In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Department of Justice wonderful opinion...

DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
Happy Holidays!
The Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice just made public
a memorandum it sent to the Attorney General last August concluding that the
Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms. It can
be found at: http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
It announces a finding that the Second Amendment secures an individual
right to keep and bear arms. This is extremely important, as the OLC opinions
are highly influential in courts and in the executive branch. The conclusion
is set forth below, but I encourage you to download and read the entire opinion.
Happy Holidays! Celebrate Freedom!

Defender
Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.

Comments

• WHITEWOLFDAKOTAWHITEWOLFDAKOTA Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is really a great stride for All gun owners. I posted this on my off road forums and it got a great response! Individual rights touches EVERYONE!

WHITEWOLFDAKOTA
    WATCH YOUR TOPKNOT!
    lIFE IS GOOD IN LOW RANGE!
  • savage303savage303 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Defender,

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of this important development until now. It was a common argument made by the Anti-gun crowd that the 2nd Amendment does not guarantees the individual right to bear arms. Why was this never given much publicity? I am member of the NRA and I get all the articles, magazines but never new about this. So what does this mean in the Law books? Can people use this in court to further support thier rights? Can others who are familiar with the law shed some light on this please.

- dk

quote:Originally posted by Defender
    Happy Holidays!
    The Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice just made public
    a memorandum it sent to the Attorney General last August concluding that the
    Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms. It can
    be found at: http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    It announces a finding that the Second Amendment secures an individual
    right to keep and bear arms. This is extremely important, as the OLC opinions
    are highly influential in courts and in the executive branch. The conclusion
    is set forth below, but I encourage you to download and read the entire opinion.
    Happy Holidays! Celebrate Freedom!

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.