In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help, need advise on self defense in DC

whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
Our 25 old daughter has moved to VA but works in DC. She is sales mgr for beverage distributor (Capitol Eagle) and job requires visits to bars, night clubs etc during their busy times= 4pm to 9pm. She has a revolver (trained shooter) at her apartment but cannot take it to DC, also stun guns are prohibited. What advice can you give me for her self protection while in the District?

Comments

• Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whompuss:

Bear Spray, if it's legal.

I have also seen pepper spray "RINGS" that can be worn as jewelry but I don't know if that's legal there either.

And of course a GOOD, LOUD military style whistle around her neck.

Best solution: Get another job!!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How about self defense courses. Maybe some that train in the use of "hand" weapons. Such as a plastic spike or a number of other self defense tools. Being totally aware of what going on around her will help alot.
  • whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions. My son in law is a lawyer practicing in DC (real estate lawyer, not a bottom feeder liberal) and he just informed me that the pepper spray must be purchased from a dealer in DC and a record must be sent to the police. She has to keep her copy with her at all times. There are restrictions for the type and size container so I guess bear spray is out.
    She's pretty street savy but is only 5-1 @ 105# so her physical strength is limited.
    Hard to believe that a tiny little woman is so limited to protection in the highest crime area of the US. I've tried to talk her into getting a job where she lives (VA) but she has a high paying fun job and doesn't want to give it up.
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whompuss:

"There are restrictions for the type and size container so I guess bear spray is out."

Bear spray can be obtained in a variety of sizes, actual content and effective ranges. The self-defense route sounds like a Very good idea based on her stature.
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As in many cities, it seems that DC has closed the door on most legitimate tools of self defense. If pepper spray is regulated then I assume that a taser is out of the question.

You may want to look into "dual purpose" tools that she could carry inconspicuously, but use for defense when necessary. Examples might be a bat, hammer, etc. Perhaps others have ideas of more ideal devices that a woman might be able to carry on a daily basis. There maybe some improvised tools that she could carry, like some panty hose with a pound of shot tied at the end that could work as a makeshift asp or blackjack, although likely illegal in most places too.

My wife carries pepper spray in her purse. By the way, she just learned a couple days ago that her work will not allow her to store a firearm in her personal vehicle in their company parking lot. She was told that she would have to park on the street (about a quarter mile from the building) if she has a firearm in her vehicle. This was very surprising to me as she works here in Nevada (a relatively pro-gun state) for a large American corporation that somewhat prides itself on having "free-spirited" customers.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WWolf,.........yes the workplace restrictions are total BS!
    Our state legislature tried to pass a law recently, preventing businesses from telling employees, and customers, using their parking lots, that they could not have a gun in their locked vehicle.
    Unfortunately, it was defeated this time,.......but is going to be reintroduced.
    I do a LOT of work for a huge industrial corporation here, and they have that rule on their property.
    I spoke to the "higher up", that I must deal with, about that subject one day.
    I have done their work in my trade, for 15 years now,.......but I told him if I had to leave my pistol home because of having to go there virtually avery day, at some point, that it rendered my CCW useless, and that they would need to find another vendor.
    Surprisingly, he told me to just make sure it was in my console, and out of sight, and to forget about it.
    Also, obviously, to never mention it to anyone there![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Darwim's theory seems to kick in, here....those that refuse to listen to reason may have to suffer the result.

I am teribly sorry that you and I live in occupied country, ruled by a Beast that refuses to allow 25 year-old girls to defend themselves.

That is a failure on OUR part..so we can share in the blame of it all.
  • sariwat1sariwat1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a party popper loaded with grounded chili powder. aim at face and pull string. there is always the keychains that you can use to punch or jab at a person. A knife, the old reliable, can always be use. If i were in DC, I'd have a gun none the less. the government is afraid of good people because there is so much corruption out there, they feel safer among criminals with guns since they have a mutual understanding. A spring baton is another option.
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would carry anyway. It saved Bernard Goetz's life on a New York City subway. The only problem is he did not kill the punks so they were able to testify.
    Abort Cuomo
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no advice. If I did, it would be

1. Learn how to pray real good.
    2. Get a new job.

You can see how both options suck.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best portable self defense item? Small double action revolver. Yes, understand the law in DC. I can get my daughter out of jail. I cannot get her out of the cemetery. Be discrete. For evening visits to clubs, etc, cell phone and a cab to meet you at the door.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Here is the advice I heard from an Attorney, on a personal, not professional basis:

Go to a grocery store, and find the cheapest and smallest can of Oven Cleaner, being certain to read the label - if it says clearly "Not for Aluminum", she has the right one. Buy two, and a few items of incidental sort, maybe like something for her car. Keep the receipt, in the bag. Keep the bag in the car.

"Not for Aluminum" oven cleaner is mostly LYE...Have her practice with one can, see how far it squirts??? Aim at small objects at about EYE-LEVEL or MOUTH_LEVEL, maybe three or four feet away, not too close!

Turns out, many things like knives, hatpins, flashlights, souvenir bats, bear and pepper spray have sometimes been found to be "Premeditated" or "designed or intended to cause harm", while "I was just going to use it to clean my oven" has not. This assumes she has an oven. She should say some variant of : "I just grabbed the first thing I could find." Every time the item is over three or four months old, use it up in the Oven (or practice), and get two or three new ones.

No Guarantees, no promises, This is just a hypothetical discussion, I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know, I never told you to harm any person, your mileage might vary, etc., and so on.
  • akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 11b6r, i'd be packin, rather be in jail than in the ground
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    You might also want to tell her to be sure to have a quart size bottle of water in her car to wash it off her hands, etc if she gets any on her.
  • actionherotraineeactionherotrainee Member Posts: 49
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    Here is the advice I heard from an Attorney, on a personal, not professional basis:

Go to a grocery store, and find the cheapest and smallest can of Oven Cleaner, being certain to read the label - if it says clearly "Not for Aluminum", she has the right one. Buy two, and a few items of incidental sort, maybe like something for her car. Keep the receipt, in the bag. Keep the bag in the car.

"Not for Aluminum" oven cleaner is mostly LYE...Have her practice with one can, see how far it squirts??? Aim at small objects at about EYE-LEVEL or MOUTH_LEVEL, maybe three or four feet away, not too close!

Turns out, many things like knives, hatpins, flashlights, souvenir bats, bear and pepper spray have sometimes been found to be "Premeditated" or "designed or intended to cause harm", while "I was just going to use it to clean my oven" has not. This assumes she has an oven. She should say some variant of : "I just grabbed the first thing I could find." Every time the item is over three or four months old, use it up in the Oven (or practice), and get two or three new ones.

No Guarantees, no promises, This is just a hypothetical discussion, I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know, I never told you to harm any person, your mileage might vary, etc., and so on.

And no animals were harmed either, right?

Kudos on this post... Something I would never have thought of.

May be just an urban legend of sorts, but I've heard that anyone visiting D.C. from another state, if charged with possession of a firearm, only needs to contact their Congressman to have the issue taken care of. Anyone have the straight skinny on this rumor?

Also, this may seem a little extreme... but... in the case of your daughter, whompuss, if there's a chance she could be commissioned as a peace officer (a reserve deputy constable, for instance) then she could legally carry a firearm in DC or any other state. Not a solution for everyone, and I'll be the first to admit people shouldn't have to go to that sort of extreme to protect themselves, but still it's one possible solution to her problem.
  • akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would definitely carry, its her constitutional right
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    It does not say anywhere in the constitution, that you have the right to carry a handgun concealed on your person, your construing that from the right to keep and bear arms.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to consider Kimber's Lifeact 'Guardian Angel'.

It has a 13' foot range, and can fire twice. I picked one up for the wife recently, and is seems to be a straightforward and practical device.

http://www.life-act.com/
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize
    It does not say anywhere in the constitution, that you have the right to carry a handgun concealed on your person, your construing that from the right to keep and bear arms.

Neither do I see that you cannot. This argument is just another one of those on the left used to attack the Second.
  • ulooknatme2ulooknatme2 Member Posts: 58
    edited November -1
    sounds like you really need a smoke...........imho

[:)]
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:It does not say anywhere in the constitution, that you have the right to carry a handgun concealed on your person, your construing that from the right to keep and bear arms.

If you believe that the Constitution enumerates ALL of your rights then those are the ONLY rights you deserve.
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    Tell her to move to another state.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a 3" XD everywhere and avoid places where CCW is illegal or not allowed. If I go to a place where CCW is illegal (police station, post office, airplane, etc.) I don't carry. If I go to a place that I know ahead of time is posted no weapons, I just carry something small: my Beretta Tomcat. That's the spirit of the law, right?
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize

Actually, when it says "bear arms", it doesn't limit us to specific methods of carry, basically stating that, however you want to carry it is fine. You're responsible for the outcome.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The anti-gun mentality will twist and contort themselves into knots, trying to find justification for gun control in whatever form their fears drive them to allow.

They have been taught..and learned well..that common citizens are FAR more to be feared then government.
    The mere fact that hundreds of millions of people were killed by out-of-control governments last century is just a curiosity to them.nothing to get excited about, you know.
    Concealed carry was a worry to some from the beginning of our history.
    Swift, sure justice would have been a better answer to criminal acts or the deranged.
    There is no good responses to the original question.
    The choices are to break the law and help ensure personal saftey;
    Or submit and accept whatever fate holds for a victim.

Each individual makes his or her choice in the matter.
  • johnny dangerouslyjohnny dangerously Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get her some traning quick. i have taken diffrent martial arts classes over the years im 6'3 230lbs. one day last mounth one of the girls at school kicked me in the knee and used a palm strike on my jaw. i went down hard. did i mention shs 4'10 85lbs? but dont get sucked into some mcdojo mini mall b.s. i recmond brazillian jiu jitsu and muay thai.i think those two are a devastating combo.i know first hand.with these two one dose not have to learn time wasting formes and pointless poses.i wish your daughter the best of luck sir,along with the rest of the unprotected people in dc.
  • CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D.C. is truly pathetic. That a woman or man for that matter can't protect herself or himself legally.
    If she doesn't carry a gun and uses one of the mentioned legal ways of carring. Chances are that if she comes across and attacker, and I pray she doesn't, the attacker will mostly have a gun.
    When will gun grabbers learn gun laws don't effect criminals.
    If I carried in D.C. and was caught I think I would agrue the 2nd ammendment rights in the courts.
    I'm not in the practice of telling someone to go and break the law, but as one members stated it's better to go get you daugther out of jail then and funeral home.
  • gauche_but_honestgauche_but_honest Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cutiegirlracing
    I'm not in the practice of telling someone to go and break the law, but as one members stated it's better to go get you daugther out of jail then and funeral home.

+1

quote:Originally posted by akfanatik
    i would definitely carry, its her constitutional God given right
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

"It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its label." - I'm not saying this is a totally bad plan but a can of oven cleaner is bigger than she can carry with her. Also the receipt will have a date on it and then there's the issue of carrying aerosol cans in vehicle.

My opinion is carry the gun - if she has to use it it seems unlikely that someone she has to pull it on will file a complaint...
  • CeeWhyCeeWhy Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to defend yourself in a way which doesn't involve carrying a firearm or electroshock weapon, might I suggest a high-powered green laser (I recommend something higher than 50mW)? As most people know, a red-dot laser is pretty annoying, and can sort of screw with your vision after prolonged exposure. Green lasers of the highest power commercially available would probably make excellent dazzlers, being anywhere between 50 and 1250 times stronger than the average red laser pointer. In fact, similar lasers have been known to be used by punks in Sydney, Australia to blind pilots in the air as they've been approaching airfields to land. It does that kind of damage at 1 kilometre... imagine what it can do at 1 metre! Plus, since it's a pointer often used by ordinary people to point out stuff in presentations, it's an inconspicuous dual-purpose item which she can carry without drawing too much attention.