In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Orleans gun seizure.

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
What has been the fall out, if any, from those actions that were taken after Katrina hit New Orleans?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The city was ordered to return the citizen's arms.
    As of now, it still hasn't been done.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief Edddie Compass resigned(he says forced to resign) over a few things--corruption as well as confiscating firearms from law abiding citizens. His actions caused the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006-which prohibits the confiscation of a firearm if there is no prohibition of that firearm under Federal or State law. There is a condition to the law though-you may have to temprorarily hand over your firearm if you want to be rescued by a mode of transportation other than your own--meaning if you want on a gov't chopper or boat you could be required to give up your gun. Interesting to note that Chief Compass in addition to his officers being able to confiscate lawfully owned guns--had ordered the National Guard to confiscate them as well. Granted there is a law in place to prevent them from going house to house to take your gun now(Public law 109-295 signed by Pres. Bush)but I bet there are quite a few LEO's and soldiers who know nothing about the law and would have no trouble in trying to take your or my gun at the end of a M4 or MP5. Your best bet is rely on yourself if possible because if you have to be evacuated you will not be getting on a chopper or boat or bus with so much as a Marlin .22--concealed handgun maybe[;)]
  • Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Chief Edddie Compass resigned(he says forced to resign) over a few things--corruption as well as confiscating firearms from law abiding citizens. His actions caused the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006-which prohibits the confiscation of a firearm if there is no prohibition of that firearm under Federal or State law. There is a condition to the law though-you may have to temprorarily hand over your firearm if you want to be rescued by a mode of transportation other than your own--meaning if you want on a gov't chopper or boat you could be required to give up your gun. Interesting to note that Chief Compass in addition to his officers being able to confiscate lawfully owned guns--had ordered the National Guard to confiscate them as well. Granted there is a law in place to prevent them from going house to house to take your gun now(Public law 109-295 signed by Pres. Bush)but I bet there are quite a few LEO's and soldiers who know nothing about the law and would have no trouble in trying to take your or my gun at the end of a M4 or MP5. Your best bet is rely on yourself if possible because if you have to be evacuated you will not be getting on a chopper or boat or bus with so much as a Marlin .22--concealed handgun maybe[;)]

I read a recent survey of LEO's in a police magazine regarding gun control. It said that like 72% or something close to that number (I'll have to look it up again) were against a gun confiscation in situation like that when asked. However, its anyones guess who would go along with it if given direct orders from the top and under supervision. Police officers and soldiers rely on firearms as much as, if not more than anyone out there, so they understand why a person would want to keep them. However, obviously many soldiers and officers went along with it in the case of hurricane Katrina. I am strongly against taking peoples firearms in a disaster situation. I cannot be there to defend you when the marauders invade your home looking to rape and pillage. And if you think about it, if there is a break down of emergency services, the only hope of any type of order is the private citizen himself restoring order in his little corner. You get enough citizens acting responsibily with their firearms, people will survive.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is sad to say, but I just belive a LEO or soldiers will follow orders-which in 99.99% of the time they should-but there are times when a given order is just wrong or they are just ignorant of the law. I would bet dollars to donuts that less than 20% of LEO's and regular soldiers have even heard about the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006. There are some videos on the net about how peoples firearms were taken during Katrina--very scary stuff. A lot of us on here(myself included) sometimes get that sense of bravado how "we would give up our guns bullets first" or "from my cold dead hands" but I belive if you are surrounded by 15 soldiers with M4's pointed at you and your family that most would give up our gun without a shot being fired. I just hope it never again comes to that-but in this day and age it sure seems more likely than ever that our leaders will do whatever it takes to disarm us.