In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lost Faith in the NRA? Well,......

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
This was sent to me by the NRA via email attached to the daily NRA grassroots update. For those who have lost faith in the NRA, I just wanted to share with you. Draw your own conclusions:

NATIONAL JOURNAL POLL
RANKS NRA TOP LOBBYING ORGANIZATION

In a recent "National Journal" Congressional Insiders Poll of lawmakers, the NRA was rated as the most effective lobbying organization in Washington. Asked to cite which lobbying group(s) they considered as the most effective on Capitol Hill, 73 lawmakers, representing both parties, determined that NRA was, "the lobbying group with the most firepower."

Commenting on their choices, one Republican lawmaker said, "The NFIB and the NRA, because they do not pull their punches or cozy up to their enemies. Their allies respect them, and their adversaries fear them."

No less telling was a quote from the Democratic side of the aisle, which stated, "'Fear Factor' with the NRA and the Club for Growth. Fairly rare floor votes--but when they hit back home, the hit long and hard."

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see the NRA use some of this "firepower" to ROLL BACK some of the UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws that are on the books now. I mean some major ones. Like making new machine guns, and let the public buy them. The import ban that is still in effect. Etc.
    Well....with all this FIREPOWER......we should be on the OFFENSE, not DEFENSE.

Wanna bet? Got cash. Any takers?

Not bashing, just making a statement. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I have no problem with your thinking as you do. However we all know that only the NRA is lucky to have about 4 million paying members. That is far LESS THAN 10 PERCENT OF ALL GUN OWNERS IN AMERICA.

With these kind of ratios the anti-gunners know that the NRA, while maybe the most powerful gun lobbyist group, is NOT ALL POWERFUL. Nor is it even close to being as powerful as it could be.

From that stand-point, the NRA can be considered "weak". I am amazed the NRA does as well as it does under these circumstances.

It does not have the strength or power to do much rolling back of many laws. It must concentrate on trying to prevent any new laws.

If the NRA had more members it probably could do some amazing things.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA is powerful. As pickenup mentioned, they should be working on repealing laws like the full auto ban. However when this ban passed in 1986, it was due to the continual lobbying of the NRA. Just see Firearms Owner's Protection Act. A lot of the "successes" the NRA have are just gun control bills in disguise.

The NRA is walking a fine line. 40% of NRA members supported the "assault weapons" ban. If they start opposing the old bans, they run the risk of losing their money.

The GOA is fighting to overturn the machine gun bans, however the NRA still considers their FOPA of 1986 the best thing they have ever done. If the ban is going to expire, you've got the 350,000 members of the GOA fighting against the 4,000,000+ NRA members, many of which supported the ban on semi-auto look alikes.
    edited November -1
    In all the contacts, mailings, phone calls, person visits, public annoucements and statements, reports by the media have I ever seen/read/heard most (if any) of the negative stuff posted above.

I have read a lot of negative stuff, from supposely pro-gun organizations that for reasons known only to them, hate the NRA.

Here is a clue for some of you. The NRA over the years has hired/contracted or had a business association with many, many people. some of those people left/were fired or forced out of the NRA.

Guess what? Some of those people hate the NRA and are happy to spread lies about the NRA.

• gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey fox,

Can it be that the NRA supports mostly people who believe in the right to hunt as the reason for the 2nd Amendment? All the time, we see hunter issues, which is not, all by itself a bad thing, but what about those gun owners that don't hunt, and have their guns for self defense? I know many NRA members that are scornfully opposed to my choice of firearms. You call that brotherly love?

I am a member of the NRA. I do so simply because I was one before I realized all the things that the NRA stands for. I for one, am not happy with the FOPA '86, and if they want to do something that makes me see them for what they want me to see them for, they will rally against the law, and get that offensive MG manufacturing ban out of it.

Until that time, they are another brick in the wall.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The post you opened with, Tr;

Exactly the line I would take if I intended to abolish firearms...and had the 'premier' "Gun Rights" origanization in my pocket.

The facts remain.The NRA wants absolutely nothing to do with the arms of the "Unorganized Militia"..the ONLY GUN RIGHTS COVERED IN THE SECOND AMENDMENT.

Full auto weapons/NO FEDGOV CONTROLS/NO FEDGOV DATA BASES/..THESE are the rights absolutely protected under the Second...abridged by the fedgov...AND aided and abeted by the NRA.

Sorry...had there been an AR-15 held aloft.."From My Cold Dead Fingers"...perhaps I would get on your bandwagon.

Until such a time I see the proper defination of the Second from the NRA...I chose not to support them...they are NOT SUPPORTING ME....
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess all of you guys are smarter than me and I am just the idiot of the bunch.

I plainly see how the NRA does a lot of good. It is not perfect and I am sure has made mistakes in the past and will do so in the future. But to an idiot like me, doing even 75% good for the cause is good enough for me.

And I support the NRA and a few other pro-gun rights groups. Probably at least one group that most of you (well, not you Highball [:D]) believe in and support yourself.

I guess I will just keep on being an idiot (along with about 3,999,999 other idiots) and continue to support as many pro-gun organizations since we don't have enough of them.

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Nobody called you an idiot,TR;

You and most of the other members of the nra have high hopes for the best.
    Your faith in the ruling class to do the right thing is precisely the tool they use to barter away your..(and mine) rights.

Add that to the 40% given above..(nra supporters of the AWB)..and there can be no doubt in the inevitability of what must happen...a ban on firearms in the near future.

The point I have reached no longer allows me to support those dealing off rights..not in the government..not in ANY "gun rights organization.." NEVER again will I allow myself to be convinced that "Compromise" is a good thing....NOT WHEN IT COMES TO A GOD GIVEN RIGHT.
    edited November -1
    I called myself an "idiot" Highball [:D].

And I may well be. But working as I do with several pro-gun rights groups suits me and my purposes. All of the groups I know of are working to help us, not hurt us.

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Perhaps TR, you have the right idea. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

WHO SAID THAT??!!??

[;)]

jpwolf.gifawcountdown_sm.gif

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    - Samuel Adams
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to do the NRA a big favor, Fox,

Remember to let them know that hunting is a 9th Amendment implied rights issue, not a 2nd Amendment direct right.

And I go on record for saying that anyone who claims to be pro-gun but not for certain ones is anti-gun. Bottom line.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
    edited November -1
    message received.

edited November -1
    Originally posted by jpwolf
    Perhaps TR, you have the right idea. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

WHO SAID THAT??!!??

[;)]

I'm not sure who said that but it makes sense.