In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scientist genetically modify human eggs now

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Politics
Of course it's just diseases now but in time it will be intelligence and muscular strength and size. We/they will become the men of renown once again and it has begun. Believe it or not.

serf

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/american-scientists-are-trying-to-genetically-modify-human-eggs-10107632.html

However, the development of a simple gene-editing technique which can alter human DNA with extreme precision has raised the prospect of it being used in the future to help couples affected by inherited diseases who would like children free of the family mutations.

Comments

• Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Anything which can be misused, will be. This is not cynical, it's just a simple observation drawn from life. And where anything presents a potential for political advantage, the chances for misuse are certain. Stalin was screwing around with trying to create a subspecies to be used as soldiers, back in the '30's. The Nazis went the other way, trying to create a highly-refined super-race.

We have no way of knowing how far the technology has progressed, but it is often held that the general populace is about 10 years behind in their knowledge of 'the state of the art' in most fields. Maybe more. And today, even 10 years can represent quantum leaps.

My question is, already, where do apparently consciencless people come from, and how do they always seem to be able to attain high office?

I used to joke that some politicians were test-tube experiments that escaped the lab. Now, I'm not so sure I was joking [:0].
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose if you were the one affected by the hereditary disease problems, this might look like an answer to having healthy children. It would seem there are other proven methods of by-passing the "bad egg" problem such as in-vitro fertilization of donor eggs and/or surrogate pregnancy.
    Keep in mind that there's an entire economy based on scientific experimentation that requires something NEW to justify the $$ spent. Whether the NEW is acceptable or effective is not part of the question-just that it's NEW.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    Anything which can be misused, will be. This is not cynical, it's just a simple observation drawn from life. And where anything presents a potential for political advantage, the chances for misuse are certain. Stalin was screwing around with trying to create a subspecies to be used as soldiers, back in the '30's. The Nazis went the other way, trying to create a highly-refined super-race.

We have no way of knowing how far the technology has progressed, but it is often held that the general populace is about 10 years behind in their knowledge of 'the state of the art' in most fields. Maybe more. And today, even 10 years can represent quantum leaps.

My question is, already, where do apparently consciencless people come from, and how do they always seem to be able to attain high office?

I used to joke that some politicians were test-tube experiments that escaped the lab. Now, I'm not so sure I was joking [:0].
    They aren't humans, they're lizard people from Uranus.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Archons they be, and a right fair number of them there are.....aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh

More like Trans-humanism egg heads not shape shifters lizards. When man plugs in with machines you can come back with your sarcasm and play dumb once again!

serf