In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Maryland Gun Laws?

AlfredJonesAlfredJones Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
I am currently in the process of moving to maryland. I have searched gun laws on the nra website and several others but i'm having trouble interpreting them.

The law says that maryland regulates the possesion of handguns and assault weapons, but then says that if you are not a regulated dealer that you cannot buy, sell, trade, or rent these type of weapons.

If i already posess handguns and assault weapons, bought legally in another state, do i have to file paperwork and register those guns in maryland when i move?

Any info would help, thanks!

Comments

• steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_md.htm this link should help. they keep up with every state and post changes yearly and it's in plain english.

Revolution Indeed
    Welcome to the forum
  • AlfredJonesAlfredJones Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No

Registration of handguns? Yes

Licensing of owners of handguns? No*

Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Purchase

Maryland does not regulate the sale of rifles or shotguns and no permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

Maryland does regulate the sale, transfer, rent and possession of regulated firearms, which consist of handguns and assault weapons. A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without going through a regulated firearms dealer. Alternatively, the prospective seller/transferor and prospective buyer/transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.

I have been to this site, and the NRA site also has the same info. What I wasn't sure about is this, it says under "purchase" that it regulates pistols and assault rifles. I'm assuming that means I must register it if I buy it in the state.

From what I've read, however, although it says that they regulate the possesion of those types of weapons, I don't see anything about having to register them if I do not buy them in the state of Maryland.

I just want to be safe, not sorry, but I don't want to register my weapons if I do not have to. South Carolina has no registration laws and I don't want to get caught with "illegal/non registered" weapons.
  • AlfredJonesAlfredJones Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW, thanks for the help! Glad to be here!
  • steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with your interpratation but I am by NO means an attorney. If you have what you need it shouldn't pose a problem. Some states require, such as in voting, that you maintain a residence for a set amount of time before purchase. Wait, that was hearsay so it could be BS. Good luck with the move. [8D]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    You don't have to be an attorney to interpret... Right to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed..

Simple.

Civil disobedience, unconstitutional laws are no laws, they are illegal.

Move to Montana.