In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NICS Check

tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I can't seem to find this on the FBI site.
How long is a NICS check good. ie. If I buy a gun today and the NICS comes back "Proceed", will I need another NICS check next week if I buy another gun?

Comments

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Every purchase will require one
  • jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep every time you fill out the "yellow", now it's white, sheet the do the check. also be careful of the "multiple handgun purchase" the deals HAS to fill out if you buy more than one handgun every 7 days. I know my gun shop had the ATF come in and write down every name on individuals buying more than a few guns a YEAR. I was very close to the top of the list unfortunately. IT'S CRIMINAL!!!! BE CAREFUL[xx(]
  • tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you saying that there is a limit to the number of guns I can buy a year?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tombiasi.
    What jaflowers is talking about is, if you buy more than one handgun in a seven day period, the dealer is "required" to fill out a form and send it into the BATF, telling them about it. Part of the rules of being an FFL. What they do with this info, is anyone's guess.

There are some places in this country that limit you to one gun a month, or so. Not sure where those places are right now, without looking it up.
    edited November -1
    What jaflowers said is. "IT'S CRIMINAL!!!! BE CAREFUL".
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have come up with A pin number you can put on the white forms that will get you through quicker.
    edited November -1
    Tell me more about the PIN number.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No pin number. A NICS check is needed with every 4473. You can put more that I gun on each 4473.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tombiasi
    Tell me more about the PIN number.

The UPIN is a unique personal identification number that can be issued by the FBI to persons who are frequently delayed or denied by the NICS. See page 8 of the linked BATF newsletter for information on the system.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/0205fflnewsletter.pdf)
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tombiasi
    I can't seem to find this on the FBI site.
    How long is a NICS check good. ie. If I buy a gun today and the NICS comes back "Proceed", will I need another NICS check next week if I buy another gun?

At first the The new NIC's check system was a problem. Under Clinton .
    Now it is very smooth but they are using the NIC's check to get info on gun sales.
    After a while they asked the FFL how many guns they sold .
    Then how many they bought.
    Then how many they sold and how many they had in inventory .
    We don't fell little bites but it just takes longer to be eaten.
    This is so they can tell if a large number of the
    form 4473 have more than one gun per sale.
    By checking the numbers of gun in inventory with the numbers sold to the number of NIC's checks an FFL calls in , they can tell if to many of us are buying to many guns. If the number of NIC's is say 100 and the number of guns sold is say 600 this is a red flag and will get the FFL and inspection for sure.
    As for more than one handgun within a 7 days, don't . A form 3310.4 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers ) must be filled out and one copy goes to the ATF national tracing center and one copy to the state or local LE agency and one copy for the FFL's files.
    WAIT THE 8 DAYS SO THIS DON'T HAPPEN.
    It's for your own well being and won't stir the pot.
    You are very na?ve if you think that the wolves are no eating you up one bite at a time. [8D][8D][8D][8D]

A well armed society is the best form of homeland security.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.