In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where was the NRA on this case?

Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
Sure as heck not defending this poor sap. Oh right, he "broke the law" (as created and interpreted by the BATFE). "Exile" him! [:(!]

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2008/03/13/ldt.tucker.govt.guns.cnn

The only good thing is that even the Commie News Network is beginning to see the light. [}:)]

This was being discussed by the "right wing alternate media" back in January:

...The rifle was seized and sent to the Firearm Technology Branch,the testin arm of the federal agency.
"They examined and test fired the rifle, and declared it to be just a rifle", Savage said, "You would think it would be over at this point, but it was just the beginning."
He said the Special Agent In Charge, Jody Keeku, asked for a re-test, and specifed the tests used "soft primered commercial ammunition."...

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59650

So if at first you don't succeed, try, try again? No kidding people, if you work at it long enough, you can make some things do whatever you want. Maybe they should have ran about 800,000,000 rounds through it to wear everything in good first too.

Search the NRA site for "Olofson" and you get squat.

Search JPFO and you find out they were all over it from day one. Click here

http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/olofson-vs-us.htm

A precedent setting case and the NRA is AWOL again.

Edited ONLY to shorten link.

Comments

• Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lou Dobbs Pt 2:

www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/03/14/tucker.government.guns.part.2.cnn

Send Mr Dobbs an Email.

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?9

It's so rare to see HONEST reporting that we need to praise it LOUDLY.

I can't wait to hear what the NRA has to say about why they weren't involved in the case...

Oh, FWIW here is 47 pages on this subject on ARFCOM started by the guy himself.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=507483
    edited November -1
    Some info on the BATFE's criminal malfesance:

quote:Be aware, however the court never had access to this information. When Olofson's attorneys requested that the court compel BATFE to produce these and other documents proving Olofson's innocence, BATFE's Chief Counsel's Office loftily informed the court that the documents involved contained "tax information" -- namely, a $200 federal excise tax stamp -- and that the court was therefore prohibited from seeing them.

All such documents -- even a BATFE letter to the manufacturer of Olofson's rifle mandating a safety recall in 1986 (due to its going "full auto" if it malfunctioned) -- were kept secret from the judge in the case, Charles N. Clevert, and the rest of the court. BATFE's Chief Counsel told Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory J. Haanstad, who passed it along: "The Court will have take our word that the documents in question contain tax information, and contain no exculpatory evidence".

Haanstad claimed the law does not exempt a malfunction. He claims that it states "any weapon that shoots more than once without manual reloading, per function of the trigger is a machinegun". When Len, acting as a defense expert, took the stand, he asked, "Are you saying if I take my great-granddaddy's double barrel shotgun out and pull one trigger, and both barrels go off, it's a machinegun?". Haanstad cited the law (U.S. Code, Section 5845), restating that "any weapon that shoots ... "

If your semiauto rifle breaks, you are now subject to federal prosecution. Even more ironic, those in the sporting culture, who have derided so-called "black guns" and "assault rifles" for so long, now face a real possibility of their expensive double shotguns being seized, and of possible prosecution, if BATFE's no-standards laboratory -- which has no procedures in writing and does all of its testing in secret -- can make it fire more than once with a single pull of the trigger. If there is information proving their innocence, BATFE can always claim it's tax information, and prevent both judge and jury from considering it...

http://www.jpfo.org/smith/smith-olofson-case.htm
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    This guy jimmied with the gun he lent which wasn't working right in the first place, then got popped for a machinegun; well, if it fired more than ONE round with each pull of the trigger-it IS a machinegun, and needs registration. Lacking that, the guy goes to jail. So What?!
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Hey! I dropped my gun and the NRA wasn't there to pick it up for me. I heard a guy down the street got into trouble for shooting in his backyard. Where was the NRA?

Man, some people want to blame the NRA for everything they either do or don't do. Wish those doing the blaming could be held to such a high standard. But all they do is criticize.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The last two posters are the bookends of the Aces and 8's hand...the dead mans hand for our freedoms.

the attitude they both have is truly a shame for free men to possess.

That is the bane of freedom, tho..so many will eagerly turn over that freedom to slimy empty suits..power-mad sychopaths with nothing but contempt for people that will sell their own heritage out for 'security'.

On that one issue, I hold the same viewpoint as the Elites...
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    This guy jimmied with the gun he lent which wasn't working right in the first place, then got popped for a machinegun; well, if it fired more than ONE round with each pull of the trigger-it IS a machinegun, and needs registration. Lacking that, the guy goes to jail. So What?!

If it is skip-firing, it is not a machine gun, it is a defective weapon that needs fixed. It was not designed to do this, and skip-firing is a dangerous KB condition.

I would have laughed my * off if the JBT who was testing this would have had the gun skip-fire and detonate in his hand. One less JBT.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Hey! I dropped my gun and the NRA wasn't there to pick it up for me. I heard a guy down the street got into trouble for shooting in his backyard. Where was the NRA?

Man, some people want to blame the NRA for everything they either do or don't do. Wish those doing the blaming could be held to such a high standard. But all they do is criticize.

Did you notice somthing? The BATFE SAID that they DON'T CARE whether the gun was designed to be a "machine gun" or not. All it has to do is fire more than one tound with one trigger pull and you are GUILTY of owning a "machine gun".

You don't think that's a dangerous PRECEDENT "worthy" of the supposed power ofthe NRA's sizable Legal Arm?

Let's make this VERY CLEAR

THIS RULING SERIOUSLY JEPRODISES OWNERSHIP OF ANY AND ALL SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARMS

BATFE's Chief Counsel told Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory J. Haanstad, who passed it along: "The Court will have take our word that the documents in question contain tax information, and contain no exculpatory evidence".

Haanstad claimed the law does not exempt a malfunction. He claims that it states "any weapon that shoots more than once without manual reloading, per function of the trigger is a machinegun". When Len Savage, acting as a defense expert, took the stand, he asked, "Are you saying if I take my great-granddaddy's double barrel shotgun out and pull one trigger, and both barrels go off, it's a machinegun?". Haanstad cited the law (U.S. Code, Section 5845(b)), restating that "any weapon that shoots ... "

If your semiauto rifle breaks, you are now subject to federal prosecution. Even more ironic, those in the sporting culture, who have derided so-called "black guns" and "assault rifles" for so long, now face a real possibility of their expensive double shotguns being seized, and of possible prosecution, if BATFE's no-standards laboratory -- which has no procedures in writing and does all of its testing in secret -- can make it fire more than once with a single pull of the trigger. If there is information proving their innocence, BATFE can always claim it's tax information, and prevent both judge and jury from considering it.

Again WHERE WAS THE NRA?!? [:(!]

The BATFE declared the rifle to be fine, but the "out to get him" Agent in charge demanded they "redo" the testing until they got the results they wanted.

The BATFE suppressed exculpatory evidence. It LIED to the jury. The INFORMANT LIED to the jury.

But none of that has made any difference to the AWOL NRA legal department... who aparantly believes as does gunnut505... that the BATFE's "rules" are more important than the potential for the ABUSE of those rules.
    edited November -1
    This is the exculpatory evidence that Judge and Jury weren't allowed to hear:

Olympic Arms/SGW installed M16 parts at the factory during initial production of this rifle. These parts were modified at the factory during initial production into "SP1 configuration" (i.e. the M16 carrier's tail was milled .33" not to trip an auto sear, the M16 hammer had the sear hook milled off, the M16 disconnector had the tail removed, and no modification was done to the M16 trigger or safety/selector).

In this configuration, and in good working order, with the selector stop pin in the lower, the gun would function just like any other modern semi-auto. The ATF was happy with this. If the disconnector became worn, the gun would malfunction with a hammer follow condition as long as the trigger was held. After this discovery was made, ATF demanded that Olympic issue a recall notice on this particular configuration due to the danger to the operator with the potential malfunction.

At some point in this particular gun's history, the malfunction described above occurred. Bladerunner then replaced some of the modified M16 parts installed at the factory during initial production with DPMS AR15 (semi-auto) parts. Which ones? Only Mr. Olofson can tell us exactly. However, even if every FCG part was replaced, the slam-fire malfunction could still occur with a worn disconnector, as the "SP1" carrier that was installed at the factory during initial production has a shrouded FP, and will NOT catch even a notched AR15 hammer. We know for a fact that at least the disconnector was changed, as the malfunction went away afterward (with dozens of witnesses to that).

Now some years later, the rifle was lent to Robert Kerniki, the "kid" in our story. You remember, the kid who claims to have been in combat in Bagdad when this all happened. The one being paid for his testimony. The one with everything to lose if in fact he was the one to screw with any of the internals in the FOUR MONTHS he had the rifle after Olofson gave it to him. The kid caught with the "modified" rifle.

The "modifications" could be as simple as leaving out the safety/selector detent and spring. That, along with a worn disconnector would meet the description of why this gun behaves as it does. The description of an M16 hammer being installed is, I assume, an observation from Len Savage, as he is the only person not in the employ of the BATFE to view the gun in question. I understand he got a quick look while on the witness stand.

At this point, with the non-standardized and destructive testing that the BATFE has done (repeated firing of the gun at >1200 RPM with soft-primered ammo), along with their penchant to "readily restore" guns in their possession, I wouldn't be surprised if a DPMS semi-auto hammer appeared (due to purposeful action or neglect in repeated slam-fires) to be a "modified" FA hammer (i.e. no notch, no sear tail).

**NONE of this info was given to Judge or Jury. Why? It's all "privileged tax information" according to the BATFE. Olympic cant' divulge the info as their documentation went up in smoke (literally - they had a catastrophic fire some years back) and the BATFE decided it won't release the info (despite the order to compel). Unfortunately, the Judge bought that lie. And make no mistake, that's what is was; a willful and malicious lie on the part of the BATFE, repeated by AUSA Hanstaad, in order to bar the evidence that would exonerate Olofson. [:(!]
    edited November -1
    Ever word beggers the REAL issue.

None of the governments damn business. the agency and all supporters ought to be tried in courts of law for their acts against humanity and the Constitution.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Ever word beggers the REAL issue.

None of the governments damn business. the agency and all supporters ought to be tried in courts of law for their acts against humanity and the Constitution.
    My (rehtorical) question is "Why haven't they been charged already?"

Applicable Law #1: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000241----000-.html

Applicable Law #2: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000242----000-.html
    edited November -1
    They haven't been charged simply because the Justice system is corrupted beyond repair.

Add that to the fact that there ain't enough balls collectively left in America to play jacks with...and the situation appears desperate.