In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

when is pulling a handgun nessary

janasdad123janasdad123 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I have gotten arrested on july 5 2006, By the houlton Maine police dept for trying to defend my self from somebody that was threating to kill me and my family .I made every effort to avoid confortation with this person .I walked the other way from him .he backed up his car then swore at me and said he was going to kill me. the 1st thing i did was reach for my german shepard the the guy said he was not affraid of the dog and after he killed the dog he was going to kill me and my family so i pulled out my handgun to scare him and his 5 or 6 friends off he called the ploice in jerk water maine the dumb police cheif arrested me and charged me with threating with a leathal weapon witch is a felon .I was let out on a $250. bond what a joke for a felony .I am trying to hire a laywer up there and nobady will represent me because i dont live in maine .My QQUESTION TO ALL OF YOU IS WHEN IS IT SELF DEFENSE TO PULL YOUR WEAPON ? i was affraid for my life and my 16 month baby and wife where is the line drawn ? does any body know of a good attorney in the houlton Maine area ? I prey nobody else ever has to be put in this predicament any advice will be greatly taken thanks to all

bigum123@yahoo.com

Comments

• jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right or wrong I personally think you acted correctly. Do some internet checking on the gun laws where you are at to see just what type of self defense laws are on the books. Not that I'm advocating it but sometimes a shoot first and deal with the crap later is best. You should have plenty of witness statements from what info you gave. Best of luck to you.
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what its worth, I think you were more than justified.
  • janasdad123janasdad123 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok my question is what do i do now all the lawyers say its self defense but i will still have to pay an attorney and not be able to recover my funds being i am disabled and on ssi this is a hard thing to swallon living of 525. month for 3 people and i dont think i can win in * ville maine everybody is related to each other
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If all the lawyers say its self defense, then counter sue for infringment of rights.quote:Originally posted by janasdad123
    ok my question is what do i do now all the lawyers say its self defense but i will still have to pay an attorney and not be able to recover my funds being i am disabled and on ssi this is a hard thing to swallon living of 525. month for 3 people and i dont think i can win in * ville maine everybody is related to each other
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the limited information you have provided, if you can plead the case down to a misdemeanor, it might be to your advantage. No felony conviction (loss of gun rights forever) and no lawyer fees. Just pay the fine.

If you were here, and did the same thing, you could be charged with felony menacing. A "verbal" threat is not a sufficient reason to pull a gun. No matter how many people were in the car, or what they said. From what you have said, they did not get out of the car, and there was not an "immediate" threat to your life.

In some ways, you might have been better off, if you had let them get out of the car and then shot them. At least the gene pool would be cleaner.
    edited November -1
    nice answer .i thought trying to scare them off was better than shooting them and all the witnesses are related to the dumb hillbilly that started it.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....Only when you plan to use it.

A Christian is judged by his actions...
    edited November -1
    this is for anybody that cares after all this crap the da says it was self defense and thank you for bail bond we will keep it for court fees what a corupt little town in maine stay away
  • kw5kwkw5kw Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quote pickenup: "A "verbal" threat is not a sufficient reason to pull a gun."

+1
  • kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    Some of these people are stupid as rocks.... Some are very good spellers and are stupid as rocks....

Whenever you feel your "life/saftey" is endangered you defend yourself with ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!
    On these boards there are many Eastwoods... And Aristotle's If you and your family made it home safe; You done good!

True to my nature, If what you say is true, hell be to the one opposed! And so it shall...

Watch and C [;)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    Some of these people are stupid as rocks.... Some are very good spellers and are stupid as rocks....

Whenever you feel your "life/saftey" is endangered you defend yourself with ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!
    On these boards there are many Eastwoods... And Aristotle's If you and your family made it home safe; You done good!

True to my nature, If what you say is true, hell be to the one opposed! And so it shall...

Watch and C [;)]

[?]
  • Angel2youAngel2you Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In MN, if you fear death or great * harm you may fire your gun. As long as you can prove you are the victim.

quote:Originally posted by janasdad123
    I have gotten arrested on july 5 2006, By the houlton Maine police dept for trying to defend my self from somebody that was threating to kill me and my family .I made every effort to avoid confortation with this person .I walked the other way from him .he backed up his car then swore at me and said he was going to kill me. the 1st thing i did was reach for my german shepard the the guy said he was not affraid of the dog and after he killed the dog he was going to kill me and my family so i pulled out my handgun to scare him and his 5 or 6 friends off he called the ploice in jerk water maine the dumb police cheif arrested me and charged me with threating with a leathal weapon witch is a felon .I was let out on a $250. bond what a joke for a felony .I am trying to hire a laywer up there and nobady will represent me because i dont live in maine .My QQUESTION TO ALL OF YOU IS WHEN IS IT SELF DEFENSE TO PULL YOUR WEAPON ? i was affraid for my life and my 16 month baby and wife where is the line drawn ? does any body know of a good attorney in the houlton Maine area ? I prey nobody else ever has to be put in this predicament any advice will be greatly taken thanks to all

bigum123@yahoo.com
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First offense, if so you may go to court and get a warning, second then you may get probation or some jail time, don't expect much time of either to be honest. just get a lawyer and see what happens. You should have a lawyer representing your case for free but your better off hiring since they work more for yea with money coming.

(not sure how it works there but when i was in jail i had to feel out a form for my lawyer, just explains what you did, and lets them know if you need a felony lawyer or misdemeaner lawyer, yes there is a difference, this was in TEXAS though).

just arrange a price with the lawyer they gave you if you got one, and make sure he has experience with these types of cases, if not see if he can give you some names, and just call around. That's what i did when i went to jail, got out on bail then paid a lawyer and never stepped foot in the court room or court house for that matter. A little money can mean a warning or probation but jail, maybe

If your from out of state like i was they probably won't even hear your case. it was the best money i spent (900$) and mine was for 2 felonies and 3 misdemeanors all class A's (highest class you can get) in the same night, for burglary of a vehicle, in TEXAS of all states. young and foolish, just wanted the pizza hut sign that goes on top of the cars.