In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Social Security to hunt & fish

shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
You need to support this bill.
It is time to put a stop to the uses of Social Ssecurity numbers for ID's .
The social security was not intened for uses of ID's.
Sen. Rick Santorum Introduces S. 2249
The Sportsmen's Privacy Protection Act

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

(Fairfax, VA) - This afternoon Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA) introduced legislation to eliminate the requirement in the 1996 Welfare Reform Bill that requires hunters and fishermen to furnish their social security numbers when getting a license.

"Across America, hunting and fishing is an age old heritage that is passed on from one generation to the next. Our outdoor sportsmen should not be required to surrender sensitive information and risk being victims of identity theft to preserve this legacy. This is much needed reform and the NRA would like to thank Senator Santorum for leading this effort in the United States Senate," said Chris W. Cox, NRA's chief lobbyist.

Senator Santorum's bill is a companion to H.R. 4144, introduced in the House by Representative Phil English, also of Pennsylvania. The House version of the bill has been referred to the Ways and Means Committee.

"This proposed law will help save 16 million hunters and another 34 million fishermen who buy fishing licenses every year from falling victim to identity theft," continued Cox. "On behalf of NRA members across the country, I want to thank Senator Rick Santorum for his support of the hunters and fishermen and his work to preserve our country's strong outdoor traditions."

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would anyone worry about this?
    Just because you went to Walmart etc. to get a fishing/hunting license.
    Now they have your name, address, birth-date, AND SS#.
    Where anyone from the pimple faced kids, to the old geezers, and everyone in-between,
    as well as the janitor can thumb through the book.
    [/sarcasm]

P.S. I really do not know what kind of security they have, concerning the "book."
    I have not bought a license since they started requiring your SS#.

Hope this one passes....clean. [;)]
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ill pass.
    Most people have absolutely no problem forking over personal info to the gov.
    The state of Pennsylvnia could tell the feds to stuff it. And if the states do not want to take action, the people can, by refusing to purchase a license. Wouldnt take much in loss of license revunue before the state tells the feds they can no longer comply with the ss requirement.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    At least California doesn't require your SSAN for a fishing or hunting license.
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a rash of ID theft in this country and you can look to your Senators for this. It tuck me years of fighting the use of SS #'s for ID's before I found out that the Senate were the ones that did this to us.
    Hell , I have customers that have there SS# printed on there checks. WOW man the country is full of stupid people.[V][V][V][:(!]

A well armed society is the best form of homeland security.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Most people have absolutely no problem forking over personal info to the gov.

Probably because they already know all of it. Hell, they make up personal info, like the SSN, just so they have even more to keep on us. I can't think of a single piece of personal information that the government doesn't already require me to tell them, or that they could find out very easily.

I wouldn't mind the whole SSN ID racket if they ACTUALLY USED IT FOR ID!!! When every Jose can buy a valid SSN at the corner market, then it shows that it serves no real purpose of identification. They just want as many people paying into the Social Security coffers as possible. It was inevitable that designing a system where everyone is given an ID number would just be used as a method of personal identification. If they seriously want to use it for identification, then the Feds better start cracking down on who has one! But it will never happen because it is not financially beneficial for them.

-Wolf