In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NRA AND GOA COULD DO BETTER

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
Neither the courts nor the politicians will protect the 2nd admendment if public opinoin goes against gun owners. The NRA and GOA focus on lobbing the national politicians and communicating with gun owners. This will not work if we lose public support, including non-gun owners. I would suggest a public advertising campaign or a TV series like "Most Wanted". Show actual cases where an armed citizen made a difference. Also, train at least one person in every media market that can reply on camera or on the radio with good information to every news story about guns. Both the NRA and the GOA do good work. I just think that we have to get the message out more at the local level.

Bamavol

Comments

• longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    I will agree with that......Problem is getting the TV idiots to air them......
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct Longhunter, the TV media will not air them. NRA will have to buy air time like the "info-mercial" people do. This is not a problem with all of the cable channels. It will however cost $$$$. It also cost to make a professional program, but it would be money well spent.

Bamavol
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Bamavol: you have some good ideas. Are you willing to do anything to bring these ideas into reality?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
    edited November -1
    Tr fox, I am semiretired so I have more time than money. So,I would be willing to do what I can. I know that one person cannot get the attention of the NRA, but I would make an effort if others are willing.
    It would be good to do a test case on a small scale to measure the response, but even a one city test would not be a small scale.
    Thanks for the response.

Bamavol
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All we ALL have to do is keep the media informed of when they screw up in stories about guns. For example, last night here in Shreveport, two idiots robbed an Arby's restaurant not THAT far away from my residence. Of course, it was "breaking news" with live broadcast on the local ABC affiliate. The doofus on the scene reporter stated, on air, five or six times during his "updates" that the two robbers were armed with SKS47 assault rifles I was shaking my head when Mrs. Salvage asked me why I was grimacing and shaking my head. I told her. She started shaking her head. This morning I phoned the station and asked to speak to someone other than the receptionist and/or janitor. After holding for a few minutes, I was connected to a producer of one of their news shows. When I asked her to tell what kind of weapons the robbers used, she quickly said that they were the now infamous SKS47 assault rifles. When I told her that no such firearm existed, she was, at first, not listening to what I was saying. I explained that there was a rifle that was known as the SKS and ANOTHER rifle known as the AK-47. After a few more minutes she finally decided that in order to give out the 'proper' news, she needed to know more about the guns. I answered all her questions, then checked their website for the story and found that there was no reference to SKS47 assault rifles.

Here's the really wild part, while the manager of the restaurant could "identify" the weapons, he could not give anything past the fact that they wore masks. Something fishy here?????

Point is, every time the news media broadcasts bogus info, let them know that they screwed up. Be polite, be tactful (hard for me sometimes) and be persistent. Educate them, so that they will not broadcast/print bogus, incorrect information.

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
    edited November -1
    Barmavol: I got what I deserved. I ask a "subtle" question and fail to get all the information I really wanted.

What have you been doing up to now to help with the gun rights war that we are losing?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't this what the JPFO is for? We can't mention candidates informatoin 60 days before the primary. However, we do need to educate the sheeple so they don't oppose us. I do strongly support the GOA. As of today, the emails I sent through the GOA's system have yielded me two responses, and I have only done it a few times. That is incredible response. 2 replies for maybe 5 messages sent.

You'll never get a pro-gun ad on most tv stations (other than Outdoor Life Network... good station by the way...They even aired the machine gun competition).

Can anybody tell me what the JPFO is currently doing to educate the masses?
    edited November -1
    Bamavol,
    I recommend you check out the Gun Owners of America. Unlike the NRA, they are no compromise.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dsmith,
    That reminds me, the machine gun competition should be coming up again pretty soon. Did you see last years episode on TV? I still have not put an "upper" on the "lower" that I received, when I won last years machine gun match. Maybe some day. [B)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Bamavol: I recommend that you and everyone else checkout and join each and every national progun organization you can find. BTW, you WON'T find many. None of the tiny number of such organizations that you will find are "perfect" but in a life or death situation (such as the gunrights war we are losing) you can't be TOO picky in your choice of allies.

To be more specific, you can read the countless criticisms of the NRA that have been posted on this Gunrights forum. And I don't usually talk trash myself about ANY progun rights group because if I do I am spending time that would be better spent HELPING one or two of the progun right groups that I strongly support; plus by trashing an even moderately effective progun rights group I am effectively helping and sideing with such people as Sarah Brady, Charles Schumer, Ted Kennedy, Diane Whinestein, Handgun control Inc., etc.etc.

But this morning I guess I will just violate my own policy. The GOA has been in existance since the early 1970's and has bragged about being "no compromise". But all during that approximately 30+ years apparently the anti-gun groups and politicians have not been effected very much by that bragging statement of "no compromise" because during that 30 years we have suffered hundreds of anti-gun owner laws. The most serious loss was in 1993 when Bill KLinton passed his so-called "assault weapons ban" and in one stroke we lost more gun rights that we had ever lost at one time. So if GOA is "no compromise" I wonder how such a law was allowed to be passed. Could it be that most progun organizations are doing the best they can BUT THEY CAN'T CONTROL EVERYTHING?

And unlike the NRA, the president of GOA, Larry Pratt, placed his son in a high level position within GOA. With all the pro-gun people in the USA it is DOUBTFUL that his son was the most qualified for that position. And I cannot say if his son is drawing a good salary and benefits BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING DISTRIBUTED BY GOA.

BTW, I am a loyal dues-paying member of GOA (as well as other progun rights organizations such as the NRA) and in the name of self-preservation I rarely trash any half-way good pro-gun rights group. I guess this morning I am just getting sick and tired of the whining about how the NRA isn't "perfect". Believe me, the whiners aren't perfect either, just as I'm not perfect.

JMHO

• WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how much it costs for a 30 minute slot on a local TV station? I know there is an hour long local real estate show on in my area every Sunday morning (I think on the NBC affiliate). How much could it possibly cost for 30 minutes of airtime? A couple thousand bucks? The NRA probably spends more than that in postage on one of its silly mailers.

How much could it be to make a 30 second pro-gun TV commercial that airs a few times a day? Maybe $1000 a week? How about a radio commercial? If the furniture store down the street can do it then I think the NRA, GOA, or even a local shooting club could probably foot the bill for this.

The pro-gun movement does not seem to be very media saavy. Sure there are probably stations that would refuse to run this content, but there has to be at least one TV station in every major market that would run pro-gun content.

JMHO,
    WW

"...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
    edited November -1
    Tired of whining and trashing tr?.......And here I thought that we had been dicussing beliefs,opinions and options.......[B)].No one seems to want to listen to what WE believe is a voice of reason.......,So then I ask.........Just WHAT is the Point at all! Geez.....
    edited November -1
    Longhunter: For people like you, highball and pickenup, I have respect and tolerence for your posted views. In the case of Highball he has lost faith in basically ALL the current organized groups trying to hang onto our citizen rights. In the case of you and Pickenup, you have served your tour of duty in the trenches working for the NRA and have earned the right to criticize it. I just am losing patience with other people who are so quick and easy to criticize the efforts of the NRA. They are not criticizing just the leaders of the NRA, they are offending the common members such as myself and the few millions other members who obviosuly have enough faith in the NRA that we pay our dues each year and watch to see that the NRA appears to be doing the best it can.

Wounded Wolf, my belief is that the NRA, by being a national gun rights groups (not a strong local group with a strong, concentrated local presence) is stretched very, very thin and basically runs on pennies. And apparently they feel they have to almost beg for donatations (face it, people are cheap) and apparently those mailings they send out are working or surely they would not be stupid enough to keep doing it.

• mixontourmixontour Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salvage, It is hard for the media to correct themselves when they have the other ear pressed against a Police scanner.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    edited November -1
    To tr fox: I don't know that it matters,but I have given money to the NRA ( dues and extra contributions) and to candidates that support the 2nd admendment. And I vote. Is that OK with you?

To salvage33: You have provided a good example of the kind of action that I had in mind. How much would it cost for the NRA to field a team of media trained volunteers so that every major city would have a savage33?

To dsmith: I do not know much about GOA, but I bet that the non-gun public has never even heard of them. Also, we must be careful, sometimes the "no compromise" attitude makes non-gun people uncomfortable and plays to the idea that we, gun owners, are all a bunch of "dangerous gun nuts". This is not helpful.

To all others: I went to a Friends of the NRA meeting and I heard about hunting and gun safety training, but not one word about gun owners rights. That is when I knew that the NRA had a problem. I am still a member of the NRA. What they do, they do good. I just think that they could get better results if they had a shift in focus.
    I opened this topic to see if any others noticed this problem. Thanks again for your response.

Bamavol
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bamavol
    To tr fox: I don't know that it matters,but I have given money to the NRA ( dues and extra contributions) and to candidates that support the 2nd admendment. And I vote. Is that OK with you?

To all others: I went to a Friends of the NRA meeting and I heard about hunting and gun safety training, but not one word about gun owners rights. That is when I knew that the NRA had a problem.

Bamavol

Yes Bamavol, it DOES matter. There are approximately 64 million gun owners in the USA but only a tiny fraction of those owners do much, or anything, to keep their gun rights. So with these numbers involved, you can safely assume that ANYTIME you see a person (s) talking/writing/posting about guns and gun rights you can bet that most likely they do little in the way of keeping those rights. Apparently you are in the small group that actually does something and I salute you for it and it is definately "O.K." with me.

In regards to the Friends of the NRA meeting and no words being spoken about gun rights, please be advised tht the FNRA is a non-profit "educational" wing of the NRA. This means to keep the FNRA tax exempt status they must be VERY careful in what activites and statements they make/do. They CANNOT support/sponsor/urge any political canadidate or POLITICAL ACTION. And you know the minute you start advocating gun rights you will quickly have to become political in your speech. There is little room to avoid this and it is not worth the risk of a heavy "fine" (lose of tax exempt status and having to pay income tax on their meager income) to try and talk up gun rights.

owever, I thank you for sharing your FNRA activity with us because it shows to some of the doubters here that the FNRA is out there trying to help the existing hunters/shooters as well as trying to enlist more "soldiers" into the pro-gun army.

Doing activity such as just mentioned is much, much better than some here do in that they spend W-A-Y too much time and energy criticizing the NRA without so much as even one kind or positive word about how much good the NRA does.

JMHO

edited November -1
    Originally posted by tr fox
    Longhunter: For people like you, highball and pickenup, I have respect and tolerence for your posted views. In the case of Highball he has lost faith in basically ALL the current organized groups trying to hang onto our citizen rights. In the case of you and Pickenup, you have served your tour of duty in the trenches working for the NRA and have earned the right to criticize it. I just am losing patience with other people who are so quick and easy to criticize the efforts of the NRA. They are not criticizing just the leaders of the NRA, they are offending the common members such as myself and the few millions other members who obviosuly have enough faith in the NRA that we pay our dues each year and watch to see that the NRA appears to be doing the best it can.

Wounded Wolf, my belief is that the NRA, by being a national gun rights groups (not a strong local group with a strong, concentrated local presence) is stretched very, very thin and basically runs on pennies. And apparently they feel they have to almost beg for donatations (face it, people are cheap) and apparently those mailings they send out are working or surely they would not be stupid enough to keep doing it.

[/quote

Point taken my friend.....It does get hard out here doesn't it? Sorry if I offended,Thank you for the respect..You have mine as well! L.H.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bamavol, amen to your comments, especially:

quote:I do not know much about GOA, but I bet that the non-gun public has never even heard of them. Also, we must be careful, sometimes the "no compromise" attitude makes non-gun people uncomfortable and plays to the idea that we, gun owners, are all a bunch of "dangerous gun nuts". This is not helpful.

I think TR and I have tried to emphasize this point at various times, but many folks here seem to have the point of view of not caring what the "non-gun" people think. By "non-gun" I mean people who are not necessarily anti-gun but are just not gun educated, which I believe is a majority of the population.

The way I look at it is a "non-gun" person may not understand my beliefs and I may not feel they are informed about the 2nd Amendment, but we as gun enthusiasts have to be careful how we represent ourselves to these "non-gunners". It is easy to say "screw them", but we are likely to get more of them in a jury box or voting booth than a pro-gunner. When the time comes to protect our gun rights it is our actions that will in part determine how these people vote.

Some folks believe we are past using the system (courts, voting, politicians, etc.) to advance gun rights. However, I am not at the point where I am ready to abandon hope and go to the streets and cause mayhem for this cause. I like to think there is still some hope left for our system.

-WW

"...That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state."

-The Debates in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Virginia, on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. June 27, 1788.
    edited November -1
    On that post I side with Woundedwolf 100%.

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    WoundedWolf Posted - 08/29/2004 : 8:34:03 PM
    quote:
    . quote: I am not at the point where I am ready to abandon hope and go to the streets and cause mayhem for this cause. I like to think there is still some hope left for our system.

Two points;
    1; "Going to the streets" is the surest way to lose this coming implosion that there could be...One would ONLY GO TO THE STREETS AFTER the breakdown...When the government has proved to one and all its mettle..its' contempt of the Constitution..

2; 'Our System' is no longer what you believe it is at all..having no resemblence to Constitutional law at all..merely the fascade of it,to succor the masses...

The third point...( of the two..)[:D]
    Simply that I have never abandoned hope..that viewing the present state of steady erosion of rights and freedoms gives me much hope that the 'leaders' will push even faster towards total control..perhaps even to ordering the 'chip' implanted in the populace...
    edited November -1
    Been thinking of the Non-gun public on this one for a while ,and it seems as I talk to Non-gun Joe public that their Veiw of the NRA is unsavory at the least.I understand that it is the Anti folks that have made it this way for the most part but still.....Reality is Reality......So just HOW is it that the NRA is so effective with the non-gun public?
    By being a kinder,gentler NRA ? Um...would that be like the kinder gentler IRS?
    True the NRA does do well in education,of gun owners,and those that would own guns.....New hunters etc....This does not it seems educate Joe non gun owner.....Someone enlighten me..
    The GOA will be as effective as you our I,US make it.....I had hoped that the NRA would be as well...that HAS NOT been my experiance this last 30+ years. I am not trashing,I am being a realist...
    edited November -1
    I agree. GOA is the best choice we have.
    edited November -1
    Everyone should just go with their "best choice" or as many "choices" as they can afford to fund and hope the other pro-gun organizations (there are far too few) will do the best they can. It is s-o-o wrong to wish harm to come to ANY organization that is even HALF-WAY trying to help us.

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK fox, I took a few days to "cool down" after reading your post. But I can not let this go unsaid.
    When a person tries to enlighten the uneducated about the activities of the NRA, and then gets accused of, "helping and sideing with such people as Sarah Brady, Charles Schumer, Ted Kennedy, Diane Whinestein, Handgun control Inc., etc.etc." Well, that just plain pisses me off. (I cooled off) I am not so easily appeased by being "tolerated."

Putting your faith in, and BLINDLY following ANY organization without knowing what they are doing, is what the "controlling people" want the sheeple to do. I do NOT advocate getting rid of the NRA. Change is the goal we should be shooting for. Writing letters to them, call them (I have/do) let them know your opinion, that "compromise" should not be STANDARD for any newly proposed gun laws. We should be fighting to RESCIND the unconstitutional laws that are already on the books, NOT endorsing them.

If the GOA (and others) had the membership numbers that the NRA did, a few years ago, we MIGHT not have "some" of the UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws that have been passed in recent years. Comparatively speaking, membership numbers are small, in ALL of the gun advocate groups. If all of the gun owners in the U.S. would join any one (or all) of the pro-gun groups, I think we would be an "unbeatable" force.

While I agree with you that we need EVERY progun group we can get. To pay your yearly dues, to ANY of the pro-gun organizations, without keeping up on their activities and actions, is just plain wrong. A watchful eye must be kept on ALL of them. Unquestioning loyalty, is almost as bad as not joining at all. I WILL continue to question them, and when I see them do something that I consider to be wrong, I will call them on it. Join every pro-gun group you can afford. If funds are tight, pick one, ANY one. We need all the help we can get.

P.S. A law was passed recently in this state, that no municipality may make a gun law more strict than state law. We are fighting a battle against Denver (who, because they are a "home rule" city) wants to make gun laws that are more strict than the State gun laws. One of the gun clubs where I shoot donated $25,000 to the legal fund, to help fight this. The NRA MATCHED that $25.000. I have not heard of ANY other pro-gun group that has donated any funds to help. (now you can not say that I never said anything nice about the NRA)

P.P.S. Please provide the link to the NRA's financial statement. I have not been able to find it.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Pickenup: just read you above post. I appreciate you taking some time to cool down and still probably not posting as strong as language as you felt. I do not want any hostility between people like you, Highball, Longhunter and many, many others. However, after re-reading the post I THINK you are referring to it doesn't seem that inflammatory. It is already known that, for example, you and I disagree about the NRA. And over several months and numerous anti-NRA postings by several members here, I have read at least a few postings by other members that indicate they have now lost faith, or are LOSING faith, in the NRA becasue of the negitive postings they have read here. HOW DOES CAUSING THE LOSS OF EXISTING NRA MEMBERS help anyone of us?

As you know, I advocate joining (I'm a dues paying member) the GOA AS WELL AS as many other of the few national pro-gun groups as you can afford to join. So, it pays to help ALL pro-gun organizations, but it CAN HURT us to damage some of those organizations; at least in my opinion. Therefore, I don't agree with all the on-going criticism of the NRA. The criticism doesn't HELP the GOA, and can only harm the NRA. So why bother?

And even though you were offended by my post (you are unhappy with my word "tolerate" but what about the other word "respect") regarding you and others, but what about the respect and toleration that I see lacking when as a loyal and dues paying member of the NRA I seem extensive criticism of the NRA and to me I see no good coming from this. What good DOES come for all this criticism?

I do not have a link to the financial records of the NRA.

edited November -1
    Why point out the failings of the NRA ?

People need to understand that some day it is going to come down to one man..and one rifle.

All the fuss and feathers kicked up only DELAYS the inevitable..and spends precious resources in fruitless endeavors..pleading with Congress to OBEY THE CONSTITUTION...for the Lord's SAKE !!!

There are a mulitude of reasons to point out the failings of the NRA....but one big one..I can almost respect those in my face,telling me they despise Motherhood,Apple Pie,and gun ownership....I have absolutely no respect at all for those selling my rights down the river while proclaiming..." You wouldn't have guns at all if it were'nt for us.."
    That,my friend is a load of crap.
    edited November -1
    In all my years of being an NRA member I have never read or heard any NRA leader even hinting that if it weren't for the NRA we wouldn't have any guns at all.

But I may have said or implied it, and to a degree I still do. The NRA has been in operation for over 100 years. During that time there have always been people and politicians wanting to remove guns from civilian society. But it hasn't happened yet. So ask yourself who/what has been working against the pressure to remove guns from citizens hands. Surely the NRA deserves SOME credit as the GOA, for just one example, DIDN'T EVEN EXIST UNTIL THE EARLY 1970's.

edited November -1
    Now,Tr;...Nearly every mailing,and often in the editorals..is the dark hints...send money..or all is lost..your guns are gone.I just cannot wade thru the touchy-feely editorals right now to dig out the info for you..

I believe simply that we have the guns we have..fettered with 22,000 gun laws..because the NRA tells the politicians that there will be a revolution if they ban them all at once.

The above I cannot prove..the actually words whispered into ears..

I can and have proved that the NRA for many years has worked hand in glove with the government to force down the throats of gun-owners one gun law after another..always more then we want to give..never enough to 'go to the streets' over....this smacks of inside information..because the politicians are so out of touch with the common man..they don't have a clue.

I futher believe that postponing the inevitable is highly injurious to freedom..that 1968 ought to have been a deadline.The NRA ought to have taken a stand..and if we lost..then so be it.We all could have stopped pretending that we live in freedom.

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
    edited November -1
    fox my friend...........I wouls agree that damaging an organization that is helping would not be good.....However opening the eyes of the blind faith following is bad?
    As many,many NRA supporters have said right here,the changes should/could come from within its membership.....So then if these members are now seeing that it is all not what its purported to be perhaps SOMEONE will start sometghing from within to help the changes happen,and find that they have some members behind them.
    The NRA is a political organization ,and as such should listen to the people that put them in the "powerful"position that they are in.
    The days for blind faith following are gone,we must educate ALL,and those amoung our own rank and file (gunowners) need to be first so we may ALL eduvate the non- gun owners.....or its over for ALL of us.....Period.Just my views my friend,and an attempt to explain them.
    edited November -1
    fair enough LH[:D]

edited November -1
    Thanks, Longhunter..that is something I should have been saying all along,instead of agitating all the time...[:D]