In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Guns in Park Ban REPEALED! :)

fj40davefj40dave Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Judges-ruling-ends-Seattles-gun-ban-84272067.html

Seattle....a HUGELY anti-gun liberal tree huggin culture (not that there's anything wrong with that - as long as someone is willing to defend the "freedoms") has a Judge that recognizes what the Second Ammendment means!

Comments

• COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's refreshing to know that we can sometimes come back from the brink and regain the rights we had in the beginning.

The article said the mayor felt the city should be able to ban guns in the areas where kids are. Too bad he doesn't recognize that a gun in the hands of the law-abiding citizen does MORE to PROTECT the kids than a dozen cops on patrol.

COB
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent News Congrats
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2nd Amendment Foundation, though not ideologically pure in the strictest sense, has done, and continues to do some good work.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time cross country skiing in yellowstone. Seeing what wolves and coyotes did to a elk. Nice to know.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like they mentioned the NRA in that article.[:D][}:)][:D]quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    The 2nd Amendment Foundation, though not ideologically pure in the strictest sense, has done, and continues to do some good work.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Seems like they mentioned the NRA in that article.[:D][}:)][:D]quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

They also mentioned a gay rights activist. Do you have a point?

Brad Steele
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Seems like they mentioned the NRA in that article

Spread you legs..you ain't a virgin no more. No amount of lying, coverups, protestations, or alibias changes the facts.

The Second Amendment is either WORTH defending in its purest form...or it isn't.

You that see no harm in the tattered, violated, shabby relic of an ideal would be better served to JUST ADMIT that the Constitution means nothing to you. Put it in your tag line.

Be HONEST for once in your lives....
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:Seems like they mentioned the NRA in that article

Spread you legs..you ain't a virgin no more. No amount of lying, coverups, protestations, or alibias changes the facts.

The Second Amendment is either WORTH defending in its purest form...or it isn't.

You that see no harm in the tattered, violated, shabby relic of an ideal would be better served to JUST ADMIT that the Constitution means nothing to you. Put it in your tag line.

Be HONEST for once in your lives....
    What a concept....[:)]

Well said.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by steve45

They also mentioned a gay rights activist. Do you have a point?
    Brother Don.[:)]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Sadly, even though the NRA was the only organization (that I know of) that worked on this, many here will continue to hate the NRA.

Doesn't make sense to me. Course a lot of things in this world don't make sense to me.

Oh, did you notice in the above posts, once something good about the NRA was posted, the anti crowd swarmed in and threw their usual cold water on it?
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Sadly, even though the NRA was the only organization (that I know of) that worked on this, many here will continue to hate the NRA.

Doesn't make sense to me. Course a lot of things in this world don't make sense to me.

Oh, did you notice in the above posts, once something good about the NRA was posted, the anti crowd swarmed in and threw their usual cold water on it?

The problem here Fox, that's all you got out of it. The NRA was "MENTIONED". They were NOT the only group working on it. Read the whole article and increase your parameters of discussion beyond three-letter alphabets.

COB
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fj40dave
    .a HUGELY anti-gun liberal tree huggin culture (not that there's anything wrong with that Everything wrong with that!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, even though the NRA was the only organization (that I know of) that worked on this
    What an ignorant statement.
    They were not even the lead plaintiff.
    After the 5 individual plaintiffs,
    the Second Amendment Foundation was the lead organization to file suit.
    Followed by the Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms.
    Next comes the Washington Arms Collectors Inc.
    Lastly comes the NRA. Hanging onto the shirt-tails of the Second Amendment Foundation, just as they did in the suit filed after Katrina by the Second Amendment Foundation. A suit in which, once won, the NRA took ALL the credit. Somehow forgetting to even MENTION the Second Amendment Foundation in their press release following the courts decision.

I will not give them ANY credit for hanging onto the shirt-tails of the Second Amendment Foundation........AGAIN.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Sadly, even though the NRA was the only organization (that I know of) that worked on this
    What an ignorant statement.

You were expecting something intelligent?

Ever the optimist.[:D]
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta be stoned or stupid, way beyond shill, no other explanation.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1

It's good to see one go our way for a change.
    But Don, 'pure' or perfect' do no exist in the real world, only in the mind of humans.
    Ideology is the opposite of reality![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    But Don, 'pure' or perfect' do no exist in the real world, only in the mind of humans.

Good morning, Jim. Good to see you back.

I agree with part of your statement, and only feel it necessary to point out that we must hold onto that pure and perfect ideology as our standard, whether it exists in reality or not. If we hold to this, and if we are forced to compromise, we must then compromise only from that standard, and not from the lessor standards that are continually being implemented.

It is in this context that I support the GOA and the work of the 2nd Amendment Foundation. These groups do compromise, but they do so from a much stronger (and unchanging) position than do some other groups.

Ideology in this case, then, is not the opposite of reality; rather it is the fixed and unyielding standard by which we measure reality.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1

Good morning, Jim. Good to see you back.

I agree with part of your statement, and only feel it necessary to point out that we must hold onto that pure and perfect ideology as our standard, whether it exists in reality or not. If we hold to this, and if we are forced to compromise, we must then compromise only from that standard, and not from the lessor standards that are continually being implemented.

It is in this context that I support the GOA and the work of the 2nd Amendment Foundation. These groups do compromise, but they do so from a much stronger (and unchanging) position than do some other groups.

Ideology in this case, then, is not the opposite of reality; rather it is the fixed and unyielding standard by which we measure reality.

Is your 'standard' also your 'goal'????
    edited November -1
    Is your 'standard' also your 'goal'????

Of course.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    I have learned to use two rules for goal setting:
    1. Goals MUST be realistic or they are not achievable.
    2. And the goals must be non conflicting.
    You sir have violated the first rule.
    As I said above, 'pure', 'perfect', and I will add 'ideal' do not exist in the REAL world, except in the minds of men!
    So we must strive to do our best to get as close as possible to the 'ideal' while MANAGING the situation.
    You are no different than those who say they will not rest until: all the DUI's are off the street, no one dies of XYZ disease, and on and on. Ideal/perfect/pure will not happen on this earth EVER!!!
    edited November -1
    I have learned to use two rules for goal setting:
    1. Goals MUST be realistic or they are not achievable.
    2. And the goals must be non conflicting.
    You sir have violated the first rule.
    As I said above, 'pure', 'perfect', and I will add 'ideal' do not exist in the REAL world, except in the minds of men!
    So we must strive to do our best to get as close as possible to the 'ideal' while MANAGING the situation.
    You are no different than those who say they will not rest until: all the DUI's are off the street, no one dies of XYZ disease, and on and on. Ideal/perfect/pure will not happen on this earth EVER!!!

I find your rules on goals limiting, Jim.

I cannot think of a time in my life where I limited my goals to simply that which I knew I could achieve. Where is the fun, the adventure, the stretching of the spirit that is, frankly, what life is about?

A low bar is easy to jump. Why not raise it a little?

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Because I am a realist and always will be. I do 'dream' and 'hope' for better things. I do the 'very best' I can at all I do.
    "If it's worth doing it's worth doing right." is one of the most important things I learned from my Dad, rest his soul.
    To set goals you KNOW are unachievable is simply setting yourself up to fail. Just common sense.
    edited November -1
    In the 'Open Carry' thread, Jim, you referenced dreaming of true freedom as compared to those who dream of near complete disarmament. It is instructive to note that this dream of near complete disarmament has been achieved in many countries around the world and in some localities here in the U.S.

Holding that 'dream' as both a standard and a goal has lead to success for the other side in these cases. It was allowed to happen because the idealists on the opposite side continually set their standards and goals lower and lower as those freedoms were compromised away. The shifting foundation of rationalized goals, (reality as you put it) has resulted in the 70+ years of compromise and steadily diminishing rights we live with today.

Lastly, I reject your blanket assumption that we can never have the ideal. Life is being pumped into the U.S. Constitution today as never before in my lifetime. This is not the time to settle based upon on a false sense of reality, or a fear of failure to achieve 100% of that which has been guaranteed to us through our Nation's founding.

It may not happen in my lifetime or yours, but it is unacceptable to compromise our children and grand-children's future like our parents and grandparents did ours. It is up to us to make their reality better than ours. I can handle a little failure here and there with that goal in mind.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Don (bows head), Jim (looks at unsure) [;)][:D]

As it pertains to rkba, I pay little attention to the bar. I just walk around it like the founders wanted. What?[8D]
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Striving for the ideal is what sets a man apart from the mediocrity that is most of the human race.
    edited November -1
    In the 'Open Carry' thread, Jim, you referenced dreaming of true freedom as compared to those who dream of near complete disarmament. It is instructive to note that this dream of near complete disarmament has been achieved in many countries around the world and in some localities here in the U.S.

Holding that 'dream' as both a standard and a goal has lead to success for the other side in these cases. It was allowed to happen because the idealists on the opposite side continually set their standards and goals lower and lower as those freedoms were compromised away. The shifting foundation of rationalized goals, (reality as you put it) has resulted in the 70+ years of compromise and steadily diminishing rights we live with today.

Lastly, I reject your blanket assumption that we can never have the ideal. Life is being pumped into the U.S. Constitution today as never before in my lifetime. This is not the time to settle based upon on a false sense of reality, or a fear of failure to achieve 100% of that which has been guaranteed to us through our Nation's founding.

It may not happen in my lifetime or yours, but it is unacceptable to compromise our children and grand-children's future like our parents and grandparents did ours. It is up to us to make their reality better than ours. I can handle a little failure here and there with that goal in mind.

You are an idealist, I am a realist.
    And the statement you made about complete disarmament being accomplished, not true. The bad guys will ALWAYS be armed, only those who 'obey the law' and don't stand up to the 'bad guys' are not armed. We here in the USA are very fortunate because we have a Constitution which we can point to as 'law', even though the government ,at all levels, have ignored it, as a basis to fight the 'bad guys'.
    The point I was making here is , every time there is a conflict between ideology and reality, by definition, reality wins.
    edited November -1
    The point I was making here is , every time there is a conflict between ideology and reality, by definition, reality wins.

Not so. American Revolution. Ideology becmes reality.

They just got fed-up much easier than we do. I suspect it was the lack of media brainwashing?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

They just got fed-up much easier than we do. I suspect it was the lack of media brainwashing?
    Wrong again. The revolution was based on reality not ideology. In this case as always, reality won out. The old idealistic English way of doing business and treating people wrong was met with the reality of revolution.
    Nice try though.
    edited November -1

Wrong again. The revolution was based on reality not ideology. In this case as always, reality won out. The old idealistic English way of doing business and treating people wrong was met with the reality of revolution.
    Nice try though.
    Actually, the reality of tyrannical British rule was turned on its head and, rather, the ideology/idealism of freedom, independence, individualism and liberty ruled the day, against all odds and against the consistently talked about 'conventional wisdom', such as you have always presented, Jim.

By the way, Jim, welcome back.[:)]
    edited November -1

Nice try though.

lt is correct, as was I. I would say "nice try", but it wasn't. Kinda twisted though. Best ya got? give up.
    edited November -1
    Me give up, you are kidding, right????[:D]
    The reality of which I speak is, you can only 'push' people so far before they 'push' back both individually and/or collectively. We are seeing this occur in America today because people have allowed the progressives to chip away at our traditional values slowly for decades and 'normalize and legalize' their extremism' and with the big push they are making now people are 'pushing' back. I hope they keep pushing, and I hope it is not to little to late, or we may be required to 'put up or shut up'!!!
    Thank you Jeff,
    I don't know just how much time I will have to devote to our discussions, but I will come by when possible. I miss our exchanges, they are thought provoking and good for all!!!