In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For those waving pom poms about the AWB sunset

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Why all the cheering?? Is anything that congress has been proposing with respect to an AWB "renewal"-is it really a renewal? Or is it just creating new legislation to "replace" the expiring legislation. There is no hard and fast requirement that any type of expansion of the AWB has to be done before the present law expires. So these AWB countdowns, are really bogus. So it expires on Monday-that doesnt mean that on tuesday congress CAN NOT vote on a new AWB-or for that matter, there is nothing that would prevent them from voting the day after election day-which is what REALLY should concern us. Much easier for congress to pass the law, and GW SIGN THE LAW, after an election, as opposed to before an election.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo, agreed.

Down the road, we may find that to "renew" the existing ban, would have been the lesser of two evils. While the sunset will allow a "window" for some "cosmetic" accessories to be added to "post-ban" rifles, shotguns, and such. Who is to say that the next attempt at banning "assault rifles" will be as ineffective as the one that is being allowed to sunset. It could very easily go beyond banning "cosmetic" features, into something more substantial, up to banning the rifle themselves. The "grand-fathering" of the last ban, could turn out be a thing of the past. A full blown ban could come this time. Whatever they propose, it is almost certain to be "PERMANENT" this time around.

They are almost certainly waiting to see the results of the coming election. While they probably had enough votes in the Senate to pass another ban, the House was always questionable as to what they would allow to be passed. Will the control change in their favor, or ours, with the results of the election? That is what we all should be watching.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Were I be forced to guess..I think the fix is in.

They could hardly come back with a harsh law at this time...Bush would become ex-president Bush.

So just let this one expire...and next spring...guess what ?

I will be perfectly content to eat humble pie..on the oft chance it does't happen this way...
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I have some hope about the matter. I truly believe because of the efforts of a lot of good gun people, many in congress, some of the media and some of the public now know that the ban was nothing more than a bogus piece of "feel good" legislation. Until and if congress becomes overwhelmingly Democratic, I don't think there will be much effective push for another AWB. Besides, we gun people got lazy and let the 1993 ban kinda sneak up on us. We will be ready next time.

And any new AWB offered would almost surely be an extreme measure that would actually (as some have already said) make us gun people wish we had the old AWB back instead of the new one being offered. However, that fact, that a new AWB being offered would be so strict it would goad millions of gun owners into action to fight the ban. Plus because a new ban would be so extreme, I feel it would lose the support of most of the middle of the road congress people.

JMHO.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Last reports had 14 repubs supporting awbs...and one thing NRA and anti-gunners agreed on...the ban was ineffectual because it didn't go far enough....the NRA didn't specifically say that..but offered no effective rebutal to that statement...
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this is well and good..but the media..especially those outlets on television (CBS,NBC,ABC,CNN,FoxNews,CNBC) have all had practically non-stop stories about the ending of the AWB, and how al-Qaeda operatives are drooling about being able to buy "assault weapons"on Sept. 14th.

What a lot of hooey and a waste of air time. They either don't know what they are talking about or they do, and are lying through their collective pearly whites in order to scare the uninformed masses into a state of hysteria to besiege their so called representatives into passing new and even more restrictive legislation that will affect ONLY LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.

For all the hot air that is expended and views espoused from media talking heads and liberal politicians, none of them seem able to understand that laws of this sort are not obeyed by criminals. Hence, when someone commits a crime with a gun, we need judges who will mete out justice, such as handing down sentences that maximize their incarceration and minimize the risk to the rest of society.

just my opinion

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figure if it happens again, more people may be ready to do it anyway.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Remember how many seats were lost after AWB passage? Vae victis!
    Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sunset does give us an Opportunity to take Advantage of buying Guns that we know will be Banned in the Near Future.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    awcountdown_sm.gifhttp://www.awbansunset.com/
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    I believe we might all be absolutely astonished how many disobeyed the law and did it anyway.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the law originally passed, it largely meant nothing to me as I had no guns that were affected by it, nor did I understand what its implications were. That changed, but the ban itself shows exactly what we are up against.

1. Legislators who know nothing about the Second Amendment
    2. Legislators who know even less about firearms
    3. Legislators who have too much time on their hands
    4. Legislators who need to become permanently reacquainted with life away from official duties as soon as their current term is over.

That the law was largely cosmetic still did not prevent it from costing gun owners, gun manufacturers, and both LE and military personnel more than a little grief should be noted. And some places made aspects of the ban permanent parts of state and local ordinances.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    mballai,

I think you're wrong. What we are up against are this:

1. Legislators who know MORE about the Second Amendment than we think.
    2. Legislators who are scared to death about firearms in the hands of the people (once we figure out what all they have done).
    3. Legislators who have their hands in too many things.
    4. Legislators who need to become permanently reacquainted with life away from the rest of society (possibly in Hell).

That's why they attack us under the cover of crime control.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunphreak,

Well actually

1. Legislators can't even read the Second Amendment with grade school level of comprehension.
    2. Legislators aren't scared of guns we might have. They have armed bodyguards we pay for.
    3. Legislators should have their hands busy--that's what they are paid for. If they are in the wrong things they should be awaiting prosthetic device replacements while in the Graybar Hotel.
    4. Legislators have already made our society Hell. Let them get a taste of their own work.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    I'm not here to rebuke you or show you I know more (because I'm not so sure if that would be the truth or not, and besides, who cares who knows more if we're on the same side, right?). My point of perspective is just a bit different than yours.

1. I think legislators are fully well aware of the 2nd Amendment and what it is for, because if they didn't, they wouldn't care. Their actions are proving otherwise. If they are not aware, then I guess you are absolutely right, but to me that doesn't spell out why they are so insistent on it.

2. The Bodyguards they pay for are still outnumbered and outgunned, and they know it. This contributes to why they are insistent and consistent on being in the position to restrict our rights.

3. Their hands are not busy with things they should be busy with, but fully active in acts of treason against the American people, and therein lies the problem. Otherwise, I fully agree with you about the prosthetics.

4. It could be worse (and will be) We haven't had a rash of Ruby Ridges or Waco, Texas' events, but should it happen, we will be in the midst of Hell. The story is not through, yet.

Death to Tyrants!!!