In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Charlton Heston... NRA's man.

Old IronsightsOld Ironsights Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
Many many people have been commenting around the 'net on how much good Mr "cold dead hands" did for RKBA. Well, maybe that ONE sound bite was positive, but not much else was. It was all spin.

While I really liked Heston as an Honorable Man, an Excellent Actor, all around Good Guy and Civil Rights Advocate, his "Championing" of RKBA has always been an NRA PR put on.

Mr Heston NEVER liked EBRs - he decried AKs publicly (on the Radio in 1997 & 2002) describing them as "scary" and that they "possess more firepower than necessary for hunting and self-defense" , and was, in fact, such a staunch champion of the 1968 GCA that the NRA called him on it.

His entre' into NRA Politics was just that - Politics... designed to put a Big Name on an organization that was bound and determined to kick out its RKBA "hardliners" (Neil Knox et. al.) and become a more Media Oriented Fundraising Machine.

http://www.gunownersalliance.com/moses-1.htm
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/661606/posts
http://www.nrawol.net/NRA_Leadership.html#Heston record
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/images/ak-heston_500w.jpg

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are the victim of (NRA) Media Manipulation and distortion of the facts.

But then, I guess, given "Joke" Jackson's comments on EBRs (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE) Heston's position can hardly seem out of line for LaPierre's New NRA... :roll:

Oh, how I miss Neil Knox. :(

Comments

• jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    And with a retarded citizenry, all you need is a little spin.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    OI;
    Thanks.

I got nauseated over on General when Heston died..the singing of praises was endless...or so it seemed. Not very popular was I for pointing out that the man was anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment...and holding him up as such was a prime indication of what the NRA stood for.

Also...what MANY gun owners stand for.
    I have long since grown tired of the endless mantra of "The man is dead..speak no ill of him".
    I want those same folks to tell me all about what a great man Hitler was...and as far as I am concerned..anti-gunners and Hitler differ only a few degrees.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me Heston was just a well known mouthpiece for the NRA. For so long the only person that non gun owners had really associated as the main guy at the NRA was and is Wayne LaPierre. He was the one you always saw on tv when there was a gun issue in the forefront. With Heston "leading the way" I think the NRA belived their numbers would grow and not be seen as nuts by non gun owners(I am not speaking of anti-gunners here as they are a lost cause) I have for a very long time felt Wayne is the NRA's biggest problem and that they are far more concerned with cowtowing to politicians than preserving RKBA. Maybe they need a good housecleaning.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If Heston woul;d have said what he ment, perhaps things would be different.

"From my cold dead hands! Unless the government tells me otherwise."
  • frousseaufrousseau Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The first thing you do is tear down their Hero's, then their public Speakers, Then the Companies that support these men and Ideas. IN the end Our Propaganda will win and we will Take over a mild people who have forgotten they had Heros". Communist Manifesto in so many words. Now you pick on Carlton Heston, later we all get on President Bush and later we vote for Obama or Hilary, then watch our Freedoms go down the Drain. Heston was and is a Great Man, maybe he didn't like AK's but he did Love America and promoted the 2nd Amendment, that is really what counts and denouncing the Man loosens the mortar between the bricks of Freedom and the 2nd Amendment. So spread your Hate like Neal Knox did and watch the Results. If you don't like one Man on our side, you can always find fault with another, because we all have faults. I remember when Arizona had in their Deer Hunting Requirments; "NO DAMN M1 Carbines", but I don't hate Arizona.
  • gunphreakgunphreak Member Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder... does anyone know exactly what Charlton Heston's aversion to AK's was from??

I would like to know if he would have said the same about an AR-15. He may have just been like me, with a certain aversion to commie guns, and not the type of rifle it is.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The following link reports the interview where Heston states that it is inappropriate for Private Citizens to own AK-47s. Some time afterwards he dissembles by saying that he was referring to full-auto AKs.

Either way, he demonstrated the NRA penchant for preferring that government make the final decision as to what us untrustworthy Private Citizens be allowed to possess.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-47.html
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    As I said before; "Create Infighting among the people, divide them, then Conquer them". I can plainly see this is a slam against Heston because Knox for whatever reason lost in the voting or whatever. But let us all be truthful...Have we never said anything, or said it the wrong way, we later were sorry for ? Stop fighting each other and fight for the United States of America, the Constitution and the Right to be Free.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by frousseau

"The first thing you do is tear down their Hero's, then their public Speakers, Then the Companies that support these men and Ideas. IN the end Our Propaganda will win and we will Take over a mild people who have forgotten they had Heros". Communist Manifesto in so many words.

What is all that blather about?

Speaking about and or pointing out specific truths has become....what....part of the Communist manifesto?

Now you pick on Carlton Heston, later we all get on President Bush and later we vote for Obama or Hilary, then watch our Freedoms go down the Drain.

I will be kind and merely call this "tortured logic".

Heston was and is a Great Man, maybe he didn't like AK's but he did Love America and promoted the 2nd Amendment, that is really what counts and denouncing the Man loosens the mortar between the bricks of Freedom and the 2nd Amendment.

Heston was a great actor IMO.

He may well have been a truly great man also, but not having personal knowledge of his character, I can't say. To do so would simply be a supposition on my part, now wouldn't it.

I'll give the point about his loving America to you.

As to promoting the "2nd Amendment", well, he promoted his understanding and the NRA's version of it.

Like it or not, agree or not, the simple fact is that Amendment II is clear and simple in its text and meaning.

As one of the Bill of Rights, it was enumerated specifically and was done so to expressly prohibit government from infringing or interfering with the RTKBA, period.

You can twist, turn, dodge, duck and weave all you want, but it is what it is.

If you choose to not like what the clear text of Amendment II states, that is fine. As an American you may do so all day, every day. Nontheless, not liking what it clearly says and clearly means doesn't change it.

Bottom-line, Mr. Heston, like yourself it seems, failed to support Amendment II as it is written and as it is clearly intended.

Congratulations, you are in the distinct majority in your views, however, that doesn't make those views correct.

You both may like guns, you both may like the ability to have them, but you both seem to be supportive, or at least accepting of, government infrinigements/controls in doing so.

That isn't supporting the "2nd Amendment". It is supporting the availability of guns to certain people.

Two different animals sir.

So spread your Hate like Neal Knox did and watch the Results.

Neal Knox merely stood up to the "vaunted NRA" over what the Constitution states and what Amendment II says.

That is not spreading hate.

The problem came when he took a stand for the simple truth, pointed out that the NRA supported something different than what they claimed to support and was subsequently villified for doing so.

Hate doesn't enter into it as far as I can see, unless of course, that feeling comes over you when your failure to acknowledge the simple and clear meaning of Amendment II is pointed out to you and by default, you realize that you are taking an opposite position to that simple, clear meaning and verbage.

I have refered to this phenominon before as the "red haze of hate" which regularly emminates from those who have to take a look at their own positions, while the yardstick of Amendment II is held up as a measure and some find themselves lacking.

If you don't like one Man on our side, you can always find fault with another, because we all have faults. I remember when Arizona had in their Deer Hunting Requirments; "NO DAMN M1 Carbines", but I don't hate Arizona.

Well now, that analogy certainly proves you point, now doesn't it?
    edited November -1
    Seems like I hit a Nerve, maybe you don't remember how many pieces of the Constitution Clinton torn down and how many more he would have torn down with his ideas had not we, The NRA, GOA, Neil Knox and all the others fought against him. You can call him what you will because we still have the First Amendment, but Heston was a Patriot and Proved it by fighting in World War II, by Championing HUman Rights, the 2nd Amendment, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. You might find Tortured Logic in this but if you will re-read your comments, you might find it Tortured also. "We Must Work Together or we will Hang Together" and that isn't Tortured Logic, thats what is called Common Sense. Thats the Point, I see so Much bile for everyone out there that isn't for this Organization, for this Man, against this man, and all of it is against LOGIC. As I said, if we don't Work Together, we'll hang together'. You'll learn to Work Together if either Clinton or Obama is Elected, otherwise....
    edited November -1
    You'll learn to Work Together if either Clinton or Obama is Elected, otherwise....

HA! We will NOT "comprimise". Only a fool comprimises in a way that he gains NOTHING.

All of us regulars on this forum UNDERSTAND what the Constitution and the Bill of Rights says AND means.

You think we divide the masses. I say WE are the only ones that readily defend and are prepared to SAVE the sorry butts of the masses when SHTF.

The storm is coming, even if you want to plug your head in the sand and ignore it.
    edited November -1
    Seems like I hit a Nerve, (Not here you didn't. Merely taking the opportunity to address what I see as wrong thinking) maybe you don't remember how many pieces of the Constitution Clinton torn down (I remember very well that William Clinton was anti-constitution. I also remember all the other anti-constitution politicians and presidents from both wings of the Globalist Party that we have been plagued with. What is your point?)and how many more he would have torn down with his ideas had not we, The NRA, GOA, Neil Knox and all the others fought against him. You can call him what you will because we still have the First Amendment, (I didn't "call" him anything. I merely pointed out that he didn't support Amendment II of the US Constitution's Bill of Rights, contrary to the claim you made.) but Heston was a Patriot and Proved it by fighting in World War II, by Championing HUman Rights, the 2nd Amendment, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. You might find Tortured Logic in this (The logic that I found "tourtured" was this quote from you sir: "Now you pick on Carlton Heston, later we all get on President Bush and later we vote for Obama or Hilary, then watch our Freedoms go down the Drain" and "denouncing the Man loosens the mortar between the bricks of Freedom and the 2nd Amendment. So spread your Hate like Neal Knox did and watch the Results."I liken it to some other "tortured" logic previously spewed by certain animal rights activists, e.g. "a rat, is a pig, is a dog, is a boy") but if you will re-read your comments, you might find it Tortured also. "We Must Work Together or we will Hang Together" and that isn't Tortured Logic, thats what is called Common Sense. Thats the Point, I see so Much bile for everyone out there that isn't for this Organization, for this Man, against this man, and all of it is against LOGIC. (Another misread of the point being made. It isn't about a plea for support for any "man", or a particular "organization", it is simply about adhering to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. THAT is the logic of it all, the logic which seems impossible for so many to grasp)As I said, if we don't Work Together, we'll hang together'. (I don't want to and will not work with anyone who doesn't support the US Constitution and its Bill of Rights. It is as simple as that.)You'll learn to Work Together if either Clinton or Obama is Elected, otherwise....(No, I won't. See the above reason)