In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are full auto fire control groups legal?

JBishopJBishop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
A commercial website that specializes in various gun supplies that I frequent has often carried full auto control groups and lower recievers with full auto control groups (on guns where the upper reciever is considered the firearm). I was baffled by this as I had always thought it illegal to sell anything which would make a firearm full auto. I was wondering if any of you could tell me whether or not it is legal to sell something like this online. Even if you had no intentions of modifying or building a gun with these parts, wouldn't someone have to have the Class III firearms license to purchase something like this?

Comments

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it could only be shipped to a Class III dealer and the purchaser would have to pay the $200 NFA tax to bring it home. Thats the way I understand it.

COOLBULLETS.jpg You are knuckle-dragging ape with a gun.
  • JBishopJBishop Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't appear as such, it's at a normal on-line catalog website which sells no firearms, but only supplies and makes no statements whatsoever about any special conditions. It appears to be ordered and delivered as per normal, which is what makes it so confusing.
    edited November -1
    Whats the site? I'd like to check it out.

edited November -1
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=174943
    I've also seen M16 full auto fire control groups and other guns full auto groups here as well.
    edited November -1
    I just thought of something, a friend of mine has a FAL. On the safty it has the option of full auto, but the rifle isn't capable of full auto, so maybe thats what it means. I'm sure some of the other guys will respond in the morning. Or you may want to repost this in the General forum, you'll get more hits in there.

edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll try posting it there. [:)]
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that the parts are not illegal to possess, but if you possess them in conjunction with a compatible firearm for the part, you are breaking the so-called "law", even if they are not assembled.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Quote from Gunny....
    "but if you possess them in conjunction with a compatible firearm for the part, you are breaking the so-called "law", even if they are not assembled"

It's amazing what "shall not be infringed" does not actually cover.

jpwolf.gifawcountdown_sm.gif

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    - Samuel Adams
    edited November -1
    quote:It's amazing what "shall not be infringed" does not actually cover.

No kidding. That's why I referred to it as the so-called "law", and not the proper law, because it is anything but that.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken, posession of these components is not illegal-even if they will fit a gun you currently own. Installing them is.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
    edited November -1
    Better check that one, again. If you have all the parts to make one, the Bureau of Jack Booted Thugs will assume you have a machine gun, and that's the bottom line. You better check that out if you actually plan on doing this, or if you do, I wouldn't say a word to anyone about it.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    The Bureau will be watching if you buy it anyway, Rest assured that it will be on a list somewhere. Patriot Act got this accomplished for us.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.