In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

From down under.

FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
>I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
>
>The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not ! and criminals still possess their guns!)
>
>While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.
>
>Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminating this information.
>
>The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's to late!

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The facts are not relevant to the issue.

The elite know all this...very well,in fact.

Gun control means people control..the real aim of every gun law passed since 1930....unarmed folks make great subjects.

'Course,ARMED folks are making good little subjects,here in America..as the Founders groan and spin in their graves...

Thanks for posting the info..will print it out and hand it around,as per usual...
  • Options
    ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is simple really.

The rich can buy private armed guards.

The poor can wait on hold for police help and be victims.

Can be label that "neo-feudalism"? Compare private armed guards to baronial armies and those who have to rely on publicly underfunded police forces as serfs?

Guns ownership is about equal rights for people rich and poor NOT to be a victim.

That's my somewhat nutty .02
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    ozwyn: your .02 cents is not nutty in the least.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • Options
    VatsyayanaVatsyayana Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flathead
    >I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
    >
    >The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not ! and criminals still possess their guns!)
    >
    >While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly.
    >
    >Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the state Assembly disseminating this information.
    >
    >The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's to late!

This is not suprising. Nature works on a predator/prey cycle. If you introduce more prey into the ecology, nature responds with more predators in an attempt to cull the heard and provide balance. The uneducated, so called peace loving people, never learn this most basic of concepts. Instead of promoting peace, they encourage violence by encouraging the natural predators with easier prey.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    good sensible description of reality.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flathead, are you from down under? I've always wondered how the guns were confiscated and how it started. Were all guns registered before this happened? Were certain types of guns banned first? Did people voluntarily turn them in? Did anyone tell them to come and get them barrel first? The few Aussies i've met didn't seem like the type to just say "here sir, please take all my guns away". Can you enlighten me please?
  • Options
    FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry dont know the details. I got it from a guy on a boating board that is from down under. I believe its a cut and paste. Good questions though, I'll contact him and see if I can find out anything.