In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Johnson can't get it up

Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Politics
September 13, 2016 06:49 AM

DENVER (AP) - Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson is crisscrossing the country in a desperate, last-ditch attempt to boost his national poll numbers and qualify for the presidential debates.

Johnson needs to reach an average of 15 percent in five national polls that the Commission on Presidential Debates relies upon to qualify for the first presidential debate on Sept. 26. But even his campaign manager says reaching that threshold is "unrealistic." Johnson currently is just below 9 percent in the three of those polls with results available so far.

Johnson became a viral sensation last week when he was stumped on national television by a question about the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo. His baffled response - "What is Aleppo?" - ricocheted around the internet.

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both the left and center major media are too wed to the current two-party state to give anywhere close to responsible coverage of a Libertarian Party Presidential candidate. The only coverage they are offered is when gaffes such a Johnson's 'What is Aleppo?' question was made on Morning Joe. While such a question certainly does and should raise concerns about the candidate's seriousness in pursuing the Presidency, these media outlets do not cover the Libertarian Party Platform at all or Johnson's positions on other major subjects to any reasonable degree.

The fact of the matter, and something Johnson addressed later once he informed himself as to the significance of the city, was the tragedy that is Aleppo is a creation of a U.S. backed Islamist 'army' that is using the citizens of that city as human shields against the Assad regime. I personally do not think his ignorance in this matter is a disqualifier, but it does show that he probably is not ready for a debate that includes foreign policy because he has not taken the time to educate himself about the hot button issues of the day, regardless of actual importance.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    that alone would not hurt him with my choice, but he has a few quirky ideas that do seem strange. mr myopic.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he asked "what is a leppo???" ya gotta get the lingo rite...some of that is showing back up in the USA
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    he asked "what is a leppo???" ya gotta get the lingo rite...some of that is showing back up in the USA

While it seems to be true that he did not understand the question, his follow up comments caught on youtube demonstrated that he would not have understood it had he heard 'Aleppo'.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek

While it seems to be true that he did not understand the question, his follow up comments caught on youtube demonstrated that he would not have understood it had he heard 'Aleppo'.
    ....anyone could have made that mistake....Gary ,in my opinion would make a good POTUS...but,he doesn't have the backing , and I want back another loser...my money is in the cash drawer..
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just reviewing some recent polling data and I think an Emerson College 9/13 poll from Texas sums it up.

Clinton 36
    Trump 42
    other 22

now when Johnson and Stein are included:

Clinton 26
    Trump 42
    Johnson 10
    Stein 6
    other 16

Who does Johnson attract?