In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Legal Alien Gun Owners

magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
Would you support legislation that would make it illegal for LEGAL resident aliens to own firearms ?

Should the 2nd amendment only apply to US citizens ?

mag
ENA
Enforcement Not Amnesty

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The entire Constitution only applies to US citizens.

Perhaps we could do a complete background check on legal aliens...and licensing for them ? After all...it might be Constitutional to do so..where it is NOT Constitutional to do so to citizens.
  • D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's right! The constitution is only for citizens!
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What they said. [8D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A LEGAL alien?

Sorry guys, but if they came to live in this country and went all the proper steps to be a resident immigrant (and let's face it, most of those who come to this country as a legal alien are seeking citizenship, anyway), I have no problem with that.

And I would never have any problem with any law abiding person living anywhere to have all the rights that are inherent to all human beings.

Illegal immigrants are law breakers and I have 100% opposition to them possessing firearms (even though I'm certain some do), and I think they should be the ones in the prisons (hard labor ones, of course), not most of those who are in them now.

The only people I have opposition to being denied firearms are those who violate malum in se laws (the ones that are wrong in and of themselves), malum prohibitum laws (the ones that are wrong because they are forbidden by some piece of $#!t politician of some law written to "keep the people in their place".

That's where I stand.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    gunphreak, sorry. Hope this clarifies my view.

If an alien comes to the USA, by LEGAL means, and goes through the process, they are "at that point" a US citizen. Thereby qualifying them to receive any and all benefits associated with their citizenship. Isn't that, after all, how the United States of America was formed?

My son's girlfriend is originally from Russia. She has recently acquired her US citizenship. I would be proud to welcome her into our family.

On second reading, I can see how the answers above could be taken another way. I admit that I only scanned the answers, was in a hurry, and gave a quick reply. Sorry for any confusion.

So mag, to answer the first part of your question, NO, I would not support any such legislation. To answer the second part, YES the US Constitution applies to US citizens ONLY. Not that something similar can not be used for other parts of the world.

Now, as to ILLEGAL aliens. [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Perhaps I am ignorant of just what "legal resident alien" is.

Becoming a citizen means you are now entitled to all the benefits thereof....

Foreign citizens still need to be looked at....
    edited November -1
    Highball, you got me. [:D]
    I must be so broke that I can't pay attention.
    I am stuck on them being a citizen "already."

Will amend answer here (no editing of above) [;)]
    YES, I would support that legislation.

Until they are a legal "US CITIZEN" they have no Constitutional rights here.

• mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To all those folks that think the Constitution applies to U.S. citizens only, you are INCORRECT.

US "persons" included resident aliens (green card holders) are entitled to Constitutional protections. That's not an opinion; it's a fact.

As far as my own personal beliefs, I have no problem with existing law and see no need to narrow the Constitution's protections to just citizens.
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hold on folks! Who made up the baloney that the Bill of Rights only protects citizens or lawful residents???

There is loads of case law that say that anyone in our country other than enemy combatants have rights against unlawful search, seizure, the right against self-incrimination and to receive due process under the Fifth Amendment. Free speech is a given and the right to keep and bear arms was cut from the same cloth, right?

I don't think we can say without a Constitutional Amendment that these people have some rights and not others if they are within our borders. Every illegal alien we arrest has a right to due process in an immigration court.

Be careful of support for taking any person's Constitutional rights away since there will be nobody to protect yours.

We need to seal off our borders and expel all people that are not lawfully in the United States. If they are here they must enjoy our rights. Freedom is contagious. We need to establish some in America for a change!

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.
  • westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait a sec what is a legal alein. is it some one who can live here but isnt a citizen

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
    edited November -1
    mpolans,
    Thanks. Because of this thread, I have done some research, and find that you are correct. I was under the MISTAKEN impression that the constitution protected ONLY the "citizens" of this country. I'll be darned.

One of the reasons that I LIKE these forums. I have learned so much here. And hopefully, will continue to do so.

Defender, I am still learning. [;)]

westlund_125...Yes.

Off subject a bit I know, but....
    Seems that ILLEGAL aliens have more rights than citizens do, at times.

They can drive the roads with NO drivers license, NO insurance, NO registration, with impunity. (Ask the State Patrol)

They can get medical that I can't. (Ask the hospitals in California that can't afford to stay open any longer)

They can work without paying taxes. (of course the employer is part of the blame here)
    The list goes on.

• DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe any Federal, state or local law that prevents an alien from bearing arms violates our Constitution. The Supreme court has consistantly refused to review those cases.

The whole immigration mess is destroying our country as our Bolshevik politicians obstruct law enforcement in that area.

There's no hope or help in sight.

Defender
    Private investigator licensed in AZ & CA that specializes in self defense cases.