In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how old should ownership be?

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
how old do you think you should be to buy and own a rifle, pistol, or shotgun??and what about new york states law about not being allowed to shoot another man, or womans handgun??

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone

Comments

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't say how old you should be, but I was 11 when I got my first shotgun.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    my daughter was 7 when I first let her shot a Beretta .22 short semi-auto, with close supervision.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    In a free society...unlike ours...age of ownership would depend on responsibility...and parents decisions.

Insane...would describe MOST gun laws..including the New York law mentioned.

Abjectly emasculated...would describe most of the manhood in America...allowing these laws to remain on the books.

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was always of the opinion that if you are old enough to serve, you are old enough to own.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
  • nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall seeing a few old Stevens' rifle adds that were proclaiming to parents that shooting was a great way to teach kids resposibility. Now some people think your crazy for teaching a youth to shoot. [:(] Just what is a good age depends on the kid. Sixteen years old is old enough to own a car, couldn't this be used as a deadly weapon?
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, according to the Militia Act of 1792, the militia is supposed to comprise all able-bodied males between the ages of 17 and 45, the answer to me is 17 years of age, in which ownership can occur for all guns, pistols or longs, full-auto, semi-auto, repeating or single shot, and all ammunition and support equipment needed to operate properly.

With slavery being abolished and the rights of all freed men being instilled in the 14th Amendment, and equal rights coming into play, that would also include all able bodied blacks and other minorities, as well as women. And we cannot discriminate against the old, either, so we can just scratch out that 45 years of age part, so that it reads "All able bodies 17 or older....". Violent felons should already be in jail or dead, so it doesn't apply to them.

Death to Tyrants!!!
    Lev 26:14-39

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

Luke 22:36.
    "Followers of Christ, be armed."
  • tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10 years old when i recieved my first rifle-a 22 hornet that was passed down from my great uncle to my uncle to me-i only got it because i proved to my parents that i could handle it safely by the stuff i learned from my parents, 4-h shooting sports, and boy scouts. bought my first gun when i was 14 from the money i saved up all summer from baling hay and installing tile. it was a new rem. 1100 and it sure taught me the value of money real quick. im 21 now and still involved with 4-h and boys scouts but as a voulunteer. the more u can teach safety and resonsibility to youth-the better.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Way to go tatercat! Keep doing your good work and we will see fewer and fewer anti-gun problems [:D]

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A law concerning age is gun control and is unconstitutional. Until you are 18 you are under the control of your parents. So your parents should be able to let you own a gun whenever they want.
  • westlund_125westlund_125 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get enough money to buy one, You should be able to exercise your 2and amendment right.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in the ninth grade (15 years old) everybody in the AG class was a member of the Future Farmers of America. We had a school sponsored magazine selling contest to raise money for the FFA. The first prize was a semiautomatic Mossberg 12 gauge and second prize was a semiautomatic Winchester .22. Bet they don't do that anymore.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    Think those 17 year olds came to the Militia unable to shoot ?

Nope..they owned and used guns from the age they were big enough to carry and shoot them...and added to the family food supply in the process.

Just because we today no longer feel obliged to teach our young the responsibilities inherant in being an American..with a few exceptions..is no reason to tear down freedoms for all.

edited November -1
    When does a child truly become an adult? To me, I have known many adult children. I have also known many child-like adults.

Maybe all juveniles should have to apply to be emancipated at whatever age they believe they are adults, and if it cannot be completed by the age of 21, they are given compulsory military training to make them grow up, with failure being involuntary servitude for one year and then send them back to boot camp until they succeed, with failure being that they are sent back through the cycle.

I know, it seems like it is harsh and ripe for abuse, but one thing is for damned certain, there won't be near as many blow-lunches out there, and welfare will no longer be necessary, nor will any other form of public assistance if done the way it should be. Plenty of incentive to be the kind of person you should be.

Death to Tyrants!!!

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.

• jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a hand gun before I was 21 and I also drank in moderation before I was 21. I'm glad I did both. I don't think a person should be unfamiliar with hand guns before they turn 21.
  • dlonewolflldlonewolfll Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was shooting at age 5 (with my Dad), given my own firearm when I was 12, Dad "bought" (I paid, he signed the paperwork) my first pistol at 16. I also drank before I was 18 (drinking age at the time). None of these things caused me to harm others. It all worked for me.

I'm sure the way I did things would not work for others today, as most kids that I see anymore seem to be half mentally retarded ( for you P.C. people that would be mentally "challenged") and the other half is just plain disrespectful. I can't imagine a disrespectful retard running around with a firearm.
    edited November -1
    I think some of you are missing the point, here. Any good parent teaches their children young how to use a firearm. This isn't about how old you should be to use one under adult supervision. The topic is asking "When should legal ownership be?" Let's stick to that for a while.

Death to Tyrants!!!

• Shadow83Shadow83 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BIRTH!!!

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
    edited November -1
    That's pretty good, Shadow....

Death to Tyrants!!!

edited November -1
    Yes,indeed,Shadow...I know a couple doting Grandpa's that have bought 22 rifles..(Chipmunk and a single shot Winchester,lovingly cut down and carefully refinished to better then new..) For Grandkids..at birth....I was present at the 6th birthday when the Winchester was given as a precious momento of the occasion...

• rkd3rkd3 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i feel that this topic's correct answer is ... depends on the individual. I was shooting under my father's supervision at 7. this was mostly .22 rifles w/ some .243 and .250 cals mixed in.
    I fired a pistol at 9. and first fired a shotgun during my first hunter safety course at age 12.
    but until 18 you are the responsibility of your parents alone, and it is they who should decide that. after 18 however, I think anyone is fair game to beciome an owner.

COLD DEAD FINGERS
    'nuff said