In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lots of Issues for "them" to vote on

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
House Republicans intend to hold votes this summer and fall touching on abortion, guns, religion and other priority issues for social conservatives, part of an attempt to improve the party's prospects in the midterm elections.

The"American Values Agenda"also includes a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage _ which already has failed in the Senate _ a prohibition on human cloning and possibly votes on several popular tax cuts.

"Radical courts have attempted to gut our religious freedom and redefine the value system on which America was built. We hope to restore some of those basic values through passing this legislative agenda and renewing our country's commitment to faith, freedom and life,"Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said Tuesday.

The priorities are part of competing attempts by the two parties to appeal to target voters in the fall campaign, with control of the House and Senate at stake. It's unclear how many of these bills might clear Congress and reach President Bush's desk, given the controversy many will cause and the relatively short time remaining before the two-year Congress ends.

The rest of the story here.....
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Jun27/0,4670,ConservativeAgenda,00.html

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Throw us a bone..the do-nothings up there are trying to get re-elected...

quote:Two measures relate to the rights of gun owners. One would prohibit the confiscation of legal firearms during national emergencies, barring practices such as the one that officials said arose in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit.

The measure is backed by the National Rifle Association, which has hailed the recent passage of a state law in Louisiana."The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina became the proving ground for what American gun owners have always feared: the day that government bureaucrats throw the Bill of Rights in the trash and declare freedom to be whatever they say it is,"Wayne LaPierre, NRA executive vice president, said in a statement posted on the organization's Web site.
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do find it interesting that they mention Hastert, who the GOA gives a C-. If he was a Demokrat leader, he'd get an F-, but there are very few A rated Republikans. Seems like we get extreme antis from the Dems, and moderates from the Repubs.

As Highball said, just more propoganda to try and get votes.
  • NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Want to change things?.
    Simple, don't re-elect, it dosn't matter who you vote for, that's pretty much true anyway, but never vote for the incumbent.
    Think what would happen if every elected official who has been in office forever, now had to live and work in the real World and had to watch the little empires they had built crumble.
    It'll never happen I know, but I can still dream.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish they would do nothing...that would be an improvement
    Originally posted by Highball
    Throw us a bone..the do-nothings up there are trying to get re-elected...
    Two measures relate to the rights of gun owners. One would
    edited November -1
    Thanks for forcing me to think a bit more clearly.

The Do-Nothings-fOR Us are wishing to be elected again...comes much closer to what I meant....
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i know we agree, i was just being smart
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    I figured that...but still I left a fuzzy dangle there...