In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm sorry but I must admit I am scared that,,,,,,,

TexaseyesTexaseyes Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
,,,,,there are states here in our United States who have these kinds of restrictions, mandates, errr,,,,ahhh,,,,just plain handcuffs on our freedoms.
I read this on a forum from a guy from New Jersey and I quote:

"NJ requires what is called a Firearms ID card. That alone gets you the ability to purchase amunition and long guns.
You must present the card with each purchase at which point the transaction is logged by the dealer referencing your FID#.
The process of aquiring the ID costs about $40.00 and takes about 4-6 months to process the paperwork.
On top of that if you desire a handgun purchase permit you need to pay an additional fee, supply references, and submit to a background check (which takes another period of a few months). After all this you are issued the purchase permit which is good for exactly 90 days. This process must be repeated for each transaction.
They do allow you to apply for more than 1 handgun purchase permit at once though, unfortunatley I was not aware of this at the time of application.
All of this occurs through your local police department and is placed on public record.
The State cannot deny the constitution, but they certainly do make it difficult."

Yeah, I know, I must have been asleep but I am from Texas, grew up around guns, etc. I was taught that the gun was a tool. It was used for defense and food. As well as all my schoolmates, etc, was taught gun safety from the "get go". It was like sharpening my knife, driving the tractor or any other fundamental fact of life. I got my first gun at the Western Auto. I went in, paid my money, bought some rounds and killed a rabbit.
What is up with all this?
In my day, and I ain't that old, everyone had guns and everybody knew it. I would, not in a million years, ever have a passing thought to go get one and kill the kid on the playground who had just kicked my *. I just let my dad see the black eye and he taught me how to fight better.
Of course, I am in Texas and we don't have those constricting laws as pointed out above. However,,,,,,,,,,[V][:(!][:0]

My aim is to hit what I'm shooting at.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texaseyes, Welcome to the forum.

Before I came here, I did not know that there was such a thing as a FID card. Much less what it was used for. Putting in an application, to get a permit, to buy a firearm? Never heard of such a thing.

Reading in this (and other) forums has really opened my eyes to the extent of the proliferation of unconstitutional laws that have been passed in other states. I am still in a semi-free state (Colo.) where I can go to the gun-shop, and with a telephone call, take my gun home. There are quite a few people out there, who are not able to do this, as you are finding out.

Please, get informed, and stay that way. If not to help fight at the national level, at least so that you will not wake up one day to find that the cancer has spread, into your home town.

For California, New York, and as you pointed out New Jersey, (as well as others) it is all but too late.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Texaseyes,I echo pickenups welcome and comments.Stay informed brother aaand keep up the fight......
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Texaseyes: like pickenup said. I could only add that I try to introduce as many other people to becoming a gun owners as I possible can and to alert them to the damage different governments (city, state and federal) are doing, not only to gun rights, but to man, many of our state and federal constitutional rights.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texaseyes -

Pickenup makes some very good points. Here's my story.

I live in New York City. To get my pistol permit, I had to go to NYPD Police Headquarters between the hours of 10 and 4 to pick up the mandatory paperwork. I then had to return to the police department between the hours of 10 and 4 to turn in the paperwork and reference letters personally and be fingerprinted, etc. After about 6 months, the NYPD gets back to me and asks me to write a letter explaining why I recieved a speeding ticket in 1999 (seriously) and how it was resolved. This letter had to be notarized by a notary public. I delivered it by hand to the NYPD per instructions. About 2 months later, I called to check on the progress of my app, and was informed that they were still waiting on the letter explaining the speeding ticket. I wrote it up again, and made trip number 4 down to the station to deliver it to the NYPD. About 4 months later, I finally got my permit. To pick up this permit, I had to make trip #5 to the NYPD police headquarters and pick it up in person. Now that I had my permit, I had 30 days to buy ONE pistol. If you wait longer than 30 days, you have to start the process all over again. After I purchased the pistol, I had to return to NYPD police headquarters for the 6th time with the gun for inspection within 72 hours of the reciept. If you wait longer than 72 hours, you will get your permit revoked. After 90 days, you can buy another gun, but you must make a trip to the station to pick up a purchase permit and another trip to the station for firearm inspection. Each and every time.

All this to purchase a .45ACP for premises only. When I go to the range I have to put on a trigger lock, put the locked gun in a locked carry case, and carry all ammo in a seperate bag.

I was able to do this only because I work a few blocks from One Police Plaza and I have a boss who is a firearm enthusiast and allowed me to get away for an hour or so each of the six occasions to jump through the hoops. As far as long guns in NYC, you have to go through the above process but at a building in Queens. And each gun must be registered.

Fortunately, I have a place in the sticks upstate where it's cash and carry for long guns - and they don't have to be registered. But I can NEVER take my long guns back to my apartment in New York City for any reason.

Welcome to New York.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    This kind of crap is so utterly ridiculous and for the 1000th time, why did we let this happen???? To slow the plague of crime. I think we all knew better, so why? Constitution?? Do we still have one??? I don't think so. I guess it's high time we got one, but how? Hmmm, let's see....if we look to history, a little over 200 years ago, some guys got together and said, "we have a lot to loose, it will probably ruin our economy for some time, but we need a change." And they ended up with a constitution guaranteeing rights for ordinary people, and a govt of, by, and for the people. They decided their risk/loss/ultimate gain was worth it. I think this is a darn good example for us. And I want a constitution too!
    edited November -1
    jpwpolf: I don't know how those men and women who organized the American revolution got started or organized. Heck, it might have been just a few guys like us here talking about our loss of rights. I guess I am too fearful a person to start the 2nd revolution unless I see a majority of other Americans ready and willing to jump in. I still think if we nurtured a healthy and strong 3rd and 4th party we could have our revolution with very little pain and loss.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
    edited November -1
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. To do otherwise, is what everyone else is doing, and is not realistic. Look to General Discussion for another post on the supreme court refusal to hear Sylvera. The post is by a newcomer, chezick, I think, and would be very welcome over here. The title is something like "You no longer have the right to own a gun" or something like that. (alzheimers kickin in again)
    edited November -1
    btw texas, welcome, welcome
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jpwolf,
    How/why did we LET this happen?

There are sheeple living in the good old USofA that MADE this happen. They are calling for the confiscation of ALL firearms. They turn a blind eye on all the rights they are loosing. They have the misguided belief that the government is here for the good of the people, and the expectation that the government will actually protect them. They live with their heads buried in the sand, with no concept of reality. They listen to the filth, puked out by the one-sided media, and take it as gospel.
    They have won these battles simply because THEY MADE THE MOST NOISE.

When there is a PRO gun rally, or when we were trying to get a concealed carry law passed. We had a turnout of maybe 50-75 sometimes a little over 100 people attending. When the ANTI gunners staged a rally, they have a turnout in the hundreds. This, in a city with a population getting close to 2 MILLION. (I think) How can you take a turnout of 100 people seriously, if this is all there are, that are going to show up?

Quite a few pro gun people are afraid of standing out, or being labeled "gun nuts." Afraid they will be put "on a list." Afraid that the JBT's will come knocking at their door. And/or they feel that their puny donation to their pro-gun organization of choice, like the NRA or GOA (or any others) relinquishes them from any further involvement. Apathy, complacency, laziness, all play a part.

As for suggestions on how to turn things around? Sorry, don't have any. A fire needs to be lit under the carcasses of these people. Kent State did not do it. Ruby Ridge did not do it. Waco did not do it. What will it take? I am afraid of the answer.

P.S. I used the word carcass because, they might as well be dead.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Aside from the fact that many people who believe in the constitution and gun rights are lazy and don't take the dangers facing their rights seriously IMHO the reason you will often (maybe almost ALL the time) see more anti-gun demonstators turn out than pro-gun demonstrators is a simple fact of psychology in that the anti-gunners have, or think they have, more REASONS to turn out. And anytime you can provide more reasons to do ANYTHING you automatically will motivate more people to do what you want.

I would like to find more reasons for the pro-gun people to turn out.

Or if one of our weaknesses is usually a small turn out, find another way to show our force, rather than a physical showing. Such as orchestrated phone calls or letters. Or find some way to intice the lazy pro-gunners to show up. Such as having a nice door-prize (a free gun drawing?) or eveyone kick in a dollar and buy a few hundred lottery tickets with the promise to equally share any big winnings, or coordinate the rally/protest march to start on time, last only a short time, and end on time. Plus try and be sure there is some media exposure, as everyone loves to see themsleves or group on tv or in the newspaper.

edited November -1
    very good ideas TR, keep 'em coming.
    edited November -1
    and pickenup, I agree with you whole-heartedly. I knew this was true, but I still ask why... "why" are people like this.
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    and pickenup, I agree with you whole-heartedly. I knew this was true, but I still ask why... "why" are people like this.

Because it has become a self-centered"society.If it don't affect them directly they are not interested.The deer hunter(average type)does NOT understand why people think that they NEED AK-47's,or whatever,The Grouse hunter does not understand your zeal for pistol grip shotguns,extended magazines etc.The target shooter is in general not affected when theu take away large magazines only...In short its YOUR problem.....How do yoou change the mindset of an entire race of people? Slowly,and steadily,just like the government has done,a little here,a little there,Baby steps......But we are running out of time.........................
  • richcecilrichcecil Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am from Texas, work here in N Va. I find it funny that DC has one of the toughest anti gun adgenda in the nation, but it seems everytime I stop one of these "fine citizens" with DC plates, they have an illegal handgun!When we interview them, they brag about being able to by anywhere in DC. In five years, I have taken more guns off DC residence than anyone else. You tell me?

"single by deceit,parent by choice"
    edited November -1
    Also, to give gun owners more reason to turn out for a protest demonstration, we should try and move the focus from being mostly about guns on to being also about the constitution. Specifically about how honesty and fairness means the governments should obey the US AND the different states constituion as if they were the "rule book" of the game: which is just what they are. And until that rule book is changed it is criminal for any government to violate it's own rule book. Obeying the rule book is understood in sports but somehow lost in politics.

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to buy as much firearm-related items with cash as I can, as it doesnt leave a paper trail. The ATF probably keeps tabs on every transaction, and if a credit card is used, they probably know who bought it, and keep it all in a big database.

And that ID card is BS, if I lived in jersey I would either move, or buy all my ammo at a gun show or online in bulk.

bulletline.gif
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • lightbarlightbar Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Texaseyes
    ,,,,,there are states here in our United States who have these kinds of restrictions, mandates, errr,,,,ahhh,,,,just plain handcuffs on our freedoms.
    I read this on a forum from a guy from New Jersey and I quote:

"NJ requires what is called a Firearms ID card. That alone gets you the ability to purchase amunition and long guns.
    You must present the card with each purchase at which point the transaction is logged by the dealer referencing your FID#.
    The process of aquiring the ID costs about $40.00 and takes about 4-6 months to process the paperwork.
    On top of that if you desire a handgun purchase permit you need to pay an additional fee, supply references, and submit to a background check (which takes another period of a few months). After all this you are issued the purchase permit which is good for exactly 90 days. This process must be repeated for each transaction.
    They do allow you to apply for more than 1 handgun purchase permit at once though, unfortunatley I was not aware of this at the time of application.
    All of this occurs through your local police department and is placed on public record.
    The State cannot deny the constitution, but they certainly do make it difficult."

Yeah, I know, I must have been asleep but I am from Texas, grew up around guns, etc. I was taught that the gun was a tool. It was used for defense and food. As well as all my schoolmates, etc, was taught gun safety from the "get go". It was like sharpening my knife, driving the tractor or any other fundamental fact of life. I got my first gun at the Western Auto. I went in, paid my money, bought some rounds and killed a rabbit.
    What is up with all this?
    In my day, and I ain't that old, everyone had guns and everybody knew it. I would, not in a million years, ever have a passing thought to go get one and kill the kid on the playground who had just kicked my *. I just let my dad see the black eye and he taught me how to fight better.
    Of course, I am in Texas and we don't have those constricting laws as pointed out above. However,,,,,,,,,,[V][:(!][:0]

My aim is to hit what I'm shooting at.
  • lightbarlightbar Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most politicians don't care about anything but our tax money and our vote's. They say we want to keep people safe the only reason they want me safe is for my tax money and my vote. If i'm dead I can't support em any longer.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richcecil
    I am from Texas, work here in N Va. I find it funny that DC has one of the toughest anti gun adgenda in the nation, but it seems everytime I stop one of these "fine citizens" with DC plates, they have an illegal handgun!When we interview them, they brag about being able to by anywhere in DC. In five years, I have taken more guns off DC residence than anyone else. You tell me?

"single by deceit,parent by choice"

And how many of those "fine citizens" were convicted of firearms laws? This is my issue, the great majority are pled down to some crap and they walk. Thank you Mr. Prosecutor for being more interested in tying up court time that seeking justice.
  • kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    Welcome, TexasEYES

We need more eyes and fingers... my friend.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US Texans got duped with the CHL. Luckily they re-defined the term traveling [8D]
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am up late, can't sleep here in South Jersey. The FID is not required for ANY ammo purchase in NJ or anywhere. We can buy ammo through the mail, etc. Long guns can be purchased in any quantity, but you need the FID.... Mine took 2 months to get and it is good for life. Handguns do require a permit, one per gun. You can apply for any number at a time, takes about 2 weeks, depending on the police department in your town. I just picked up 3 this afternoon. They cost $2.00 and are good for 3 months and can be renewed for an additional 3 months at no charge or wait. The permit registers the handgun when you prurchase it. Long guns are not registered and can be bought out of state. If I buy in PA it is in accordance with their rules.

NJ is restrictive, but the interesting thing is that it has become less restrictive than it was 10 years ago. This is particularly true in the types of weapons that are allow, which is essentially all. I am not saying this is TX but it is nowhere near as restrictive as Massachusetts where I grew up, NY or CA. Why do we stay? Family, my wife's parents own a farm nearby and insurance, my wife has kidney disease and NJ does not allow insurance companies to rate you or drop you for pre-existing illnesses.

I have a range to shoot my AR-15 and another local range that has handgun leagues.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I would me more concerned with the restrictions that the FEDERAL government places on the people. I am more concerned about the likes of Chuck Schumer, George Bush, John McPain, placing restrictions on me, than I am concerned about the idiots in New Jersey placing handcuffs on themselves. They made their beds, now they have to lay in them. The people of New Jersey, and their ilk, can do as they wish-but when the people of New Jersey, New York, MA, Maine, have a say in limiting my freedoms, via federal government-thats what we should be concerned about.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

I would me more concerned with the restrictions that the FEDERAL government places on the people. I am more concerned about the likes of Chuck Schumer, George Bush, John McPain, placing restrictions on me, than I am concerned about the idiots in New Jersey placing handcuffs on themselves. They made their beds, now they have to lay in them. The people of New Jersey, and their ilk, can do as they wish-but when the people of New Jersey, New York, MA, Maine, have a say in limiting my freedoms, via federal government-thats what we should be concerned about.

True....true....
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fortunately for the rest of the country, the anti gun wackos and ignorant firearms no-nothings are a majority in these northeastern states but a minority in the rest of the country. Even in the northeast there are relative oasis's in NH, PA, DE and VT.

I would however be much more concerned about the state than the federal authorities. Local, county and state police will be the agents of confiscation. Not nearly enough feds to do the job. Watch your state legislators. These faceless folks will pass laws in the dead of night and you will wake up with your rights curtailed or gone...
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I agree. The states, in reality, are not restricted by the 2nd amendment. You see alot of states had their own assault weapon bans after the Feds gave them a guideline. The state laws didn't sunset, so anywhere that a state law covered the same thing, the ban is still in place.

The states go one at a time.Encouraged by the Feds, committed by your local legislator.

And yes, the locals will be the ones carrying out the confiscations. There are, however, more of us than them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    Welcome, TexasEYES

We need more eyes and fingers... my friend.

Do we need more plumbers also???[:o)][:D]
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    This is unbelievable. Just read this post and was shocked to see that it is so similar to what has happened in Canada. New York City, New Jersey, Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA they all seem to be headed in a similar direction.

We need a ruling by the supreme court in our favor trumping the states rights about gun rights. That is why Chuck Schumer has been fighting so hard to keep conservatives off the court. He knows if we get one more judge on board we can get the ruling we need. Thats a maybe because we don't know how the recent additions under Bush will really vote when the chips are down. Once they are in the chairs their loyalities have a way of changing.

The long term outlook is gray unless we can get some serious conservatives in power. Our current crop are not stand up guys, but of course if the liberals get back into power we are going to have another big time setback.

Say a prayer
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    So the guys presently in power aren't moving on guns.

They are entirely too busy moving on every OTHER freedom left to us, instead..realizing that they would get immediate resistance to futher gun laws.