In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Assault weapons ban ?????

maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
ok, ok. im dumb. I am looking for the legit info on assault weapons ban. i have a norinco sks, serial number 92 04XXX. I need to know if this is a pre or post ban gun. is it legal that i put a folding stock and compensator on it 3 days after i bought it in 1992. i have been told that this lil gun is pre by some people, and post by some others. whats the truth? please help.

Comments

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "assault" weapons ban didn't take effect until 1994, so if you owned the gun prior to that then it would be a pre-ban gun. Also, compensators aren't covered in the ban, just flash hiders.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folding Stock
    Pistol Grip
    Bayonet Lug
    Grenade Launcher
    Flash Hider, or a threaded barrel that will accept one

TWO of the above items and the ability to take detatchable magazines throws it in the assault weapons classification (not three). A rifle cannot have over one of the five items noted above. It would have to have been configured as an assault weapon prior to the 1994 ban to be legal.

SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is my understanding that any of the listed guns that are classified "Assault Rifles" are exempt from any laws that deal with the Klinton crime bill or the Brady bill. Those weapons can, however, no longer be manufactured for the general public (this by the way, is unconstitutional, I don't care what anyone says)

If the receiver was manufactured before Sept. 13th, 1994, you can put whatever you want to it, just as long as the barrel is 16" or longer, and the overall length of it, with any folding stock folded or collapsed, is greater than 26 1/2" long. If it has an unregistered silencer on it, or has parts contained in it or modified to fire fully automatic, it is also illegal, but that is covered elsewhere in the law.

If you've owned that thing since before the ban, it can have a bayonet/lug, a threaded barrel, a flash suppressor, a pistol grip, a folding stock, and a grenade launcher on it and be modified to accept detachable magazines, and no foul. (The grenade launcher is a Class III item, and it must be registered appropriately, but even if it is registered, it could not be attached to a post-ban weapon legally)

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak
  • Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all the info. i had my step-dai/lawyer do the research. it is a pre ban gun. thanks to all of you.

For the first time a nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more effecient, and the world will follow our lead into the future.-A. Hitler

must have been a democrat
  • Options
    gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pleasure...

Death to Tyrants!!!

-Gunphreak