In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Local citizen practicing open carry

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
http://www.fox8.com/wjw-news-gun-owner,0,3525816.story

Good for this guy. I like the fact he recorded the convo with police. Of course the media and police captain act like he is in the wrong...
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    In viewing the video, one can clearly see just how far we have fallen as a people from any concept of freedom and personal liberty.

It was truly disgusting to hear the commentary by the reporter, the "witness" who called the cops and the police spokesman.

Pathetic.
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better link

Better link with a sound clip of the conversation this law abiding citizen had with the authorities while he was "not being detained".

Snip from article:
    Reporter Elisa Amigo covered the story and claimed witnesses thought they "were about to witness a robbery" and so called police. I'm not sure of the time frame since Carlisle was able to order his food, pay for it, eat it, and leave before police showed up. So, either he was supposed to be a robbery suspect after he paid, ate, and left or the Parma police have a really long response time. Jared Leon was interviewed as one of the "witnesses". He claimed Carlisle was "looking around all crazy," so called police.

Fox News did point out that open carry is legal in Ohio. "We as a city, as a police department don't agree with it, but we're stuck with it," said Captain Robert Desimone of the Parma Police Department. "That's the law, we have to uphold it."

Edited ONLY to shorten link. [;)]
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • afartinthewindafartinthewind Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohio... Pretty damn disgusting, some of these clowns need to be stripped of their citizenship.
  • ryanek9freakryanek9freak Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for Him! I used to live in Parma. The cops there are complete jerks to start with, and I bet they were really giving it to him over this.

I'm so glad they couldn't do anything about it.
  • FlockerFlocker Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They had a poll also

Should you be allowed to carry a holstered gun in public?

Absolutely (5300 responses)

90.8%

Not Really Sure (103 responses)

1.8%

No Way (433 responses)

7.4%

5836 total responses
  • therockguytherockguy Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in North Idaho and carry everywhere the grocery store, bank (yes the bank) restraunts, fast food or fancy, anywhere but the post office, court buildings etc.. places excluded from open carry bylaw. this is what we are all about in Idaho, and it should be like this everywhere. Oh yeah I carry in Washington also, with no hassles.

anyone else excercise there right? check out opencarry.org if we all do it then it will be the norm and I believe crime rates will fall.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ryanek9freak
    Good for Him! I used to live in Parma. The cops there are complete jerks to start with, and I bet they were really giving it to him over this.

I'm so glad they couldn't do anything about it.

Did you listen to the tape ? Obviously you didn't.

The cops were respectful, they joked around with the guy, explained that they were responding to a call, never treated him in a bad way at all. They made sure that no laws were being violated, apologized to the guy for the inconvenience, and let him go on his way.

This guy had all the statutes, and case law memorized. He had a tape recorder with him, because he knew he would probably be challenged. He clearly knew that what he was doing was going to cause controversy (which I don't have a problem with). He also knew that he was in the right, and had broken no laws.

He made a decision to cause public awareness, and he accomplished his goal. I applaud his efforts. I hope more people do the same. At the same time, police are pretty much bound to respond to citizen complaints. That is what they get paid for. If they blew off the call, and the guy had robbed the Taco Bell, or went in and shot everyone in the store, what kind of press would that have gotten ?

I personally feel the more contacts between police, and gun owners is a positive thing. I've spent over 25 years in law enforcement, and for the most part, gun owners are responsible citizens who value their rights, and expect they be upheld.

No law was broken, no arrest was made, no attorneys involved, no cost to any of the parties.

Some of you have to make a decision. Do you want to live in a society where someone calls the cops and says "I just saw a guy walk into the Taco Bell with a gun", and the cops just say, "yeah, and..." or do you want them to send on officer or two to check out what is going on ?

People with first hand info are a much better source than the casual observer on the street. Trained, professional people are an even better source. The person on the end of the 911 call has only the information the caller gives.

Cops don't get to pick and choose which calls they are assigned. Dispatchers don't get to choose which ones they feel are valid. If they receive a call from a concerned citizen, they respond, investigate, and act accordingly. No law here was broken, no arrest was made. What more do you want ?
    edited November -1
    I DID listen to the tape, several times actually. Did you bother to hear the part where they presented him with all the "plausible scenarios" under which they could detain or arrest him?

All they needed to do was verify that he wasn't breaking any laws, and let him go on his way. I'm so sick of ignorant people who can't tell the difference between a law abiding citizen carrying a gun for defense reasons, and a would be robber.

Don't you think if he were going to rob Taco Bell, that he would have done it? I've had the very same thing happen to me several times, and it's really starting to piss me off. The cops always give me the same hassle every time. They always tell me that they can charge me with "inciting panic" if I don't leave.

The American public, yourself included, have lost touch with reality.
    Go pound sand.
  • Old SourdoughOld Sourdough Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All other posts being acknowledged,just one additional point: "Carlisle pulled out a tape recorder and then complied with the officers orders". It's probably not a good idea to pull out anything when told to put your hands on your head. The point you are trying to make may be completely lost. JMHO
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    has any criminal ever walked into anyplace he was planning to rob with the firearm clearly visable the entire time??? i see a guy walking down the street with a pistol on his hip while it certainly will catch my attention i would not call ths cops. its perfectly legal to carry like that so whats the prob?? id say a few more people need to start open carrying and see what happen.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    Better link

Better link with a sound clip of the conversation this law abiding citizen had with the authorities while he was "not being detained".

Snip from article:
    Reporter Elisa Amigo covered the story and claimed witnesses thought they "were about to witness a robbery" and so called police. I'm not sure of the time frame since Carlisle was able to order his food, pay for it, eat it, and leave before police showed up. So, either he was supposed to be a robbery suspect after he paid, ate, and left or the Parma police have a really long response time. Jared Leon was interviewed as one of the "witnesses". He claimed Carlisle was "looking around all crazy," so called police.

Fox News did point out that open carry is legal in Ohio. "We as a city, as a police department don't agree with it, but we're stuck with it," said Captain Robert Desimone of the Parma Police Department. "That's the law, we have to uphold it."

Edited ONLY to shorten link. [;)]

Great link to the full audio. The man should be given a medal.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Yu should notbe stopped and questioned about this practice anymore than you should be;

stopped and asked your citizenship status.
    Required to inform the government of how much mony you made
    Claim a party affiliation
    edited November -1
    does anyone here practice open carry daily? I think it would be good if we all did.
  • oreegunoreegun Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only imagine that if only one person in the Binghamton massacre today had carried concealed or open the carnage could have either saved some lives or completley stopped the idiot who pulled it off. BTW, this tradgedy is a sad commentary, once again, on the condition of this country.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by therockguy
    does anyone here practice open carry daily? I think it would be good if we all did.

I do, every chance I get.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by therockguy

I open carry at home and while on my property, but under my state's unconstitutional law I am not allowed to carry except concealed unless its on my property. So before I go across the street to get my mail or get in my car I untuck my shirt and place it over my hand cannon, upon returning to my property I tuck my shirt back in. I don't care who is watching, or driving down the road, I am not breaking any stupid little BS laws. I pay the state their $10.00 every year and maintain my permit to exercise my God given constitutional right. God knows I don't want to offend anyone by exercising my God given constitutional rights without paying off the government and obtaining their consent.
    edited November -1
    witynbear, some states are not as cool as Idaho, I just hope that your state gets over there illness and that mine does not catch it. too bad the governement is spreading the illness everywhere now.
  • don.bdon.b Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have cops, much like that; in Springfield, Mo. They just feel that they can 'make the law', as they go...NOT ALL, of course, but I've met a couple..
  • mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason I can think of that would give them reason to detain this man is. To check his background and determine if he is legally qualified to carry. Not a felon, nut case, or have any other disqualifying restrictions connected to him. Other than that he should be applauded for his efforts to show citizens he is willing to exercise his rights as a law abiding individual. I'm not so sure that the police were out of line. They received a call and they responded. That beats sitting on their * and letting someone massacre a restaurant full of folks and build one more case against gun owners. Depending on how you look at this it could be a double edge sword. But as it turned out GOOD FOR HIM.
    edited November -1
    Chances are though, that if someone is openly carrying a gun, they obviously have nothing to hide, and shouldn't be treated like a criminal. I do understand that they had to respond, but they had no more authority to question him carrying a gun, than they did for him carrying a cell phone.
  • ynoty3kynoty3k Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I applaud this man. I fully Intend to practice open-carry with some frequency, if not purely for the public education.

I remember an incident a few years back, quite similar to this in Reston Va, where 2 college age students were lawfully practicing open-carry, once again police were contacted, the students were arrested, detained and their firearms were confiscated. All the while, the students were explaining, much in a similar manner to this man, that what they were doing was 100% lawful.

The police did not know the laws well, much less at all, and in my opinion therefor should not be allowed to carry firearms.

Needless to say, the students retained counsel, and they were released promptly with full apologies from everyone involved, and even the police chief him self, and their firearms were returned post haste.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Just in case no one has done this, here is a link to the guys description of what happened to him when he left Taco Bell.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/23248.html
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive had this happen to me in a walmart. the cop just coulnt understand why anyone would want to ware a firearm in that store? i told him because i can! he threatened to arrest me if i didnt go to my vehichle and take it off. i did so reluctanly, but also told him he was ignorant of the law. the thing is that police officers need to be trained on all of the batf laws. even half of atf agents dont no the damn law! until then, we will keep having this problem.