In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

California registration

OlGeezerOlGeezer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi, I got a shotgun that was given to me about 20 years ago, never rigisteres. Do I need to do this. Also this is in California

Comments

• RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    It depends upon whether you believe in the US Constitution in general and the Second Amendment specifically.
  • OlGeezerOlGeezer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.it was my understanding that registration is just for handguns and rifles. Am I wrong? The familymember hat gave it to me years ago said nothing about paperwork.
  • impactcoimpactco Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are fine with it as is. No registration necessary.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Only handguns and so called "assault weapons" are registered in California. There is no requirement to register any other firearms.
    edited November -1
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nothing there pertaining to any sort of registration at all.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    I would never volutarily tell the go'ment that I have anything. I've bought several firearms in years past and filled out that "yellow form" that BATF requests. However, after seeing all the possibilities that could be reality with the go'ment taking our guns, I've done tons of face-to-face purchases (no paperwork) and sold the ones that BATF had me on record for.

Now I'm BATF free, with exception of my class IIIs.

So, if I were you, I'd never tell Californiacation about the gun.
  • OlGeezerOlGeezer Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
  • SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RogueStatesman--those quotes in your signature say alot!! I like 'em!

Courage is fear that has said its prayers ~Dorothy Bernard
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Skeedaddy
    RogueStatesman--those quotes in your signature say alot!! I like 'em!

Courage is fear that has said its prayers ~Dorothy Bernard

Thank you sir! And tell Ms. Bernard she sure knows what she's talking about! [;)][:D]
  • IfticarIfticar Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Somebody asks about the law and gets replied to with propaganda. Not helpful.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ifticar

You call it propaganda if you want, we call it history and LAW as set forth by the founding fathers of OUR country. If you do not understand the communistic laws of where you live, then it time to move or do something about it.

DO NOT presume to tell us what the 2nd Amendment says or means until you have read it and understand it.

Lance
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ifticar,

Stay in CA. You fit right in. Hell, with an belief system like yours, you may be able to secure a position as a legislator.

You posted a thread not long ago, practically begging folks to change their stance on shipping firearms to CA, then you have the gall to refer to the 2nd Amendment as 'propaganda'. Here you go; straight from your keyboard:

FFLs who will not ship to California are supporting gun control. I am asking all of you buyers in the rest of the country not buy from these dealers who support gun control

Many sellers proudly proclaim that they will not ship guns to California. They seem to think that their support of the the California Gun Control Laws makes them special. They are special. Very special. Their support of California Gun Control laws is a threat to all the nation's gunners. What starts in California often ends up in other states. The smoking Nazis got their start in California 30 years ago. Have they reached your State yet?

The liberals in this state are doing everything they can to limit our Second Amendment Rights. They made the verify-before-shipping laws expressly for the purpose if keeping guns out of California. These FFLs are playing right into their hands. These FFLs are helping the liberals violate our Second Amendment rights.

I have seen some of these proud, gun control supporting FFLs say that it is up to the beleaguered California gun owners to get the laws changed. A few milliseconds of thought would show how ridicules this is. We have no more chance against the liberal juggernaut in this state than you do against liberal juggernaut that have made all those restrictive firearms laws at the federal level.

States all over the Nation are always dealing with liberal attempts to limit our Second Amendment rights. If they see that California's attempt to limit the import of guns is working they may try to duplicate the law. If they do, these Gun Control supporting FFLs will be right there with them supporting the law by not shipping to you. Your best chance of avoiding this is to fight the problem now. Fighte the problem by not dealing with Gun Control supporting FFLs.

I am begging all you gun buyers outside of California to support California gunners and yourself. Support California gunners and your own future gun rights. Please do not do business with any of these gun control supporting FFLs. It may seem like their actions are only hurting California residents but this is not the case. Any support for any Gun Control hurts us all.

The hypocrisy is so thick, you could cut it.

GO POUND SAND.[:(!]

You are getting exactly what you deserve.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    +1 wsfiredude.... thought something was OFF the first time I read it, thanks for clearin that up[8D]
    Ifticar what part of shall not be infringed do you not get?..........and how do you figure its propaganda, wsfiredude is right![}:)]

oldgeezer sorry to have hijacked your thread but to my knowledge, no, you do not have to register a "family"[;)] gun such as the one you stated. I wouldnt anyway, and Rouge already gave you the spill on that one[:)]
    edited November -1
    You guys are using the debate tactics of the liberals. You are acting like Olbermann. You are taking my words and twisting into something they were not.

Get off you bandwagon and look at the guy's question.

The guy asked a question about the law. The law may be a crappy law. It may not be a fair law. But it is the law. It is the law that he wants to understand to stay out of jail. Rather than answering the guys question you choose to take a big crap in the middle of the thread.

Preaching about the Second Amendment did nothing to answer the guy's question. Preaching about the Second Amendment did nothing to help keep the guy out of jail. There are probably dozens of threads here where you can preach the gospel. A gospel that I agree with. A gospel that needs to be preached. It is a good gospel but a gospel being preached in the wrong place for the wrong reason. It is also a gospel, which by the way, is being violated by Gun Control FFLs who will not ship to Californians.
    edited November -1
    You guys are using the debate tactics of the liberals. You are acting like Olbermann. You are taking my words and twisting into something they were not.

Get off you bandwagon and look at the guy's question.

The guy asked a question about the law. The law may be a crappy law. It may not be a fair law. But it is the law. It is the law that he wants to understand to stay out of jail. Rather than answering the guys question you choose to take a big crap in the middle of the thread.

Preaching about the Second Amendment did nothing to answer the guy's question. There are probably dozens of threads here where you can preach to gospel. A gospel that I agree with. A gospel that needs to be preached. A gospel, which by the way, is being violated by Gun Control FFLs who will not ship to Californians.

You Californians screwed up your state no one else . lets put that to bed first[}:)]

Secondly his question has been answered in several posts, You however are another............for lack of a better word I would say troll, yet I am not convinced of that, and you have not proven that so for now you still have the benefit of the doubt! and I mean no offense. But look here the second amendment is real and if you dont believe it and support it you are gonna catch hell around here..... period! Its not the FFLs fault your state makes it so hard to ship to califonia....... heres an Idea..........MOVE the hell outta there, California can break off and sink in the ocean for all alot of people care right now[:)]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well is the 2A gospel or propaganda? Make up your mind, or does that depend on what day of the week it is?[B)]
    edited November -1
    I have said all I am going to say in this thread.

Carry on.
  • darkwaterdarkwater Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahordnk
    The liberal majority of You Californians screwed up your state no one else . lets put that to bed first[}:)]

Fixed it for you!
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have said all I am going to say in this thread.

Carry on.

Wish you would do that on ALL the other threads also! You need to get over your cranial/rectum inversion and realize his question was answered, more than once. You spew your crap and try to tell us it smells like roses, when we can tell it don't.

Go away little troll, go back into the closet and be happy.
    edited November -1
    This is simply another example of what is wrong with our country: people who believe that the US Constitution is "propaganda."
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    This is simply another example of what is wrong with our country: people who believe that the US Constitution is "propaganda."
    Yep, truly sad.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Preaching about the Second Amendment did nothing to answer the guy's question. Preaching about the Second Amendment did nothing to help keep the guy out of jail. There are probably dozens of threads here where you can preach the gospel. A gospel that I agree with. A gospel that needs to be preached. It is a good gospel but a gospel being preached in the wrong place for the wrong reason. It is also a gospel, which by the way, is being violated by Gun Control FFLs who will not ship to Californians.
    This statement demonstrates a fundamental ignorance of Amendment II and what it is clearly intended to restrain.

Seems a typical Kali/NRA-esque position.

News-flash.......Amendment II is a restraint on "government" from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms. It has zero bearing on what a private citizen should or can do in this area.

Free individuals are free to sell to another individual or to persons in a particular state, or not.

It is that simple.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Free individuals are free to sell to another individual or to persons in a particular state, or not.

It is that simple.

Captain,

Agree 100%.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how some folks can take something so simple and unambiguos, and make it complex.

I equate it with attempting to pole vault over mouse turds.

Then again, with many folks, it is not so much their lack of 'understanding' the RTKBA, but rather their lack of acceptance of it and what it means.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

It is that simple.

Captain,

Agree 100%.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how some folks can take something so simple and unambiguos, and make it complex.

Then again, with many folks, it is not so much their lack of 'understanding' the RTKBA, but rather their lack of acceptance of it and what it means.
    A solid summary Shane. Spot-on.

On a side note, the "moose turd" analogy is a hoot![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

It is that simple.

Captain,

Agree 100%.

A solid summary Shane. Spot-on.

On a side note, the "moose turd" analogy is a hoot![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Thought you might like that one.[:D]
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, it is a sad time that we live in when fellow Americans judge and condemn us based on our state of residence. By California law, all guns, other than muzzle loaders and pellet guns have to be registered in the state of Ca. There is and has been a $35.00 back ground check and a 15 day waiting period for any firearm sold or given since 1992, I'm not positive on the date. Legally, I cannot buy a single shot .22 rifle and give it to any of my grandchildren, or anyone else for that matter. My son can buy the rifle and when the child turns 18 years old he or she has to do the background check and 15 day waiting period to take ownership of the rifle. There are good people living and working in California, but we are outnumbered by the radicals. Too bad that some members of the forum do not realise this. At any rate, if you have had the gun for 20 years, I would do nothing about it, simply state that you have had it since before registration, a true statement. Eddie VFW & NRA life member
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Sir, it is a sad time that we live in when fellow Americans judge and condemn us based on our state of residence.

Sir;
    Allow me to clarify the situation a bit.
    Most of the condamnation comes about by the steady stream of California citizens that show up here demanding that the free states sell them weapons.insisting that we too bow to the Communist leaders you folks insist upon electing.

Most of those California citizens, when pressed, admit that they support NICS checks, or some other perversion of the Second.
    INSTANTLY, it is obvious that that person is unworthy of calling themselves an American.

We actually have a member or two here on this forum that is FROM California, and valued members they are, indeed. Such a rare species, from that land of fruits and perverts.individuals versed in the Constitution, and insisting upon obedience to it.

In short, you do not get respect just because you are breathing.

You EARN respect from this group on this forum. The vast majority of the people in California have demonstrated that they are not worth a plugged nickel.

Sorry..but you folks did it to yourself.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Sir, it is a sad time that we live in when fellow Americans judge and condemn us based on our state of residence.

It is not your state of residence we have a problem with, rather, your state of mind.
    edited November -1
    I gotta agree. all The people in California ain't Worthless its just that the liberal majority of you are, You can Earn respect here as HighBall stated but I suggest moving, There are plenty of other states where you can give your grandson his 22 and thats it.....its his! California can break off at the Fault line drift out in the ocean and sink for all alot of people round here care[:)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Idaho! Actually, the big fault line, the San Andreas, runs along the coaast from San Francisco south towards L.A., so if that part of CA fell off, conservatives would probably outnumber liberals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sanandreas.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by darkwater
    Thanks, Idaho! Actually, the big fault line, the San Andreas, runs along the coaast from San Francisco south towards L.A., so if that part of CA fell off, conservatives would probably outnumber liberals.

Not likely, and for sure, individualist would be far outnumbered by collectivists, even if that portion of Kali disappeared.

It is what it is.
  • miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OlGeezer
    Hi, I got a shotgun that was given to me about 20 years ago, never rigisteres. Do I need to do this. Also this is in California
    The answere is No you are not required even it was a modern 30-06
    Mike
  • ringchildringchild Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By California law, all guns, other than muzzle loaders and pellet guns have to be registered in the state of Ca.

not true.
    the ONLY firearms that need to be registered in kalifornia are assault weapons and handguns bought with a paper trail attached..
    true, you are supposed to register a handgun when you move into the state with one. failure to do so is a misdemeanor which has a 1 year and 60 day statute of limitations:
    PC12072(f)
    (2) (A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a
    pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
    the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one
    of the following:

[either register or sell the firearm]

(4) (A) It is the intent of the Legislature that a violation of
    paragraph (2) or (3) shall not constitute a "continuing offense" and
    the statute of limitations for commencing a prosecution for a
    violation of paragraph (2) or (3) commences on the date that the
    applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires.

now, it is true that any weapon purchased in kali needs to be dros'd, but there is no law mandating that all firearms in one's possession need to be registered.
    the only time it becomes a very serious issue, as far as i know, is if one needs to use it for self defense, or decides to carry w/o a permit. if the weapon is registered to the person carrying, it is a misdemeanor. if the weapon is unreg'd, it's a felony to carry w/o a permit.
    as for rifles, one can travel out of state, buy one, and bring it back home. totally legal (as long as it's not an aw).

know and use what rights and loopholes are left out here, or those will disappear as well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by darkwater

Not likely, and for sure, individualist would be far outnumbered by collectivists, even if that portion of Kali disappeared.

It is what it is.

Now, see...you've gone and changed the parameters...we were talking about apples and oranges, and now you've made it peaches and pears.
  • Deadred707Deadred707 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, it is a sad time that we live in when fellow Americans judge and condemn us based on our state of residence. By California law, all guns, other than muzzle loaders and pellet guns have to be registered in the state of Ca.
    Nope

There is and has been a $35.00 back ground check and a 15 day waiting period for any firearm sold or given since 1992, I'm not positive on the date.
    No its 10 days

Legally, I cannot buy a single shot .22 rifle and give it to any of my grandchildren, or anyone else for that matter.
    Wrong intrafamilial transfers pc.12078(c)(1) means long guns are paperless. There is no fee, there is no notification, and there is no age limit.Also parent to child, grandparent to grandchild are Good to go under this.

My son can buy the rifle and when the child turns 18 years old he or she has to do the background check and 15 day waiting period to take ownership of the rifle.
    Wrong again see above.

There are good people living and working in California, but we are outnumbered by the radicals. Too bad that some members of the forum do not realise this. At any rate, if you have had the gun for 20 years, I would do nothing about it, simply state that you have had it since before registration, a true statement.
    So you can point to the Cali pc. and show me where we have to registor a long gun that is not a AW???... I didnt think so.

Eddie VFW & NRA life member

FUD = fear, uncertainty, doubt
    Get the facts first befor you stick you foot in your mouth.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, Mr. Deadred lives in prk, wherever that is and knows more than I do about Ca. laws. By the way, 10 WORKING days equals a 15 day waiting period. Take a chance, make the wrong decision and end up in Prison. Be vewwy vewwy cautious and don't take advice from someone whom you don't know. Caution is the order of the day, look under the bridge before you jump into the water, trolls are everywhere, Eddie
  • ringchildringchild Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, Mr. Deadred lives in prk, wherever that is

i'll go out on a limb here, but i'm assuming it stands for
    people's republic of kalifornia

you are correct about one thing.
    trolls are everywhere.
  • miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    * Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.
    SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.

Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g)).

Home - Office of the Attorney General, State of California - Department of Justice

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

End of argument!
  • Deadred707Deadred707 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, Mr. Deadred lives in prk, wherever that is and knows more than I do about Ca. laws. By the way, 10 WORKING days equals a 15 day waiting period. Take a chance, make the wrong decision and end up in Prison. Be vewwy vewwy cautious and don't take advice from someone whom you don't know. Caution is the order of the day, look under the bridge before you jump into the water, trolls are everywhere, Eddie

240 hrs and 1 second from time of sale not 15 days.[B)]
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    You know who else had a shotgun that was given to him about 20 years ago, never rigisteres.

HITLER!