In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Obama's urchins telling the new BOSS no!

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Politics
The U.S. Energy Department said on Tuesday it will not comply with a request from President-elect Donald Trump's Energy Department transition team for the names of people who have worked on climate change and the professional society memberships of lab workers.

The Energy Department's response could signal a rocky transition for the president-elect's energy team and potential friction between the new leadership and the staffers who remain in place.

The memo sent to the Energy Department on Tuesday and reviewed by Reuters last week contains 74 questions, including a request for a list of all department employees and contractors who attended the annual global climate talks hosted by the United Nations within the last five years.

Energy Department spokesman Eben Burnham-Snyder said Tuesday the department will not comply.

"Our career workforce, including our contractors and employees at our labs, comprise the backbone of (the Energy Department) and the important work our department does to benefit the American people," Burnham-Snyder said.

QUESTION FROM BPOST....Just what the hell has the department of energy done except grow into a monstrosity of useless bureaucracy.

"We are going to respect the professional and scientific integrity and independence of our employees at our labs and across our department," he added. "We will be forthcoming with all publicly available information with the transition team. We will not be providing any individual names to the transition team."

He added that the request "left many in our workforce unsettled."

Andrew Rosenberg, an official at the Union of Concerned Scientists, said the Energy Department "made the right choice in refusing this absurd and dangerous request. Federal agencies need the best available science to respond to the growing risk of climate change."

Reuters reported late Monday that former Texas Governor Rick Perry is expected to be named by Trump to run the Energy Department. The agency employs more than 90,000 people working on nuclear weapons maintenance and research labs, nuclear energy, advanced renewable energy, batteries and climate science.

The memo sought a list of all department employees or contractors who have attended any meetings on the social cost of carbon, a measurement that federal agencies use to weigh the costs and benefits of new energy and environmental regulations. It also asked for all publications written by employees at the department's 17 national laboratories for the past three years.

Trump transition officials declined to comment on the memo.

"This feels like the first draft of an eventual political enemies list," a Department of Energy employee, who asked not to be identified because he feared a reprisal by the Trump transition team, had told Reuters.

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe somebody will find out who is really the boss
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bit of a ham-* notification of intent by the incoming administration.

They could have commissioned a research group to find all of the public writings and comments of DOE employees, and most likely most attendees at the at global climate change symposiums at the U.N.

The intent is obviously not to gain this information, but to put DOE employees on notice that public writings and actions will be used as part of the evaluation for continued employment as the department is scaled back.

90,000+ employees? That is one hell of a lot of people.

It will be interesting to see what percentage are involved in renewables, batteries and climate science vs. nuclear energy and the promotion of clean fossil fuel extraction and implementation.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    i imagine a large % of the employess are in a gravity study...holding down a chair
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my tax dollars paid for these asshats to attend a meeting, conference, or slumber party, I don't give a Flying F' about their feelings, concerns, or desires. If they are asked what they attended and when, they cough up the info...or they get chitcanned.

This garbage has been going on for years. We pay to have these pencil necked geeks screw up our lives. 90,000 employees seems like a nice place to start when one wants to have 30,000.

Have them count off by 3s...and fire the 1s and 2s. [8D]
    edited November -1
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if you have a small pond with 10 frogs and a dozen cato-nine tails and maybe 3 ducks the epa can tell you what to do or not do with it. total bull crap. mr myopic.
    edited November -1
    i suppose these bozos are not worried even if they get forced retirement...bet they all get full benefits, medical, almost full salary until they die ...do not seem afraid of a new boss ????????
    edited November -1
    as a farmer i have been caught up in the nrcs and govt program control games....really is not correctly understood by most outside of agriculture...is was in and out till i retired...and do NOT miss the relus and regs...if i changed my name to gonzales i could take in a lot more money from FREE social services...and mostly no rules...just take it
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "He added that the request left many in our workforce unsettled.]"
    After inauguration day I suspect they will be a lot more unsettled.
    Maybe they could be reassigned to somewhere like Prospect Creek Camp in Alaska for future climate change studies.
    edited November -1
    a spokesman should be the first to go...a useless position to shield useless employees
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    A bit of a ham-* notification of intent by the incoming administration.

They could have commissioned a research group to find all of the public writings and comments of DOE employees, and most likely most attendees at the at global climate change symposiums at the U.N.

The intent is obviously not to gain this information, but to put DOE employees on notice that public writings and actions will be used as part of the evaluation for continued employment as the department is scaled back.

90,000+ employees? That is one hell of a lot of people.

It will be interesting to see what percentage are involved in renewables, batteries and climate science vs. nuclear energy and the promotion of clean fossil fuel extraction and implementation.

Perfect example of how government functions. Form a committee, study the problem, spend millions of dollars and finish up knowing less than when you started. Enough time will have passed to make any findings irrelevant to current situations.

Private industry, ask for the data and you get it, NOW.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to be called "Clip Board" diplomacy....