In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Ban

RobatHrlyRobatHrly Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
Is there a handgun or firearms ban in the Treaty that is prposed?

Comments

• RobatHrlyRobatHrly Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could sombody please provide me with a link or info about what the Ban that Bush let slide entails? I thought it had to do pistol grips and bayo lugs etc. but one thing i am unsure of is the thing about replacing foriegn parts with American parts when altering guns. Any info would be helpfull as "Ignorance is not an excuse of the Law"
  • RobatHrlyRobatHrly Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have been talking to peole that are buying aks and ar lowers before the ban. thats going to ban them. i have not found any thing online about another ban. is it tru and if it is could you help me out with some links

thanks
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Here is a link which offers an excellent deal for joining the NRA and fighting for your gun rights. You can search the NRA's website archives and learn about the so-called assault weapons ban sunset.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=197081
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, welcome to the forum.

You are correct in that the Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban" of 1994, which covers things like flash hiders for the muzzle, bayonet lugs capable of mounting a military bayonet, magazine capacity, adjustable length stocks, and pistol grips on rifles and shotguns, are among the cosmetic features that comprised the law which expired in 2004.

Unfortunately the "executive order" signed by papa Bush in 1989, which halted the importation of semi-automatic rifles that could not meet certain "sporting" criteria into the U.S. is STILL IN EFFECT. That ban was later made into law on November 30, 1990 and subsequently amended in 1993.

That law specifically stated it was illegal to assemble a rifle or shotgun from imported parts unless a certain percentage of parts that were manufactured here in the U.S. were included in the complete assembly.

The 1989 Importation Ban listed 20 parts that were considered by our government to be essential in the making of a non-sporting rifle and those parts are listed below. An individual that wanted to assemble a banned firearm from a parts kit could not use more than 10 parts that were not produced here in the U.S. and included in this list. (You have to use 10 US made parts)
    1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings.
    2) Barrels
    3) Barrel extensions
    4) Mounting blocks
    5) Muzzle attachments
    6) Bolts
    7) Bolt carriers
    8) Operating rods
    9) Gas pistons
    10) Trigger housings
    11) Triggers
    12) Hammers
    13) Sears