In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Confusion on law & antiques??

AntiqueWeapons.orgAntiqueWeapons.org Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
So, if a gun is originally & actually manufactured prior to 1898, but shoots centerfire or rimfire ammunition, is it exempt from GCA 1968? I re-read it several times & I don't see it clearly as it only refers to this ammunition in regards to replicas.

They make it so confusing..

Comments

• AntiqueWeapons.orgAntiqueWeapons.org Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also makes it confusing that replica's are not exempt if they can be converted to shoot centerfire or rimfire, but alot of original black powder pistols can be converted with a conversion cylinder.

I am mainly confused by & concerned with original items prior to 1898, or do the limitations regarding ammunition only apply to reproduction/replicas.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Anything made before 1898, regardless of ammunition type, IS NOT considered a firearm. Which is why we recently saw a bunch of places advertising pre-1898 Turkish Mausers, no FFL required.

New-manufacture replicas of pre-1898 designs ARE firearms, however. So, if I copied a Turkish Mauser down to the arabic numerals, it would still be considered a firearm.

Anything black powder - that cannot be converted using a cyclinder - is not a firearm.
  • AntiqueWeapons.orgAntiqueWeapons.org Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    Anything made before 1898, regardless of ammunition type, IS NOT considered a firearm. Which is why we recently saw a bunch of places advertising pre-1898 Turkish Mausers, no FFL required.

New-manufacture replicas of pre-1898 designs ARE firearms, however. So, if I copied a Turkish Mauser down to the arabic numerals, it would still be considered a firearm.

Anything black powder - that cannot be converted using a cyclinder - is not a firearm.

Thank you. just needed to clear up some confusion.