I've only had the cops dance the red light on mt chest once. You better believe, I did exactly as I was told. The most offensive thing I said to him was a long string of "Yessirs" and Nosirs" I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, for all the right reasons. He didn't know that, though, and I knew he didn't. Long story short, I'm still here.

So, you "feared for your life"? That's justification for use of whatever level of self defense you have available.
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    nunn,i agree. no sense relying on a officer not to shoot you in the back no matter what. and your damn right i,m myopic. if not for the film from the stun gun she would be believed and it would go away. the job comes with risks,you know it when you take the job and i think she shot to quickly. two shots with four second between them,did she think she missed the first shot? must be the double tap training. so now all the mans relitives will hate the police and maybe down the road an other officer will pay a price for her actions. according to mr. myopic

+1000000
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "I've only had the cops dance the red light on mt chest once. You better believe, I did exactly as I was told. The most offensive thing I said to him was a long string of "Yessirs" and Nosirs" I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, for all the right reasons. He didn't know that, though, and I knew he didn't. Long story short, I'm still here.

So, you "feared for your life"? That's justification for use of whatever level of self defense you have available.

I won't say that I feared for my life, exactly. BUT, I believed then, and I still believe, that in that case, my best line of defense was to comply. If that makes me a wuss, then I guess I am.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

And had he done so, or attempted to do so, dear old Dan would not be with us here today. When the red light is already on you, it's a damn bad time to make a play for a weapon. Complying with the orders you're given will go a long ways towards keeping yourself alive in that situation.
    Don't get me wrong, the officer the OP wrote about was (given what little information I have about it) dead wrong and should not have shot the guy.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    would Nunn agree 1 shot to the back would have sufficed??....Prolly not
    edited November -1
    "I've only had the cops dance the red light on mt chest once."

I'm not saying he should have resisted, I'm saying he was justified in defending himself considering he wasn't doing anything illegal.
    When cops are held PERSONALLY responsible for illegal actions we(the citizens) win.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    a female officer shot a man twice laying face down in the snow after being tazed in hummelstown pa. with out the stun gun pictures she may have gotten away with it. moral of the story is please have a weapon so the officer who shots you will not be charged. according to T.S. uncle albert, i don,t hate the police, but that mans familey does.

I guess it's safe to assume the man was white since there's no looting taking place and Jessie and Al are not spewing their BS?
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hummelstown police Officer Lisa Mearkle walks into District Judge Lowell A. Witmer's office in West Hanover Township Tuesday for her preliminary arraignment in connection with the shooting death of David Kassick during a traffic stop in February.
    Advertisement

HARRISBURG - A Pennsylvania police officer was charged Tuesday with criminal homicide after investigators concluded she shot an unarmed motorist in the back as he lay facedown after a traffic stop over an expired inspection sticker.

Authorities accused Hummelstown police Officer Lisa J. Mearkle of shooting 59-year-old David Kassick twice on Feb. 2 without legal justification. She was released on $250,000 bail.

Her attorney, Brian Perry, said Mearkle acted in self-defense, and he warned the case could cause police officers to hesitate in high-pressure situations.

"She felt like she had to do what she did," Perry said. "This person was being commanded, begged, `show me your hands,' and he kept going to his waist."

Authorities said Mearkle had attempted to pull over Kassick for expired inspection and emissions stickers before he sped away. She caught up to Kassick near his sister's home where he had been living for a short time.

He got out and ran before Mearkle incapacitated him with a stun gun, held in her left hand. He was on the ground when she shot him twice in the back with the gun in her right hand, police said.

Mearkle, 36, told investigators she fired because he would not show her his hands and she thought he was reaching into his jacket for a gun. Perry said she did not know Kassick before the shooting.

The offense of criminal homicide encompasses a range of charges, from misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter to felony first-degree murder. Prosecutors often narrow the charge later in the process, about the time when defendants are formally arraigned.

The stun gun contained a camera that recorded audio and video from portions of the encounter, and District Attorney Ed Marsico called it the strongest evidence in the case.

He said it appeared Kassick had been trying to remove the stun-gun probe from his back.

"At the time Officer Mearkle fires both rounds from her pistol, the video clearly depicts Kassick lying on the snow covered lawn with his face toward the ground," according to the arrest affidavit. "Furthermore, at the time the rounds are fired nothing can be seen in either of Kassick's hands, nor does he point or direct anything toward Officer Mearkle."

Marsico said Mearkle waited 4 seconds between the first and second shots, and afterward performed CPR. He called the shooting "a tragedy for all involved."

The district attorney said a syringe was found near Kassick's body, and alcohol and unspecified drugs were found in his system.

Lawyers for Kassick's family and estate issued a statement calling the charges "a substantial step toward closure" after what they described as a horrifying tragedy. They said he had worked as a Teamsters union laborer and struggled with addiction.

"Mr. Kassick is now dead as a result of a traffic stop, a routine traffic stop," said one of the family's attorneys, Christopher Slusser. "He should not be dead. He should not have died as a result of that traffic stop. And the manner in which he was shot - you can infer from that what you will."

Hummelstown Police Chief Charles M. Dowell did not respond to a message seeking comment, but his department issued a news release that said it had cooperated fully, calling the matter "an extremely difficult case for all involved."

"We are servants of justice and must now allow the judicial process to conduct a fair and impartial review of the allegations that have been presented," the news release stated.

Perry said Mearkle has been on the force for 15 years. She is married to a state trooper and has young children at home, he said. She was expected to be under electronic monitoring.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Hummelstown police Officer Lisa Mearkle walks into District Judge Lowell A. Witmer's office in West Hanover Township Tuesday for her preliminary arraignment in connection with the shooting death of David Kassick during a traffic stop in February.
    Advertisement

HARRISBURG - A Pennsylvania police officer was charged Tuesday with criminal homicide after investigators concluded she shot an unarmed motorist in the back as he lay facedown after a traffic stop over an expired inspection sticker.

"She felt like she had to do what she did," Perry said. "This person was being commanded, begged, `show me your hands,' and he kept going to his waist."

Hummelstown Police Chief Charles M. Dowell did not respond to a message seeking comment, but his department issued a news release that said it had cooperated fully, calling the matter "an extremely difficult case for all involved."

"We are servants of justice and must now allow the judicial process to conduct a fair and impartial review of the allegations that have been presented," the news release stated.

Perry said Mearkle has been on the force for 15 years. She is married to a state trooper and has young children at home, he said. She was expected to be under electronic monitoring.

lets see , she had all ready nailed him with the tazer which was still in her left had , he's on the ground and still moving, hmmmm lets see -- taze him again or just shoot him with the real gun , guess you choose the real gun [;)][xx(]
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    high speed chase over an out of date emmisions sticker??????

The Al Gore crowd would find that to be a justifiable killing.[}:)]

bet he won't drive that death dealing machine anymore.

I feel bad for the working man (if he was) in the draconian car inspection states. its a racket with the mechanics who hold your car hostage for anything and everything.

what do you do on a hand to mouth salery or not much better if you know your car won't pass and you don't have hundreds of dollars to fix it and you still have to get to work?
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A very few are just bad. I've met one or two.

Once in a while a terrible accident occurs (the deaf guy, etc).

The overwhelming vast majority of the time the person getting shot did something to cause an anxiety laced response by police. Maybe the response was an overreaction, but something happened to trigger a violent reaction.

I do not believe nor will I ever believe cops are driving around looking to hurt and kill people. That is utter nonsense. Such thinking is beyond reason.

The haters will go on hating.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    A very few are just bad. I've met one or two.

Once in a while a terrible accident occurs (the deaf guy, etc).

The overwhelming vast majority of the time the person getting shot did something to cause an anxiety laced response by police. Maybe the response was an overreaction, but something happened to trigger a violent reaction.

I do not believe nor will I ever believe cops are driving around looking to hurt and kill people. That is utter nonsense. Such thinking is beyond reason.

The haters will go on hating.

None? ok...I suspect that is why some took the job IMHO
  • capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    This officer may have been completely unprepared psychologically for someone not obeying her every command. Tiny town, 7 full time officers. Last year the town had zero murders, rapes, robberies, or arson. 9 assaults, 8 burglaries, 4 vehicle thefts, for the entire year. So the officers are just driving around, unaccustomed to anything happening that challenges them. She may be a great small town officer, talking to the kids, waving to the townspeople, but unprepared for that incident that suddenly could be dangerous. There are a tremendous number of police departments in the US with under 10 officers and almost non existent crime rates and minimal funding for training. Day in, day out nothing happens. 8 hours of driving around waving hello to people. It must be hard to stay prepared for that sudden event you are not used to dealing with.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is always interesting to see what gets left out when someone wants to 'prove' their point. It was a "routine traffic stop"....except that the guy took off and didn't stop.

He was on the ground....wriggling around trying to get the Tazer out of his *, put there because after he led the police on a chase, he got out of his car and ran.

Could it have looked like he was reaching for something? Sure sounds like it....because he was. And the Wiser-than-Thou crowd wants the cop to see what he was reaching for as the events happen in real time. Want to bet the DA was watching the stun gun video in slow motion?

As to whether some cops sign up so they can hurt people....I suppose some might. Just as some doctors might, dentists....who knows. But any significant number? Nope. Not. A. Chance.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened to training people to use firearms only in cases of life or death-when deadly force is justified?

It seems like now a lot of people are using firearms as compliance tools.

Thank you, officer, for keeping us safe.
    edited November -1
    i don,t think he did any thing that needed a death sentence, if she felt in danger and had to shoot him once ok(did she think she missed?) and then four seconds later she shoots him again while still on his belly on the ground. did she think he was tom knapp? . according to uncle albert,mr. myopic
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why didn't she keep tazing him till he couldn't evacuate his bowels anymore. then shoot him if she still felt threatened?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The questions I want answered are, in no particular order of importance.

(1) what color was the dead guy?
    (2) Where is Al Sharpton, Jessee Jackson, Holder and Obama on this?
    (3) why on earth did he run?
    (4) were there wants and warrants out for him?
    (5) Did he have a weapon?
    (6) was it that "time of the month" for her?
    (7) did she shoot him with a gun lacking a real safety, the Glock?
    (8) was it his car?
    edited November -1
    Regardless of the odds-you have the chance of being the victim each and EVERY time you "interact" with a cop.
    I have a severe hearing loss and have considerable apprehension of the results of some scared spitless fuzzy screaming unintelligible demands at me with all sorts of distractions and noise interfering with what little hearing definition I have left. Combine that with mobility issues that absolutely prevent complying with certain movement demands and I (and thousands of other senior citizens) could become innocent victims at any moment.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a LEO draw on me one time. Decades ago, a buddy & I were camping at Lake Tahoe and rode to Reno to visit the Harrah car museum. I was on the CBX. Going back to Tahoe on I-580 I saw a state car headed north and watched him turn around in my mirror. I knew I was speeding and wondered what this will cost me. Sure enough in no time he is behind me w/ his lights on. I slow, pull over, take my helmet off, and keep my hands on the bars. He tells me to get off the bike and give him my license. As I do that I notice a second car parked 10 yds behind the first. That officer was standing along the right front fender of his car with his gun drawn. I knew I was speeding but not by that much! A third state car now is pulling up. I'm asked where I had been and where I was going. While this is going on another officer walks up and says the problem had been resolved. I asked what was going on and was told that a guy in a red Honda wearing an orange golf shirt (like Jeff) had just shot and killed a card dealer in Reno. They left telling me to have a nice day and to slow down a little. B.T.W., my bud rode right by me on I-580 and was having a beer at the campsite when I rode up!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The footage from the stun gun must be somewhat incriminating.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    she will get 100 hours of community service and retrained to only shoot them in the front side
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    twice in my life I've had a police officer pulled a gun on me. both times the cop thought I might have been a felon committing a crime. of course I wasn't but the circumstances were understandable. The first time I was sitting in my car parked on the street and an armed robbery had just occurred around the corner and a responding officer thought I might possibly be the criminal so he stopped to question me. The second time I went to work at a warehouse and accidentally tripped the burglar alarm going in. The responding officer of course had me covered until he found out who I was. Note that in neither instance was I shot by the police. This is because I did exactly what the cops told me to do at the moment. Both situations were quickly and peaceably resolved. Bottom line is if you don't want to get shot by the police don't argue with the police or fight with the police or disobey commands they give you in a tense situation.

So because that worked for you it will work for anyone? Is that what you are trying to sell Doc?