In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What can be done to help reclaim our lost rights?

Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
There are things that every single one of us can do, and make as much difference as possible. The most important thing is to spread knowledge that is not subjective to opinion. Firearms can definitely fall into that category.

Do you have any friends, neighbors, co-workers, or even classmates that don't know anything about guns? Teach them about them. Invite them to a shooting range, even pester them until they try it out at least once.

Does your gun club or local firing range offer courses in weapons handling? Suggest it to them. You might even be able to get the local police to endorse it as some kind of safety course for gun-owning parents with children or such like that.

Anyone you can expose to firearms, do it. Especially the 'evil looking assault weapons' which have such a mystique among the anti-gunners.

I imagine these kinds of things should sound familliar to a lot of you. They're basically the kind of tactics that the gun grabbers used to build up enough of a base to screw us gun owners completely over in the 90's. I think turnabout is fair game.

The difference is, instead of spreading fear of weapons, this way we do all we can to remove fear of weapons. The only people who support the anti-guns are people who either have an agenda, or people who don't know anything about guns, or both.

People fear what they don't understand, and by helping more people understand weapons, we sap away the power base of the Brady Bunch.

Comments

• nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been doing that for years. I have even converted a few. One guy was a member of PETA and some tree hugg'in club. He now owns several guns, shoots regularly and even likes venison. Go figure !!
    Abort Cuomo
  • Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's excellent.

Although for this purpose, forget about doing a total conversion. Just expose as many as you can to it. Because chances are once they've been exposed enough to guns to understand them, they won't buy the leftist oatmeal anymore. Not becuase they've suddenly become gun nuts, but because guns just don't scare them anymore.

The left didn't have to convert people to kill our gun rights. They just had to get enough ignorant people frightened. We don't have to turn leftists into pro-gunners, we just have to remove their fear.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Fear of guns? Look, INSTEAD of that why not EDUCATE people on exactly WHAT their rights are? I mean really, some people will allways see guns as the thing at fault for crime. Poeple MUST understand what the bill of rights is, its importance to we the people, and how the government (read political snakes) wants to remove what is RIGHTFULLY ours.
  • Mk23Mk23 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's even better, Freemind, but that's much harder to do.

What you're suggesting would bring us supporters.

What I'm suggesting simply takes supporters away from those opposed to us.

Not making us significantly stronger, but making the Brady Bunch and the other liberals significantly weaker.

One more person that becomes 'neutral' rather than siding with them, is one less person that will oppose us. And someone who isn't afraid of /us/ as gun owners, will be much more open to anything else we have to say.

Once the fear is gone, they will LISTEN to what we have to say about otr liberties, rather than dismiss us as madmen like they're brainwashed to do.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    We have legions of gun owners and shooters that have very little interest in or knowlege of the absolute nature of the Second Amendment.
    Mnay right here on gun broker.

These people are a far deadlier threat to Gun Rights then ALL the "Anti-Gunners" combined.

Most of them are swayed by the " If only one child is saved" nonsense..emotional claptrap that cannot stand the light of day. Daylight rarely shines in their world, however...the bright glare is just too much for their soft fuzzy thought proceses.

I want NO MORE GUN OWNERS supporting gun laws. Do NOT 'convert' ANY more enemies to our cause.
    Either teach them what a weapon is for, and WHY the Founders included the Second Amendment...or leave them outside in the cold.
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have any of you seen this? I was not offered the chance to participate in this particular poll. It shows what we're up against. Naturally the Democrats are the single biggest problem but, unfortunately they have help.

The next end-around: Most Americans (57%) said they would not agree with lawmakers putting stricter controls on ammunition to get around Second Amendment concerns about restricting access to firearms, but 35% said they would favor such measures.

Zogby Poll on MSN: Most Don't Believe Stricter Gun Control Policies Will Prevent Mass Shootings:

Two-thirds (69%) believe Virginia Tech shootings were the actions of a deranged man and could not have been prevented.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews2.dbm?ID=1289
  • Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My former American government teacher in HS he is an awesome example of this and i have grown to love and respect this man more so than a lot of other that i know. He teaches hundreds of students each year, and one of the biggest topics for him is the constitution and the bill of rights. He gives examples of how the government has distorted and criminalized these documents, and how it has become corrupt. I was rather surprised to see that he was teaching this, but now that i look at this, i am glad he did. I know what a lot of you are thinking right now, and no he never "crossed the line too far" for a public school, however he could not stress enough that as responsible American citizens that we had to make our own choices, and fight for what we believed. We could not always believe what our politicians, media, and propaganda tried to teach us, but that we need to do research for ourselves and become an active person in society. So to all of you school teachers out there fighting the good fight Thanks!
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need MORE teachers like that.