In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Out of state handgun purchase

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what states do not require residency to handgun purchses? I am in NJ that does require residency as does PA next door. I understand VA doesn't. I have been looking through laws
and haven't been able to figure out who does and doesn't.

While traveling it, if you saw a great revolver, it would be nice to be able to pick it up and avoid the transfer time, cost etc.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• kevin redrickkevin redrick Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sir i suggest you be very careful, when purchasing any handgun, out of the state, in which you reside.
    please read, the 2 post by kevin redrick, in los angeles.
    after owning his legally registered 30 piece firearms collection, for over 18 years,the local corrupt police chief seized his firearms collection,and filed false criminal charges against him.
    mr redrick spent 34 days in la,s deplorable jail system, and continues to fight a never ending uphill legal battle, to retain his firearms, and have the false criminal charges dismissed.
    the los angeles police department,
    claim mr redrick, never registered his assult weapons, with the california department of justice.
    mr redrick in fact purchased, all 30 of his firearms, handguns, assult weapons,from licensed gun dealers before california, enacted its ban on assult weapons law date, jan 1 2000.
    why would you want to take such a chance?
    one mishap, could result in the lost, of your entire gun collection.
    please dont give the law enforcement officials, any reason to seize , your firearms.
    take care kevin redrick
  • shootstrightshootstright Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handguns must be purchsed in the state you live in
    Fedral law.
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kevin redrick
    sir i suggest you be very careful, when purchasing any handgun, out of the state, in which you reside.
    please read, the 2 post by kevin redrick, in los angeles.one mishap, could result in the lost, of your entire gun collection.
    please dont give the law enforcement officials, any reason to seize , your firearms.
    take care kevin redrick

Sir, I have read about your terrible plight and take your words to heart. My interest is academic in that I deal with the burden of NJ laws and am astounded by how much easier the gun laws are in states away from the east or west coast. Take care of yourself.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootstright
    Fedral law.
    Not quite right. You can agree to purchase and pay for a handgun from another state and have it shipped to an FFL holder in your state. At that point you (having already paid for the gun) deal with your FFL holder and "buy" the handgun from him for the tiny fee of whatever he charges for the transfer (Usually $15-25.00)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Fedral law.
    Not quite right. You can agree to purchase and pay for a handgun from another state and have it shipped to an FFL holder in your state. At that point you (having already paid for the gun)

And thank goodness for that, otherwise Gun Broker wouldn't exist. I had heard from a friend that a used gun could be bought in some other states from dealers with a NICS check and ID. It didn't seem likely and based on some of the horror stories we have heard, why even chance it. You can always, as TR Fox says, buy it and have it shipped to a FFL in your own state and pay the transfer fee....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    Fedral law.
    Not quite right. You can agree to purchase and pay for a handgun from another state and have it shipped to an FFL holder in your state. At that point you (having already paid for the gun)

And thank goodness for that, otherwise Gun Broker wouldn't exist. I had heard from a friend that a used gun could be bought in some other states from dealers with a NICS check and ID. It didn't seem likely and based on some of the horror stories we have heard, why even chance it. You can always, as TR Fox says, buy it and have it shipped to a FFL in your own state and pay the transfer fee....

Yes guys we all know that is true.
    The bottom line is the deal has to be with an FFL
    in your state. You will still have to go by the laws in
    your state and fill forms or permits that are
    required if you live in one of the commie states. [8D]
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here we can buy any guns from an ffl in any of the surronding states. Anyone can buy or sell A long gun, resident or not. Handguns though if your not A resident must be sold through an ffl.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    Fedral law.

Yes guys we all know that is true.
    The bottom line is the deal has to be with an FFL
    in your state. The exception is a personal
    sale. You will still have to go by the laws in
    your state and fill forms or permits that are
    required if you live in one of the commie states.
    If you live in a state that has no paper work and you
    buy it from a person you know in another state in person
    and hand carry it home that's OK. [8D]

I believe you are giving out bad and dangerous information. I am not going to take the time to research this for you but I am sure that unfortuntely it is federal law (so forget about that "ok if your state doesn't prohibit it, etc") that you cannot go into another state and purchase a handgun from a private citizen or even an FFL and bring it home with you back to your home state. The handgun being sold in another state has to be handled by an FFL in that state and that FFL must ship the handgun to an FFL in your state and you complete the transaction with the FFL in your state. And I strongly believe that federal law (once again forget about what you think your state allows) requires you to purchase even a longgun from an FFL in that state if you are buying in a state other than your own. But you can make that longgun purchase in that other state(from an FFL, nt a private citizen) and bring it home with you.

Now if my information is wrong, but is followed by anyone here, they will still not get into trouble. But if your advice is wrong, and followed by anyone here, they could end up in prison.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is what the BATF has to say about it.

quote:B. UNLICENSED PERSONS

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own state?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]
    edited November -1
    Once again Pickenup, thanks for being the gate keeper.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Here is what the BATF has to say about it.

quote:B. UNLICENSED PERSONS

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own state?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Thankyou for getting to the heart of the matter and answering my original question.
    edited November -1
    pickenup
    Thanks for keeping me straight .
    Now that I think about it I did read
    that a year or so ago in the reg's. I
    should have looked it up first.
    The bottom line is when in doubt use
    your FFL. [8D]

PS: I fixed the post.